Menu

Lego Technic

Should I let my son take apart his huge Technic sets and have them in a big pile with his Mindstorm pieces for imaginative building?

I'm so hesitant, but he says that is what everyone does and he read it in the Lego book.

He wants to build bigger Mindstorm creations, but all the pieces will get jumbled up together. These Technic sets were over $100 and just sitting built on a display shelf. :001_smile:

Edited by LNC

YES! Please let him combine his technic and mindstorm pieces. Our Lego League team actually seeks out and purchases technic kits just for the pieces we need to build bigger better robots and attatchments.

Search on YouTube for Lego League robots and see what the robots look like that might help you feel a little better with what he is trying to accomplish by combining the two.

Oh my, absolutely let him do that!! I understand the impulse to keep them together and neat, but doing that totally neglects the best part of LEGO - building new stuff.

If you don't want a massive jumble of stuff, and are willing to put in the work, I'd suggest you implement a sorting system. I bought a lot of Stanley toolboxes (not the ones like tackle boxes, but the ones with clear lids and compartments) for our LEGO. My kids are 4 and 7, spend 90% of their playtime with LEGO, and doing this has been the best move we've ever made. It does require us to sit down and sort for an hour or so every couple of weeks (especially if we haven't been paying enough attention to them when they are using it), but the benefits have been awesome - they no longer ask me to find every piece for them, and it doesn't take an hour of shifting to find anything.

My next move is to get my father-in-law to design us a shelf that will fit our boxes. Right now they are just stacked against a wall near the LEGO table.

Should I let my son take apart his huge Technic sets and have them in a big pile with his Mindstorm pieces for imaginative building?

I'm so hesitant, but he says that is what everyone does and he read it in the Lego book.

He wants to build bigger Mindstorm creations, but all the pieces will get jumbled up together. These Technic sets were over $100 and just sitting built on a display shelf. :001_smile:

Curious, how old is your son?

He's right! That's what many, many kids do my son included. Here the expensive Legos are put together swiftly and taken down sometimes the same day to create new pieces ds imagined. I know it seems like a 'waste' but it really isn't! Give him his lead.

My DD doesn't do mindstorms, but is heavily into MOC building (My Own Creations), and regularly will request specific sets, NOT because she wants to build that set, but because it has pieces she wants for her creations. For example, we've bought two copies of the Rise of Atlantis set, not because DD is interested in lego Atlantis, but because that set had pieces she needed to try to construct Ancient Greece.

We have an entire room with legos sorted into bins, and technic is sorted separately because those pieces are so useful in making legos go in different angles and do neat things.

I asked because my 12 year old fears he is getting 'too old' for Legos. :(

Is his "fear" due to peer pressure? There is no age limit for LEGO. Sure some kids will naturally lose interest. But others will become AFOL (Adult Fans of LEGO) which is probably my son's fate! He'll be 14 this summer and would still rather have LEGO sets than electronic gadgets.