Menu

Periodic Testing

I have read that it is a good idea to do periodic testing of our kids so that we have a paper trail of their disabilities. Then, when accommodations are needed later, we have proper documentation. My questions are: how often? and how thorough? Three years ago, I had extensive testing done with my son. I don't feel all of that is necessary again. I was wondering if the Woodcock Johnson test might be good. I could do that every year or every other year. Any opinions or experiences? Oh, and my son is 12 and has severe dyslexia, dysgraphia and slow processing speed. thanks so much, Megan

I have read that it is a good idea to do periodic testing of our kids so that we have a paper trail of their disabilities. Then, when accommodations are needed later, we have proper documentation. My questions are: how often? and how thorough? Three years ago, I had extensive testing done with my son. I don't feel all of that is necessary again. I was wondering if the Woodcock Johnson test might be good. I could do that every year or every other year. Any opinions or experiences? Oh, and my son is 12 and has severe dyslexia, dysgraphia and slow processing speed. thanks so much, Megan

When children are on an IEP or 504 in school, the schools re-evaluate every 3 years to determine whether the student maintains eligiblity for an IEP or 504 plan. How much actual testing gets done is determined by the team and varies according to the complexity of the child's needs, how well they are or are not functioning, etc. (Or at least, ideally that's the way it should happen....)

Private evaluations are expensive, period. Once the first full evaluation is done, children with mild/moderate disabilities, such as dyslexia/dysgraphia or relatively uncomplicated ADHD or ASD, probably don't need a full re-eval until high school. The challenging thing about timing is to do it in enough time to have recent data for applying for ACT/SAT accommodations but not so early that it can't be presented to a university office for getting accommodations in college. The universities like to see data no more than three years old, generally.

In the intervening years, I think an individual achievement test such as the WJ-III or the WIAT-III would be good, and not necessarily every year unless you are in a high regulatory state. I might choose every other year, and do a regular standardized test such as the Stanford-10 or IOWA on the off years. If you do a regular standardized test that has time limits (such as the IOWA) and use official accommodation for extra time, that will help your case for ACT/SAT testing in high school.

When children are on an IEP or 504 in school, the schools re-evaluate every 3 years to determine whether the student maintains eligiblity for an IEP or 504 plan. How much actual testing gets done is determined by the team and varies according to the complexity of the child's needs, how well they are or are not functioning, etc. (Or at least, ideally that's the way it should happen....)

Private evaluations are expensive, period. Once the first full evaluation is done, children with mild/moderate disabilities, such as dyslexia/dysgraphia or relatively uncomplicated ADHD or ASD, probably don't need a full re-eval until high school. The challenging thing about timing is to do it in enough time to have recent data for applying for ACT/SAT accommodations but not so early that it can't be presented to a university office for getting accommodations in college. The universities like to see data no more than three years old, generally.

In the intervening years, I think an individual achievement test such as the WJ-III or the WIAT-III would be good, and not necessarily every year unless you are in a high regulatory state. I might choose every other year, and do a regular standardized test such as the Stanford-10 or IOWA on the off years. If you do a regular standardized test that has time limits (such as the IOWA) and use official accommodation for extra time, that will help your case for ACT/SAT testing in high school.

:iagree:

I think this is excellent advice and matches with what I have heard. We will eval again in early part of high school. Likewise, we established a 504 in the intervening years.

From the College Board:

In most cases, the evaluation and diagnostic testing should have taken place within five years of the request for accommodations. For psychiatric disabilities, an annual evaluation update must be within 12 months of the request for accommodations. For visual disabilities, documentation should be within two years, and for physical/medical, an update must be within one year from the time of the request.

From the College Board:

In most cases, the evaluation and diagnostic testing should have taken place within five years of the request for accommodations. For psychiatric disabilities, an annual evaluation update must be within 12 months of the request for accommodations. For visual disabilities, documentation should be within two years, and for physical/medical, an update must be within one year from the time of the request.

Can I ask a dumb question about how you know which your dc's label falls under? :bigear:

Thanks, I had heard things about some labels that we think of as LD actually being considered psychiatric, etc., so I was uncertain.

Now what about this accommodation thing with the extra time on testing? If the eval letter says the dc needs it, then you also need a paper trail of it having been done over the years with other tests?? But many tests are done at home with the parent as proctor. So you document that? Just journal it?? There's a process? Or only certain tests work for showing that?

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing we sent in to College Board (besides the form) was our child's evaluation (which was NOT done by a neuropsych) that was done is 2009. He is in 8th grade now. We heard back today, and they gave 50% more time on the writing portion of the SAT as well as AP tests.