Menu

Why 2 math programs?

Esperella

Right now DS is about 1/3 through the second Horizon's K math book. I was just going to get the Horizons 1'st book for next year, but I've been reading a lot on here and it seems like most people use 2 math programs. I really like the way singapore looks, and from reading the other threads lately it seems it'd be best to pick something and just STICK WITH IT, so if I do switch to singapore I'd like to do it for 1st.

I SUCK at math, super much, and while I can do 1st grade math (;)) it's the teaching of concepts that worries me, because I'm really bad at it. So I need a math program that is easy to teach, uses manipulatives.

I also wanted to supplement with LOF because I think DS would really enjoy it.

Any thoughts?

We started off using RightStart which is very good for concepts. We still love and use RightStart, but when DS11 finished RightStart E we found that the later RightStart programs were not suitable for him. Having asked for recommendations here we decided to go with Singapore 5a and 5b, which has proved a huge success. He's now starting Singapore 6a.

At the same time DS7 had been slogging through RightStart C and there came a point when certain things just seemed a step too far for him and he really struggled. I felt that he needed rather more practice than RightStart provides, so I started him working through Singapore 2a for consolidation. This strategy has paid off beautifully and he's now so much more competent and confident in math, which is joy to see. RightStart C is still DS7's main math program, but we're working through it more slowly, supplementing with Singapore, which he actually enjoys more, and can do more independently (RightStart is very teacher intensive).

With DS5 math has been a rather hit and miss affair, but we're already beginning to fall into a pattern of working slowly but steadily through RightStart A, while doing bits of Singapore Earlybird for fun.

Cassy

I've found MUS to be a wonderful program to help me understand number concepts. It's been a good program for both my children who struggle and my kids who find math "a breeze."

We do other math programs for fun (like LOF) or to reinforce (Math Mammoth).

Here's my guess as to why folks use more than one program: Math is the easiest subject to succinctly assess if a student is learning and mastering a concept, so teachers adjust math teaching more readily. If a student learns fast, often the teacher feels encouraged to add something else in to challenge the student. On the other hand, it becomes obvious very quickly if a student is struggling, so a teacher brings in another program with a different teaching approach.

Also, I've found personally that each year I become a better math teacher and just for my own enjoyment, I like trying new approaches.

I don't use multiple math curricula, and I don't think it's necessary. But each parent knows their kids best, so whatever works.

I *do* think it's important to be consistent, regardless of what you choose. Once you find what works, I really recommend sticking with it, and resisting the urge to jump ship each year just because you're bored or something else looks shinier.

If you don't want to use two math programs, don't. Many homeschoolers use Horizons and it works fine for them. I think Horizons has enough review built in that you don't need to supplement.

Both my children have Singapore as their core spine. I was familiar with Singapore before I started homeschooling and did not find anything significantly better that fit our needs. My ds supplements with Beast Academy because it is fun. My dd6 uses Math Mammoth for math fact practice. I don't need either supplement to give the kids good math educations. I just opt to use them because math is a focus for our school.

I'll be doing 2+ math curricula this coming year for 1st. I think my problem is I just can't make up my mind... or acute cases of "grass is greener" syndrome.

Singapore will be our spine. Miquon will be our fun Friday math (or anytime we want to pull it out). I already had CLE 1 Math....if I don't sell it soon, I may keep it as travel school work, or "play time" school work for my workbook-loving DD. The workbooks are cheaper than anything else I could buy for her...

I use two math programs because I am TERRIFIED of math and fearful of screwing my kids up forever with numbers. :tongue_smilie:

I fell in love with Miquon and its fun use of manipulatives and its basis of self-discovery. I wanted to supplement with something a little more "regular" though because I was afraid we might miss something- not to mention Miquon only goes to third grade. So I picked up Singapore and added that into our weekly lessons. I feel the two programs balance each other out perfectly and give me a sense of ease with a subject I secretly dread.

I think there is a difference between using two (or more) math programs concurrently and jumping around from curriculum to curriculum. With the latter, by all means do it if you've picked a curriculum that is not a good fit, but I agree with your concern about holes, etc. if you are constantly changing curricula.

As far as using mutiple curricula at the same time, I don't think there is anything "right" about it, or "wrong" about it. It just depends on what works for you and your student, their learning style, your teaching style, etc. I think a lot of people use more than one curriculum so that concepts get presented in different ways, or because one is more "fun" and another is more "git 'er done", or for variety, or to remediate specific issues. I definitely like having something to pull out when we get into a rut, or something she can work on independently if I'm not available, or just something she loves and looks forward to doing. I have different curricula that fill all those purposes, but I definitely use one "core" curriculum, where we do every lesson (although not every problem) so that I am sure we aren't skipping anything or leaving any holes.

I was nervous about teaching math when I started. I would definitely suggest that you get some support for *yourself* so you feel more confident and comfortable with teaching math. Things that really helped me were "Math Power: How to Help Your Kids Love Math Even if You Don't" by Patricia Clark Kenschaft, and the Kitchen Table Math books. I also got myself a Khan Academy account and worked my way through the arithmetic exercises as a refresher. I'm now feeling very confident with 4th grade math!! ;)

Good luck!

ETA: If you think your dc will like Fred, get one book and see if that's so. My girls love Fred! Fred makes math fun for them. Miss P "gets" to do 2 chapters from the Elementary series with me after she finished her MM lesson, and she recently asked to start doing Fractions on her own. If it's a fit for your kid, it's a great supplement!

Edited by rroberts707

I had read that Horizons was fine for the first two years then behind? I think that is what scares me, I dont want to go with something and stick with it to find out later that it's behind.

That makes total sense about the 2 curriculums. I think I was worried because it seemed like people would say "this one has holes in this and this so we use This Program to fill that in" and I am like "holy crap I have no friggin clue which program has holes and which doesn't!". DS really likes the bright colors in Horizon.

Hmmm... I think Horizons would be fine in general, though a lot of folks complain about the lack of teaching instructions in the TM, so that might cause you some issues down the road. Maybe getting a curriculum for YOU to go through ahead of him and learn the concepts might be useful? MM is cheap and easy for that. You could do the blue topic series and see how stuff is taught, what terminology is used, and use that to help you teach Horizons.

I don't think Horizons itself is behind at all. You can go from Horizons 6 to prealgebra, and many here have successfully done that, so I wouldn't worry about that. I believe some have even tested well while using Horizons a grade below their actual grade level?

So yeah, teach yourself so you can effectively teach your child, and let him continue to use the colorful Horizons workbook. :) You don't NEED two math curricula. I use two right now mostly to slow my son down (though he still does 2 lessons of the main curricula on each of the 3 days we use it, so that's 6 lessons per week :tongue_smilie:). My middle son will be doing Singapore 1A/1B next year, and that will be the only curriculum he uses, unless he hits a wall (using it a year early).

We use Teaching Textbooks as our main math but supplement with X-TRA math and other things to drill math facts. I'm going to try the LOF when we get past long division which should be at the beginning of fall.

Math is not my favorite subject to teach (or understand) so whatever helps my sons "get it", works for me.

Edited by Kelly1730
spelling