Menu

best free household planner?

I'm looking for a free household planner type thing, I'm a very disorganized person and I get distracted very easily when it comes to doing something I don't like (cleaning house). Can anyone direct me to a pretty planner that might get me motivated to do all those household tasks that I'm sure I am not doing and help me keep things organized?

What I have found is that all the available planners have something to offer out there- It's just a matter of figuring out how to piece them together to fit my flow/system of family managing. I have used a combination of different planners that I adapted to my needs. I found a planner with these sections helped.

*I use a simple notebook paper page for a "daily sheet" that sits in the very front of my notebook on top of a stack of notebook paper.*

Numbered sections (5) use poly dividers WITH POCKETS so they stick out further than the "reduced" sections (alpha order). If the index tabs bother you by sticking out when the notebook is closed, just cut them off. You will eventually "learn" where things are in your planner and just flip there without the index tabs. The "reduced" sections (alpha order) use regular poly dividers (5 or 8) so they fall below the big sections.

1. Planning section

a. calendar

b. routines

c. shopping/purchasing(food and anything else)

d. contacts (phone numbers...)

e. information (birthdays, ss#s, sizes...- anything a mom needs to reference)

2. To Do section

*I divide my "to do" activities topically- which kind of evolved from creating project lists and dividing those projects into bite sized tasks. I just evaluate tasks better when viewed with other like-subject-tasks. My brain just doesn't compute prioritizing tasks any other way. What I mean by this is: I would put all these tasks in the "money to do" section - call insurance company about rates, make a deposit at bank, and balance our bank statement. Most people would view these as 3 different categories- phone call, errand, and a "desk" task. Not me. I hope that sense. I can explain if not. These are the sections/topics I use for to do task. Anything I do fits neatly into 1 of these categories.

a. Spiritual/God

b. Organization

c. Physical/Bodies

d. Spatial/House, vehicle, storage

e. Social/People

f. Work, Education, Commitments

g. Money/Financial

h. FUN!

3. Homeschool Section

*This section is sepperate from to do tasks and is a spin off of homeschool planning binders...I use these sections

a. motivation/philosophy

b. laws

c. curriculum

d. schedule

e. social/activities

f. resources

g. co-op

h. lesson planning pages

4. Any major commitment/job/income-producing activities would have their own section here divided as needed. like blogging/WAHM/working out of the home

5. I don't have a 5th section although I have a 5th divider. It helps flip everything over to get to the back pockets of my notebook. Some people have an emergency section. I have incorporated those details into my other sections.

I can go into further detail on what goes into the different sections and how and when you use them. I am slightly passionate about this. :001_smile: I have used from various sources like flylady and organized home. The key is to fit them together to fit you. HtH

To be honest I can't stand cleaning, have been too busy to clean. But recently I have made a decision to make a change. Fly ladies emails is what helps me stay on task. They send a lot of emails but the one I pay attention to and print for my weeks cleaning is called week at a glance. I print it off every week now and do their daily assignment. It may seem like nothing at first but after a couple weeks it is making a big difference in my house. Best part no planning involved!

Here is an example of the email I use each week. I find that being told what I need to do in small chunks makes it easy for me to tackle. Each week they focus on different area in the house. It may sound strange but I started out with just shining my kitchen sink like flylady says. I always have a full sink now that I shine it at night I keep after my dishes which helps the appearance of my kitchen. You'll get alot of emails that promote their cleaning products. I delete most of those. As I said earlier the week at a glance is the email I print and use as my cleaning checklist for the week. I am not motivated to clean nor will I be motivated to keep up a big project of printing tons of things and filling them out. I would prob spend more time on the cleaning journal than actually cleaning :). Hope this helps.

Sneak Peek for the Week: May 6-12, 2012

This Week we are in: Zone 2 - The Kitchen

This Month's Habit is Moving in May! Join us as we take a walk 15 minutes at a time to follow the route for the 2012 Summer Olympics Torch! http://www.flylady.net/d/habits-of-the-month/may/

Zone 2: Mission #1 Monday

Dear Friends:

We are in the kitchen this week!

I get to pull out one of my all time favorite missions! LOL!

Take 15 minutes and scrub your stove top! Soak the knobs and drip

pans in hot soapy water while you clean the stove top. Some elbow

grease and hot soapy water will take care of a lot! Don't become a

perfectionist and try to get it as clean as the day it was new. Just

do the best you can and then scrub the drip pans and knobs. Don't

scrub the knobs so hard that the numbers and words scrub off! LOL!

Anything that you do will be better than what it was! Have fun and

think of me while you do this because I will be doing it too!

Kelly

Zone 2: Mission # 2 Tuesday

Dear Friends:

Back to the kitchen we go! Your mission for today is to wipe down

the doors of your cabinets. Use a damp rag and wipe down the fronts

and the edges of your cabinets. This is really a simple thing to do

but we have a tendency to ignore the cabinets because there is always

so much more going on in the kitchen. Finger prints and grease

attach themselves to the cabinets and make them a little sticky. A

good wipe down will make such a difference. Remember we are taking

babysteps!!! Small little missions that add up to a shiny kitchen.

Love,

Kelly

If you're online a lot, I recommend google calendar. I have a calendar specifically for chores which reminds me when filters need to be changed, when to mulch the garden, have the house washed, and weekly/daily chores. I used information from various cleaning/organizing websites and get daily notifications from google calendar in my email account.

If you're online a lot, I recommend google calendar. I have a calendar specifically for chores which reminds me when filters need to be changed, when to mulch the garden, have the house washed, and weekly/daily chores. I used information from various cleaning/organizing websites and get daily notifications from google calendar in my email account.

Love this. I have no idea why I haven't though of it... I get my daily agenda from my husband's and my calendars every day at 5 am, and it syncs with our mobile calendars!

Brilliant!

Also, regarding FlyLady: if you don't want the email inundation, you can import the zone calendars and task lists to your Cozi calendar (and probably a Google calendar) online.

ok so it's not a smart phone app. Cool I see lots of neat smart phone apps that I would love, Dh has a smartphone and I don't see me getting one because of the added costs of data plans

Bonus! It HAS a smartphone app, so you can make a list of stuff to pick up and he can see it on his phone. :D I use the shopping list specifically so my husband can pick stuff up on his way home from work, 45 minutes away and close to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It's easier than him having to parse items from texts.

Bonus! It HAS a smartphone app, so you can make a list of stuff to pick up and he can see it on his phone. :D I use the shopping list specifically so my husband can pick stuff up on his way home from work,

We use the Cozi app. We have one password, and we can all add the calendar or shopping list. I also have it on my laptop. I love Cozi.

LoL that would work if he actually did the shopping, but alas, Walmart and Save a Lot is not on his way home (would have to drive about 9 miles past our house). The stores he pass (besides gas stations) over charge for many items so it's not worth him stopping to really get anything unless it's something I forget to buy to make dinner