Menu

Do you use anything for Reading comprehension

gevs4him

We don't use anything because I think that if a child understands what they are reading doing reading comprehension excercises really take the joy out of it. If you are curious about what level his comprehension is at you can get a trial subscription to reading eggspress and have him do that for a bit and the program comes up with a reading comprehension age for the child (I found it reassuring).

I don't with my older ds because he comprehends what he's reading just fine. I just don't see the need for it right now. But I might use something for my younger ds.... he struggles a bit more in this area. I'm thinking something light like Spectrum Reading.

Edited by MamaHappy
Darn typos

We don't use anything because I think that if a child understands what they are reading doing reading comprehension excercises really take the joy out of it. If you are curious about what level his comprehension is at you can get a trial subscription to reading eggspress and have him do that for a bit and the program comes up with a reading comprehension age for the child (I found it reassuring).

Thank you - I would love the reassurance and plan look into this :)

I don't with my older ds because he comprehends what he's reading just fine. I just don't see the need for it right now. But I might use something for my younger ds.... he struggles a bit more in this area. I'm thinking something light like Spectrum Reading.

Thank you - I do believe he comprehends just fine because he answers most questions correctly after any reading assignment and can narrate fairly well. This next year I was really wanting to focus on his writing :D

We don't do anything formally, but my kids love the Book Adventures website where they can earn prizes for reading books. They have to answer questions about the story to earn points- so that checks to make sure they actually read the book:)

Thank you - I have not heard about this, but plan to check it out - sounds like fun!

I do a few formal reading comprehension type of workbooks per year because I appeciate the skills that these build.

I use:

--Evan Moor's Skill Sharpeners Reading (this includes some phonics activities, too)

--Blackbird & Company's literature guides (one or two per year which include various things besides reading comprehension)

• 3 years later...