Menu

I've unleashed my inner Math Monster...

:scared: :scared:

And here I was, all set to use CLE Math this year...but I just couldn't leave WELL ENOUGH ALONE!

Now we have Singapore ("it'll be my supplement") which has quickly bumped its way up to be my math spine. So why did I start looking at MIQUON?!?! :001_huh:

So now it looks like I'll be using Singapore as our main program and supplementing with Miquon (maybe a "Math lab Friday").

Hmmmm.....I am so far from where I started! And I haven't even started!! :lol:

And now a question:

We are on the go. A lot. We travel and we skip school to go to the zoo or grandma's or the park. That's why I homeschool, to be able to do those things. Singapore and Miquon look like they are better for math-at-home days, am I right?

Does anyone keep a grade-level math workbook (cheap-o from Walmart or something else) that you use on days when you're traveling or unable to do the "real" math? Or do you just make it work? Skip math that day altogether?

I don't want to encourage more curriculum shopping, knowing how addictive it can be, but ... Math Mammoth can provide a complementary set of worksheets to go with those two programs. :D The concepts are presented in a similar order to Singapore, and the lessons created to be used independently by students.

(From a math curriculum junkie who probably needs therapy.)

:scared: :scared:

And here I was, all set to use CLE Math this year...but I just couldn't leave WELL ENOUGH ALONE!

Now we have Singapore ("it'll be my supplement") which has quickly bumped its way up to be my math spine. So why did I start looking at MIQUON?!?! :001_huh:

So now it looks like I'll be using Singapore as our main program and supplementing with Miquon (maybe a "Math lab Friday").

Hmmmm.....I am so far from where I started! And I haven't even started!! :lol:

And now a question:

We are on the go. A lot. We travel and we skip school to go to the zoo or grandma's or the park. That's why I homeschool, to be able to do those things. Singapore and Miquon look like they are better for math-at-home days, am I right?

Does anyone keep a grade-level math workbook (cheap-o from Walmart or something else) that you use on days when you're traveling or unable to do the "real" math? Or do you just make it work? Skip math that day altogether?

Oh I love the way this is going :D

Throw a little MEP into the Math Lab mix, and some games, and look out! :lol:

As to your question. Most of the topics at this age are very well suited to bend discussed orally (with explanations by the child). There are many ways to work on the understanding of wholes and parts (like number-bond relationships) that can be done orally—including impromptu "word problems."

And "real-life" is an excellent time to work on "greater than/less than" and "how many more/how many fewer" type questions. Think of all the possible questions you coul make off 2 Elephants and 5 giraffes at the zoo.

When doing sums over "10" doing problems aloud is a great opportunity to develop the habit of a child explainig their re-grouping strategy (as opposed to just supplying a correct answer). Children thrive on attention and interaction. Busywork? Not so much.

Hearing how they problem solve involves parents directly in the experience and allows one to clear-up problems of understanding before they become intrenched.

I'd forget the cheap workbooks and instead work math into real-life. Some of our most fruitful (pun intended) math lessons happened while shopping for produce. Really.

Bill

For on-the-go, I just weave little stories with math (and other questions) built in. My kids LOVE these stories. One of the most memorable from this year was about a monster (named Gullump) who was climbing a hill and utilized different number bonds of ten when his friends came along.

I find Singapore extremely portable. The books are scrawny little things (but powerful!).

:iagree: Miquon could be too if you can contain the rods. We keep ours in a container with a lid (think baby proof) and would have no problem taking it to Grandma's. Singapore comes with us to Bible study every week, the park, and has even been to the pool.