Menu

Standardized Testing - What Grade?

We are going to order the CAT (California Achievement Test) and I noticed on one website it said order the grade the child will be entering, not the one they are in. However, the other websites that offer the test, say nothing about this.

My dd8 is not done with 2nd grade yet, we are a little over a third of the way through. I was going to order the 2nd grade test, but should I rather order the grade she will be entering and order 3rd grade? :confused:

At the public school in our area, they test the kids for the grade they will be entering. My sister-in-law explained to me this was so they would know how much of the next grade they really needed to teach. But when you home school you can test either way. I think it would be less stress for the child being tested to take the test for the grade they are in or just finishing rather than a grade ahead.

AL

We always tested for the grade the dc were finishing up. Public schools around here test at the end of the year, for the year just finishing, not at the beginning, for the grade entering.

Some publishers let you choose either the beginning of a grade/school year or the end of a grade/school year.