Menu

Is there are way to type a macron and a breve in Word?

The characters are not found in Word per se, they are actually on your computer. You just need to know what keys to hit in order for the characters to emerge in your document. Here is the link to a helpful chart that gives html code and also key combinations for Mac OS and Windows to unlock the hidden characters on your keyboard. Open the chart and you'll see what I mean.

I'd also like to recommend a book that not only gives a number of hidden characters found on your pc, but also teaches how to make type look more professional. The name of the book is The PC is not a Typewriter by Robin Williams (not the actor). The original book, The Mac is not a Typewriter is also available for Mac users. Robin Williams is a real expert on type, page layout and design. She also has a book called The Non-Designer's Design Book that I recommend to anyone that desires to create better looking documents - a really great tool for homeschool families!

Blessings,

Lucinda

If this is something you'll be doing a lot of, read up on the Autotext feature of Word. It takes a bit of setting up, but can save so much time down the line. Autotext was designed for large or often repeated blocks of text, but is also useful for mathematical formulas and words that are a pain to input.

The characters are not found in Word per se, they are actually on your computer. You just need to know what keys to hit in order for the characters to emerge in your document. Here is the link to a helpful chart that gives html code and also key combinations for Mac OS and Windows to unlock the hidden characters on your keyboard. Open the chart and you'll see what I mean.

I'd also like to recommend a book that not only gives a number of hidden characters found on your pc, but also teaches how to make type look more professional. The name of the book is The PC is not a Typewriter by Robin Williams (not the actor). The original book, The Mac is not a Typewriter is also available for Mac users. Robin Williams is a real expert on type, page layout and design. She also has a book called The Non-Designer's Design Book that I recommend to anyone that desires to create better looking documents - a really great tool for homeschool families!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I love Robin Williams! When I was just getting into page layout/design, I devoured her books :-)

I love Robin Williams! When I was just getting into page layout/design, I devoured her books :-)

Yes! When I studied graphic design in college she was always on the book list. Very smart lady...I owe alot of what I know and use today to her.

:001_smile:

Blessings,

Lucinda