Menu

For those who *don't* do grammar every year...

mo2

When do you teach it? What program do you use? I've looked at AG but I'm not sure I will be able to swing the cost. I would like to do grammar during the middle-school years but I'm not sure what to use. Maybe Easy Grammar? But there's no diagramming, so I think I would want to add that. :bigear:

We are using Hake Grammar - it starts at 5th grade and goes through 8th.

This is know as Saxon Grammar now, right? And doesn't it include writing? If I were using a separate writing program, would it be easy to skip the writing in Hake/Saxon?

and FWIW - Hake didn't click with us, seemed like a solid program, but just felt like too much for what should be a "sub" subject, that is, we wanted/needed something that was about 1/4 of our language arts core in terms of workload, with writing, lit and vocabulary filling the other slots. AG fit this for us.

and FWIW - Hake didn't click with us, seemed like a solid program, but just felt like too much for what should be a "sub" subject, that is, we wanted/needed something that was about 1/4 of our language arts core in terms of workload, with writing, lit and vocabulary filling the other slots. AG fit this for us.

Ah, this is good to know. We're using a separate writing program and really focusing a lot on spelling (a weak point for dd), plus lit, so I don't want a grammar program that is going to take a huge amount of time. So thank you for sharing this.

Dd was 11yo when I did grammar with her for the first--and only--time. We did Easy Grammar. I don't believe diagramming is necessary. :-)

:w00t: I think I really needed to hear that. I really like the approach in Easy Grammar.

Dd was 11yo when I did grammar with her for the first--and only--time. We did Easy Grammar. I don't believe diagramming is necessary. :-)

Would that be Easy Grammar Plus, then? (I think the names have changed over time.)

BTW, I enjoy reading your posts, Ellie. They're so down-to-earth, practical, and reassuring. :)

I'm not doing a hard-core grammar with my dd until she's older. Right now we're doing Primary Language Lessons which I like because it's gentle, but makes her think. It teaches basic punctuation, capitalization, letter writing, poetry study.

So for her future, PLL covers 2nd and 3rd grade, Intermediate Language Lessons covers 3-5th. Then she'll move on to something like AG over a couple years. IMO, a reasonable cost, esp. since i'm using ILL with two kids and AG will be used with all three.

This is know as Saxon Grammar now, right? And doesn't it include writing? If I were using a separate writing program, would it be easy to skip the writing in Hake/Saxon?

Yes, some call it Saxon Grammar. It does have a writing portion but many skip that part. The Grammar portion takes my daughter about 20 minutes.

Would that be Easy Grammar Plus, then? (I think the names have changed over time.)

It was the first year EG was published, and there was only one book--the red one. :001_smile: I would probably wait until a child had the reading ability to do EG Plus, although I could see doing EG 6, then a year of Daily Grams, then EG Plus. But if I were planning on just one year, then I'd wait until a child could do EG Plus.

BTW, I enjoy reading your posts, Ellie. They're so down-to-earth, practical, and reassuring. :)

Why, TYVM. :) :001_tt1:

Actually, it's published by Hake Publishing; the author is Steve Hake, who was the co-author of Math 54, 65, and 76, maybe 87. The covers said "Hake Saxon." So although it is not a Saxon product, since he's the co-author of the Hake Saxon math books, people tend to call it Saxon Grammar. The title is "Grammar and Writing.":)

I am also a fan of AG. I think it is worth every penny but I do understand that it doesn't click with everyone. My friend didn't make it through the first chapter. Hmmm... maybe she will sell it to you for a good price. I'll ask her if you want. Let me know (She has the teacher and student manuals as well as the reinforcement and review book).

Fans of AG here too. We use AG jr in 5 th and then AG in 6-7th. I found my younger students did not retain well. We've used fll, r&s and gwg. I do lean toward the Charlotte Mason approach so that colors my post. ;)

Kristen

Most children who are exposed to the type of of English that is considered to be "correct", will automatically absorb it and use it. Most of them will benefit from a bit of grammar term vocabulary, and some explicit punctuation rules, but usually don't NEED even that.

Children/students that are constantly exposed to "wrong" English need a yearly dose of "correct" grammar instruction, IF they are seeking to be competitive with, and accepted by, the people that speak "correct" English.