Menu

Non-toxic cat litter?

I think we are going to keep a stray kitten we found in our backyard today. We are taking it to get checked out tomorrow and if it is healthy I'm going to let the kids keep it as "their" pet. :)

I know nothing about cats! I try very hard to keep chemicals out of our house so I need suggestions for organic, etc litter choices. I need something the kids can take care of since it's "their" cat though. Thanks for any tips!!

We use a wheat-based litter called Swheat Scoop. It's a clumping litter, and compared to a couple of other litters we've used, it is less tracking. It's clay and chemical free, and I believe it's flushable if done in small batches. We have so many cats that it wouldn't be worth trying for us, but with one I bet you could get away with it. The only thing I don't like about it is it stinks like peed-on bread after 4 or 5 days even with frequent scooping. We do have 3 cats though, and to be fair, all the litter we've tried smells. We've gotten around this problem by not filling the box so high and doing more frequent full-box-changes. Good luck with your kitty!

When we got our kitten from the humane society almost 2 years ago, they used the litter that is made from recycled newspapers. We continued with that and have been happy with it. Our grocery store carries Good Mews which is fairly inexpensive--usually on sale for just under $6/bag which lasts for 4 litter box changes.

Our breeder was very particular about this. She very strongly advised - NO CLUMPING. There is stuff in there that's not good. She has tried every single thing and the only one she likes (and doesn't smell bad) is from Walmart, of all places. To be honest, I do not like Walmart, and don't shop there, but I promised I would try it, and it's really good. SO. My husband will make the sacrifice to go there every three months and stock up on this litter.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Special-Kitty-Natural-Cat-Litter-25-lb/10293705

But I also line our litter tray with all natural pine pellets - you can get them at Trader Joe's. These soak up urine also. We scoop it every day (again, not clumpable) and then switch it all our once a week. We don't have any smell issues, and have been really happy with all of this.

I can't say enough good things about pine litter! I had always bought clumping clay litter for our cat, but when I got my kitten last year, I spent some time researching more environmentally friendly litters. The wheat and corn based litters sounded okay, until I discovered that there is a (probably remote) possibility that the litter could get infested with pantry-type pests. Yuck! So, I decided to try pine litter, and I love it. Some of the "specialty" litters can get fairly pricey as well. I've found though that you can get pine litter a lot cheaper. I think I was paying about $15 for a 40 lb. bag at PetSmart. I can buy this:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/horse-stall-tools/equine-fresh-trade-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb--2181006

...for about $6 a bag. As far as I can tell, it's exactly the same. I think I also read online that some places sell some type of pine wood pellet for stoves that is the same as well. I don't remember exactly -- you'd have to Google it yourself. Anyway, hope that helps!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/horse-stall-tools/equine-fresh-trade-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb--2181006

...for about $6 a bag. As far as I can tell, it's exactly the same. I think I also read online that some places sell some type of pine wood pellet for stoves that is the same as well. I don't remember exactly -- you'd have to Google it yourself. Anyway, hope that helps!

Yep, this is what we have used for years. We have 11 cats, and it does great. We started with the Feline Pine, but discovered this for so much cheaper and have used it ever since. It is cheap and natural.