Menu

What book hooked your son on reading for pleasure?

creekmom

I also started doing "Reading Friday" instead of school work. We all lounge around the house (usually in sleeping bags or in forts) and read on Fridays. We eat popcorn or junk, and I let him drink a soda. Anything to make it fun.

How fun.

Billy and Blaze

Caution! My 8 yr old read this and now he's begging me for a horse.

My first son didn't really read until he was 9 and the book that got him going was the first volume of the Adventures of Tintin! After that it was Redwall and he's been reading like crazy ever since!

It was Aesop's fables for us. We have many many books on Aesop's fables and he rereads them too. Beyond that I would say the Magic Tree House books and research guides/ fact trackers. We have now started our collection of Beverly Cleary books and he is going through those while finishing up the Canadian Flyer series.

I was hoping for something with more "literary value", but it was the Scholastic series of Star Wars chapter books :D Really, the writing isn't horrible. He chose those himself and went to bed early every night wanting to read. Now he is reading the Bionicle Chronicles :001_smile: I am just so incredibly happy that he is reading !

You all are giving me so much hope that this jump into reading can happen at 8 or 9 or later!

My ds is dyslexic and reads nothing at all that he isn't required to (other than Lego Club magazines) so I am thrilled that there may be hope as he gets older!

DS7 loves the Magic Tree House series. It seems like he has always loved to read though. He's the type of kid you have to pry a book out of his hand to go anywhere or do anything else. Just tonight I caught him in our "in-the-works schoolroom" reading Tut's Mummy (which is supposed to be for next year!).

For my oldest, it was Marvin Redpost, the summer after first grade.

#2 jumped right into reading Marvin Redpost books, Encyclopedia Brown, The Hardy Boys, The Boxcar Children, the first couple Harry Potter books etc. within a few months. He's still my big reader.

#3 was a big Arthur fan and jumped from the picture books to the chapter books like it was nothing.