Menu

Software that teaches how to play CHESS??

ShelzNH

ds 8 has been begging me to learn to play chess for a while now. Unfortunately I never learned to play and my husband's knowledge is very limited. I want to get him a computer tutorial of some kind. Do any of you chess gurus have any recomendations? Thank you!

ChessMaster 9000!

A friend gave this to us awhile ago for our PC. I love this prgm. It teaches chess from the beginning thru master levels in a step by step set of lessons that can get checked off when done.... so they can see their progress. It also has a 'room' to play chess games with other 'characters' in the program that have various levels of ability. You can get help in the game and after the game you can review it. There is also the ability to play with how it all looks on the screen. We don't use this but there is also an internet portion so you can go online and play against other real players.

The lessons in this program are really good, imho. I've learned a bit also.

You should also check out your local homeschool groups for a chess club. I'm going to be bringing my boys to one next year.

hth

The Fritz and Chesster programs are great for learning to play chess. I think there are three of them now. We have the first two.

They are at amazon and have great reviews there.

I will second Fritz and Chesster as a good way for a child to learn. Fritz and Chesster is explained here : http://www.chessbase.com/shop/product.asp?pid=165

DD was a serious chess player but has since dropped it, but for the year she was playing and doing some tournaments she did very very well and got her first foundation with Fritz and Chesster (and then with classes with a Chessmaster) but even so, Fritz and Chesster is a real program that really teaches.

Do google searches, it has been reviewed extensively and has also won several awards.

Chessmaster is an excellent program, but for learning the basics and having a solid foundation for younger children, I would recommend Fritz and Chesster, more kid friendly. Do start with #1 and work your way up...they learn alot in CD #1. Here is what you should buy, your kids will like it http://www.wholesalechess.com/chess/Fritz+and+Chesster+Learn+to+Play+Chess+Software

My almost 10yo son is passionate about chess. He started out with Fritz and Chesster and then later moved on to the Chessmaster program. His almost 4yo brother thinks chess is cool too (mostly because it is part of the culture in our home) and I'm going to make sure he's exposed to Fritz & Chesster as well.

I agree that Fritz & Chesster is a great way to start out, providing a fun, but solid foundation.

HTH

Guest slhanes1

It's not a software program. They have 2 curriculums, based on age (under 7 or 8 and up) to learn chess. We bought them for our dd, 11 and ds, 8. They already knew some chess basics, so it was review at first. You can go as slow or fast as you need. It allows for hands on playing, some workbook assignments, and also some fun books to read as well. Check it out at: http://www.winterpromise.com/chess_electives.html

We also have the Fritz and Chesster software and it is great too, allowing them to play in different ways and on their own. But while the computer is great, their is nothing like playing with a real board and opponent.

Libby

I don't know about software and I'm NOT a guru, but we have a great book. Checkmate! my first chess book by Garry Kasparov ISBN: 9781857443585. It's not too animated, but just enough to be fun. It explains every piece and then gives some stragety suggestions.

My husband plays chess, but I learned from this book. Chess is a very enjoyable family acitivity. Two people in the family can play and the 3rd can play winner. Or, if you have an even number in the family that can play you could set up a sort of tournament. Each pair would play, then winners play winners, losers play losers and such.

The main thing is to not be intimidated, just have fun!

ChessMaster 9000!

A friend gave this to us awhile ago for our PC. I love this prgm. It teaches chess from the beginning thru master levels in a step by step set of lessons that can get checked off when done.... so they can see their progress. It also has a 'room' to play chess games with other 'characters' in the program that have various levels of ability. You can get help in the game and after the game you can review it. There is also the ability to play with how it all looks on the screen. We don't use this but there is also an internet portion so you can go online and play against other real players.

The lessons in this program are really good, imho. I've learned a bit also.

You should also check out your local homeschool groups for a chess club. I'm going to be bringing my boys to one next year.

hth

:iagree: with Chessmaster. Ours says 10th edition and we've had it a couple years - I don't know if there's one more recent than that or not. It is the software by Josh Waitzin (sp?) subject of the movie "Searching for Bobbie Fischer" He actually narrates some of the professional games that are on there. My oldest likes watching/listening to them.

But as Kathie said the best parts of the program are the instructional areas (with the checklist) and the characters at various levels to play. After my boys had learned the basics it was fun to see who they could beat next.

We have Fritz and Chesster too. It is more of a "fun" program and *does* teach how to play chess, but I think Chessmaster has a lot more to offer!

Have fun!

If your son is a legomaniac, try to find a copy of Lego Chess. This is a computer game, not the chess board building kit. It uses Lego minifigs for pieces or you can choose to have pieces look like the actual chess pieces. Both my boys used this to learn and loved it. I don't think Lego sells this anymore, but maybe you could find it used somewhere. Definitely worth looking for if your son is also into Legos.

You can see it at this link, but if you click on "Check Availability", it says the item is not found.

http://www.lego.com/eng/interactive/product.asp?Title=Chess&Code=PC

Sandy

My ds6 spends hours on our chess board thinking about the plays and moving pieces. I found Lego Chess but I didn't like it that much. I am intrested in Fritz and Chesster software. When I looked it up it says it is for 8 and older. Would it be something he is able to do on his own. Assuming he is a normal 6yo boy?

Thanks

My ds6 spends hours on our chess board thinking about the plays and moving pieces. I found Lego Chess but I didn't like it that much. I am intrested in Fritz and Chesster software. When I looked it up it says it is for 8 and older. Would it be something he is able to do on his own. Assuming he is a normal 6yo boy?

Thanks

Absolutely he should be able to do it. My youngest started using it at 6, and it took her awhile ,but she figured it out just fine.