Menu

SOTW question

There are many chapters that we find one or more of the activities fun or something we are able to do, but there are some that they activities just don't strike my fancy, so we end up just doing the story, the questions, the narrations and the map. Am I alone with this...or do others simply not do some of the activities and yet feel their children are getting "enough" from the other stuff? I do plan to add a timeline...we are going to try and play catch up this summer, so by fall we can add to it as we go along. I was doing the lapbook on Run of the Mill's blog, but we have gone as far as she has...and I don't know when she will get back to it. DOes anybody know?

How does SOTW look like in your home?

No, we don't do every project! We are in vol. 4 now, and rarely do any projects except memory work, poetry, mapwork, extra reading, timeling and extra worksheets that they provide for some chapters. We have done maybe 2 art projects w/SOTW4 this year altogether. We do meaningful academic work now instead of projects and crafts.

In vol. 1 we did tons of arts and crafts and activities, but still not every one the whole year.

We go back to vol.1 next year w/my 3rd grader, so I am sure we will do more than now, but still less than we did the 1st time just because my children have grown up and have more schoolwork to do than the 1st time I did it with a 6 and 4 yr old.

We rarely do projects. We do the color pages and maps as we listen to the story. Then we do the test as a worksheet. We also do the lapbook that does with Ancients. His recall is great with thos method.

using the tests as worksheets...that is interesting. I haven't thought of that. What types of questions are on the tests....I mean, fill in the blank, matching, short answer, etc....

I am always thinking that review is good. I don't plan on going through SOTW again (a second time), but I am wondering if it would be a good review to get the tests from the previous books (we are finishing up SOTW 2) and do one a day or 3 a week or something like that this summer. History is not my stong suit either, so I would benefit too. What do you think??

We definitely did not do a project every week. I wanted to, but that was not reality. We did several, but not many at all. There were plenty more I wanted to fo but didn't get to. Around Christmas I realized how little projects were getting done and we switched to doing notebooking pages to at least have some extra interaction with the material, that we consistently got done almost every week. I just printed a big empty box at the top of a page and lines at the bottom for a narration. This was my extent of "crafty" most weeks. :lol: We did do an archaelogical dig, African cave art, carved hieroglyphics and cuneiform from clay, wrote her name in Greek letters, made Greek paper dolls and stickers and a few more, so hey, at least we have something for the portfolio! ;)

This summer we plan to "review" by rereading many of the lit/picture books we read, and I hope to get in a project or 2 . . . I really wanted to make that phonecian boat out of ice cream! :tongue_smilie:

We don't do projects every week. Some weeks we just read the text, complete a narration of it, and do the mapwork. That's more than enough, really, to provide a wonderful understanding of history in early elementary.

On weeks where we have time and there's a project that I know we'll love, we do it. (The chicken mummy just HAD to be done here!)

One thing that I have done pretty consistently is to have on hand extra books to read related to the history topic. I've used the recommendations from SOTW, plus others that I can find in our local library. I may read some of these to my girls together, or they read them on their own.

We will probably do more like one or two projects a month. If a project looks do-able, fun and like it would add to their learning then we do it. If its too complicated or doesn't seem like it reenforces the reading too much, we skip it. We already have hands-on for science and art, so I'm not too eager to add a ton more.