Menu

Thinking of switching to IEW

I plan on using this with the boys in the fall. We are currently using Winning With Writing and in all honesty, it is working. I just feel like we are playing catch up at this point since the boys are working 2 years behind grade level. They have progressed sooooo much in the last year. They have worked so hard and I am so proud of them. It is amazing how much they have progressed since taking them off the seizure meds.

Right now we are working on WWW level 3. We normally complete 2-3 lessons in a day and completed level 2 in about 6 months. We should complete level 3 by

August. My original plan was to work thru level 4 by January and then move on to level 5. Technically, the boys have early birthdays, being born in March (they

just turned 11) so I know that they could possibly be in 4th grade and really

only 1 year behind. After 6 years of homeschooling, I know I shouldn't be

concerned with grade levels but I'm starting to look ahead and really don't want

them to be 19 or 20 when they graduate. I know that many kids with special needs usually catch up by middle school age and I guess that is what I'm hoping for.

Ok, I know I am rambling now, but back to IEW. I absolutely DREAD teaching

writing. I worry that I am not or won't be able to properly teach writing. That

brings me to IEW. I am intrigued by having the writing DVD's that will do the

teaching for me. I also like the "idea" of IEW not using "grade levels".

So ladies, what do you think?

God Bless,

Jasmine

Edited by twinmami01

My kids really like knowing that they're done (Mom can't go on and on about this and that) reworking a paper when we've completed the checklist for style and their own editing list.

Just using the TWSS + teacher DVD's here. But IEW works for us because I can adapt it to our history or science without buying more.

We have used IEW for several years & I think it is a wonderful program! If you want your children to do the lessons with the DVDs you will need the Student Writing Intensive set (SWI - level A).

Some people use just those, but I would also suggest getting the TWSS program for YOU to watch so you are able to be more helpful to them. It will give you more confidence in your own ability to guide them. I know the cost for both programs is quite high, but you can usually pick up some used ones and they are fairly easy to resell when you are finished - it's kind of like renting them...

My son has made remarkable progress with this program. It allows them to concentrate on "how" to write and make it sound great, before having to worry about "what" to write.

This is our first year and my oldest is behind in writing (she's 6th grade) and my youngest is 3rd grade (has LDS) and we've been using SWI B and it's been working out well. The SWI are a great way to get started and let someone else do the teaching, giving you more time to get to know the teaching method. For us, I use the SWI B DVDs with the kids together and then the SWI B has a link where you can download level A reinforcement paragraphs, so this is what I use with my younger one. IEW teaches that the kids need a lot of modeling before they can grow as a writer- and this is what my kids needed. Also, it takes away that "what do I write about?" issue that kids who struggle with writing often have (including my oldest dd).

One thing- I had a hard time with how expensive the program is - We tried the less expensive program of Writing Strands before IEW and my dd hated it. Just hated it. What I've found is that the IEW materials have a very high resale value, so if you factor that in, the program is reasonably priced. Also, if you want to watch the Teaching Structure and Style DVDs, if you are in a homeschool group if a few of you go in on it together it would not be very expensive. So, there are ways to minimize costs:)

Good luck in whatever you decide. Selecting a writing program was the hardest for me to decide- and I'm just deciding to go more a year-by-year approach and perhaps mix some, if I feel it's needed. For now, we're only using IEW!

Paula

It allows them to concentrate on "how" to write and make it sound great, before having to worry about "what" to write.

This is why I am seriously considering IEW for my son.

That truly is the great thing about IEW. Later on they do need to figure out the "what" more and more, but to start out, it tells them exactly what they should write for, literally, every single sentence (not the actual words, but the idea for each).

i am using SWI A with my 10 year old. i have not needed the TWSS at all. andrew pudewa does an excellent job teaching & i just watch alongside my daughter. i don't feel like i'm "missing" anything without the TWSS. it's been a great fit so far for us. we switched over from BJU english, which i also enjoyed a lot and we used the dvd's there as well. IEW is really painless for my daughter & it has really directed me in how i can best assist her. so far, we love it:) hth.

ETA - oh, i forgot to mention. i found the program used at the yahoo group. then i just paid $10 for the updated student pages that i downloaded to my computer. it was really much cheaper this way. even though i voided the return policy by going the used route, i am confident i will get the full amount i paid back in resale -- so it worked out for me just as well.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

i am using SWI A with my 10 year old. i have not needed the TWSS at all. andrew pudewa does an excellent job teaching & i just watch alongside my daughter. i don't feel like i'm "missing" anything without the TWSS. it's been a great fit so far for us.

This is good to know. I'm wondering if AFF would be as easy to teach since I don't think there are dvds though there is step by step written instruction. SW1 A looks like it would be less of a good fit here than AFF.