Menu

Hives from eggs?

My 12 month old son has had eggs 2 x recently , and right after, he broke out in these red, hive like bumps all over his cheeks and neck. The second time happened tonight, when I forgot about what happened last time. :glare: They only last about 5 minutes and then go away.

Is this an allergy he has? It seems to only be topical and not IN his mouth. It just seems odd to me. He does not break out when he eats items with cooked eggs in it like bread, pasta, cookies and such.

Also, if my child is allergic to eggs, is there other foods that are commonly associated that he might also be allergic to as well? I don't want to take a chance at another food doing something worse to him!

I do plan on taking him to the Dr., but it will take a day or two to get him an appointment, and I thought I'd get all your advice, experiences, and suggestions too.

Thanks so much!

Did they last five minutes after medication? Or did they go away quickly on their own?

Definitely get him to a doctor (an allergist) and don't give him any more eggs until then. If it is an allergic reaction, they get worse with each one. So, his first two may seem mild, and then his third one will be scary.

At the very least, get some liquid benadryl to carry - just in case. I have a child who is anaphlyctic to many foods, so my gut reaction here is saying to call your doc and have an epi pen junior prescribed, just in case. But, that may be going overboard based on my previous experiences.

I had a friend growing up who was allergic to eggs but he could eat them if they were cooked and in something (like a cake). Cooking can change the protein.

My son's initial dairy reactions were just hives and I've never seen them in his mouth.

I'll refer you to FAAN: Food Allergy and Anaphyllaxis Network. THey have good information and can give you questions to ask.

Until you see a doctor, don't give eggs... but also, don't panic yet. Egg is one of the 8 major allergens, so it's labeled well - and it's not as tough to avoid as others.

I had liquid benadryl on hand, so they cleared up after that. Good thing, shew! I was worried because it was the second time, and I , stupidly , gave it to him again. Mom brain. :001_smile:

I will definitely get him checked by the doctor. I'm just confused why they are on his outer skin, but not in his mouth, kwim? :confused:

That is what happened to my daughter on some of her first reactions to things. The reactions can get worse with each exposure.

I have one kiddo who is only mildly allergic to eggs and will get weird hives/rashy stuff and it's not always on her mouth.

It sounds like an allergy to me but I would definitely ask. Eggs are a pain to bake without, but it's possible!

I hope you get some answers soon! Food allergies are not fun-trust me I know! :glare:

My sister has always had an issue with eggs that started about that age. It wasn't a rash though, they made her throw up violently and gave her an upset stomach for a day or so. She was one who was ok when were cooked. She avoided eggs for a really long time and tried them again at 27 and is now fine, they don't make her ill any more.

At 12 months, he could be having other symptoms that he's not able to verbalize.

Egg allergies are in the top 9 most common, but not chicken - they aren't related allergies.

If he turns out to be allergic to eggs, you'll need to research which vaccinations are cultured on eggs and advocate for him. For example, the flu shot is not recommended (by the CDC) for people allergic to eggs, but I keep having doctors push my 3 egg-allergic children to get flu shots every year "because of their asthma". When I point out that they're not supposed to have the shot because of their egg allergy, I always get an, "Oh. Right." Anyway, just a heads up that you'll have to inform yourself on that one if he's allergic because half the pediatricians you'll deal with don't have it on their radar.

My son had very similar reactions to egg at about 15 months. He had been eating eggs semi regularly for a month before any symptoms showed up. We stopped all eggs. Baking without eggs isn't very difficult once you get used to it, there's just a bit of a learning curve. There are some things (like chocolate chip cookies) that I think turn out better with an egg replacer.

Have you introduced peanuts and tree nuts? If not, I would probably avoid them until you can get a test done since the reactions from them are often so severe.

He's allergic to egg, peanut and maybe apple. The scratch test was somewhat inconclusive on the apple. He has mild issues with some other fruits in the spring/fall. I'm not sure if it's because his body is overwhelmed with all of the allergens in the environment, or if some of the environmental allergens are still on the fruit even when they're well washed.

At 12 months, he could be having other symptoms that he's not able to verbalize.

Egg allergies are in the top 9 most common, but not chicken - they aren't related allergies.

If he turns out to be allergic to eggs, you'll need to research which vaccinations are cultured on eggs and advocate for him. For example, the flu shot is not recommended (by the CDC) for people allergic to eggs, but I keep having doctors push my 3 egg-allergic children to get flu shots every year "because of their asthma". When I point out that they're not supposed to have the shot because of their egg allergy, I always get an, "Oh. Right." Anyway, just a heads up that you'll have to inform yourself on that one if he's allergic because half the pediatricians you'll deal with don't have it on their radar.

Thanks so much for this shot info!

Reactions can start out as skin reactions and then eventually go to systemic reactions. You definitely want to avoid that! It's horrible. My ds' reactions started out as skin rashes/hives and then progressed to his mouth and throat. Scary, scary stuff.

Oh wow. Yes, very scary! :(

My son had very similar reactions to egg at about 15 months. He had been eating eggs semi regularly for a month before any symptoms showed up. We stopped all eggs. Baking without eggs isn't very difficult once you get used to it, there's just a bit of a learning curve. There are some things (like chocolate chip cookies) that I think turn out better with an egg replacer.

Have you introduced peanuts and tree nuts? If not, I would probably avoid them until you can get a test done since the reactions from them are often so severe.

He's allergic to egg, peanut and maybe apple. The scratch test was somewhat inconclusive on the apple. He has mild issues with some other fruits in the spring/fall. I'm not sure if it's because his body is overwhelmed with all of the allergens in the environment, or if some of the environmental allergens are still on the fruit even when they're well washed.

No, he hasn't had any nuts, but glad you told me that! I will watch out for those things too.

I've never had a kid allergic to stuff, so this is a whole new ballgame for me.