Menu

How Well did Cathy Duffy do at matching you with curriculum?

Guest Xapis10

I'd be curious to know the "success rate," people have had with using Cathy Duffy (or HomeEdExpert) to match you with material that was great for your family.

Cathy Duffy? Not at all. Not even close. I appreciate her reviews and all, but my dc never matched up with her learning styles and not with her recommendations for each learning style.

We finished hsing before HomeEdExpert was invented (I have never heard of it, in fact).

• Like 1

Cathy Duffy? Not at all. Not even close. I appreciate her reviews and all, but my dc never matched up with her learning styles and not with her recommendations for each learning style.

We finished hsing before HomeEdExpert was invented (I have never heard of it, in fact).

This is a good point, Ellie.  

Her learning styles reviews were not terribly helpful to us.  They just didn't match our situation. What HAS been helpful was just having her book and on-line resources to see what is out there and compare and contrast when doing research for material.  Very helpful.  But her learning style recommendations?  Actually, those weren't terribly helpful at all.

I have also liked being able to lend the book to potential local homeschoolers so they can see that there are lots of curriculum options out there and this isn't some fringe weird thing that people who want to lock their kids in basements do (homeschooling is not well known at all in our area). :)

• Like 1

I remember doing it when the thread first was posted ;) it took probably 20-30 minutes to complete and told me I should be doing weaver, TOG or BJU. I would go with the advice on the boards here over spending the money on the site ;)

Cathy Duffy's suggestions have been right-on for everything so far.

My oldest kid does not match any of her descriptions though. He's sort of a mix of everything depending on the subject. I like her curriculum reviews. They've been extremely influential on my curriculum choice. I wish I would have read all her reviews before I ever started buying any curriculum, I would have saved a lot of money. So now I always check her reviews first.

If I made $10 for every suggestion I made IRL during my first five years homeschooling & had to pay back $15 for the ones that didn't work for them, I'd be in the hole quite a bit.... I'd be closer to even during the last four years.  :lol:

• Like 1