Menu

1 semester online writing class for grade 8 or 9?

I used Write@Home's Essay 1 with my ds when he was in 10th grade (I think--maybe in 11th). It could easily be used as an 8th or 9th grade class. They did some readings in The Lively Art of Writing, and wrote 4 essays over the course of the semester. It was a very basic, formulaic introduction to expos writing. I think they did two descriptive and two persuasive essays, but I don't truly remember. One week they'd work on the first one, then while they waited for comments, work on the second one, back and forth, so they always had something to work on, but it was light either way.

I just needed someone else to grade/edit his work; I felt overwhelmed when I read his stuff, b/c it needed so much correction, I didn't know what to start with. Once he had a basic structure, it was much easier for both of us. I write sort of intuitively, and so does he, so having some hand holding was really helpful.

Overall, tho, I think the course is light and I would only recommend it for those who need a jumpstart or the beginning essentials.

More reviews please!

I've been searching the boards, and I have a tentative plan for my rising 8th grader.

Write at Home (Write@Home) Essay 1 & 2 in 8th. They use The Lively Art of Writing, and I already wanted to use that next year.

Advanced Composition from Potter's School for 9th.

Edited by LNC

My younger son just completed the 2nd semester middle school class. I was very pleased with the assignments and the quality of the feedback.

I plan on signing my d up for the class when she is a little older.

You mean Debra Bell's Middle School Tools class? Or Write at Home? Thinking about the DB one for my ds...

You mean Debra Bell's Middle School Tools class? Or Write at Home? Thinking about the DB one for my ds...

Debra Bell's. I also use (and am happy with) write at home. My son asked to take an additional writing class the 2nd semester, and I was please with DB's middle school tools.

My 8th grade daughter just finished the 1 semester class on Debra Bell's middle school tools. It was just what we needed someone else giving constructive comments on her writing. The teacher Mrs. Breault was great. We are planning on taking the Intro to Literature and Academic Writing for 9th grade English next year. I would recommend this class to anyone.

Edited by pixie36

If you are going to try Tps Advanced Comp in 9th why not do TPS English 2 in 8th?

I just want writing instruction, not a complete English course. I love CLE LA and I'm sure my daughter would do well on the grammar placement test for Advanced Comp.