Menu

Teaching the Classics?! Lit. Study...

tiffanieh

I am now on the search for age appropriate literature study. I will have an 11 year old (5th grade) and 9 year old (3rd grade) next year. I just found the Teaching the Classics website. It looks good. Is this something that we could all read the same book, and then discuss this all together? How much time is spent per day on this??

I just bought this at the Midwest Homeschool convention after going to every one of Adam Andrews' talks. You can actually download some of his lectures on his website, which you probably saw. Teaching the Classics is a syllabus and DVDs (6 hours work I think) that teach the teacher to do lit analysis. There is a book list in the appendix, and you can buy other resources for additional booklists and scope and sequence, but Adam Andrews encourages you to put together your own list of books. (I bought Reading Roadmaps, which is a K-12 scope and sequence). They also have something called Ready Readers, which I didn't buy.

Yes, you could all read the same book with those ages of kids, and have a group lit analysis discussion. It is totally up to you as far as how much time you spend. It depends on how many books you the teacher are able to read (which is a criteria for any books you analyze with your kids -- you have to read and analyze them too. ) You can do it where you have daily/weekly lit analysis class on one end of the frequency spectrum, to doing it quarterly or less on the other end of the spectrum (meaning read one book to be analyzed a quarter -- of course you'd probably have your kids reading on their own a whole lot more than this).

I was so excited after hearing Adam Andrews speak. He is an excellent speaker and lays out how to do lit. analysis so clearly and simply. He has you start with analyzing good children's books (when you're learning to do lit analysis yourself, and when you teach your kids). This is exactly what I need for my dd9 and I'm really looking forward to using it next year.

We use it when we have time. We also use it as part of a book club. I think it's great! We usually do picture books at home so we can sit around the kitchen table, read the book, and have it analyzed sufficiently in under an hour. At book club we use age appropriate books and split the kids by age (K/1, 2-5,middle school).

I really don't think a person needs to shell out a bunch of money to teach lit analysis to kids. In high school maybe but not in elementary.

Start out with a lit analysis diagram, chart, or list. I built one and posted it on my blog here

http://www.aesoptooz.com/2012/02/14/elements-of-literature-analysis/

I made a kid's version of the above for my dd as a book report.

Grab an annotated edition of a classic and start to discuss! Just follow the rabbit holes and thought experiments. Ask a lot of question. The whole point is to teach children how to think, not to be right or wrong in their interpretation.

The key though is that the teacher be equally familiar with the book as the student. It has to been done together.

IMO, the strength of Adam Andrews' approach is (A) teaching parents HOW to ask the questions (i.e., the Socratic approach), and (B) teaching parents WHICH questions to ask.

Once you (as "teacher") have those down, you can apply the literary analysis approach to any piece of literature out there - including, as Andrews submits, fine literature intended for children.

It's definitely something that can be done together as a family across ages; I'd expect a high schooler to be far more in-depth than a grammar-stage child, certainly (but the depth can be tailored to the point of the exercise, too).

I really don't think a person needs to shell out a bunch of money to teach lit analysis to kids. In high school maybe but not in elementary.

Start out with a lit analysis diagram, chart, or list. I built one and posted it on my blog here

http://www.aesoptooz.com/2012/02/14/elements-of-literature-analysis/

I made a kid's version of the above for my dd as a book report.

Grab an annotated edition of a classic and start to discuss! Just follow the rabbit holes and thought experiments. Ask a lot of question. The whole point is to teach children how to think, not to be right or wrong in their interpretation.

The key though is that the teacher be equally familiar with the book as the student. It has to been done together.

That is a pretty cool blog you've got there. I lost an hour this evening wandering around it.

If you have Teaching the Classics would you necessarily need Reading Roadmap?

Also, could you get by without the DVDs?

And to Shann, great site.

:bigear: I taught high school English is the ps in my former life, so I think *I* know how to analyze literature. But as for leading a discussion with my six-year-old, that is another proposition altogether!