Menu

Starting Megawords

Should I start my great spelling 5th grader in book 1, just so I'm sure she learns the rules and the Megawords "way" of doing things?

According to the website, it looks like Book 1 is for 4th grade, then it goes all the way through high school. Have you found this to be fairly accurate?

I would not skip book 1 at all since it lays the foundation for the rest of the books. Book 1 teaches all the rules of syllabication which are critical for the rest of the books.

We are doing book 1 now and it is not too easy at all even though my ds is a fantastic speller already.

I would not skip book 1 at all since it lays the foundation for the rest of the books. Book 1 teaches all the rules of syllabication which are critical for the rest of the books.
This. :)

Here are some links:

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/details.cfm?seriesonly=900M for Megawords

http://soprislearning.com/cs/Satellite?c=CLG_Content_C&childpagename+Sopris%2FSopris_Layout&cid=127 for Rewards (type Rewards in the Product Finder on the left side of the page).

This will give you some info, but there are other sites that have the items available for a cheaper price.

• 1 month later...

One of my dd's is in AAS 3 (not the one starting Megawords).

After reviewing Megawords 1, I'm still under the impression that it's better to start with book 1. The layout is very different than AAS, since it is workbook/writing based and even though you could move through it quickly, I think it would be confidence building and help the child learn the "Megawords way."

That's my opinion, not having started Megawords. My dd who is starting the program can already spell all the words in Level 1, but I'm still going to go through it with her. I want her to really understand the rules and the set up of the program so she can feel confident when she gets to rules or words she doesn't know. Honestly, I'm thinking we'll go through book one in just a couple of weeks.