Menu

Children that Drain You

I am already at the point today where I want to crawl back under the covers and not come out until the kids are in bed. Anybody with me here??? I love my dd to death, but some days I think SHE will be the death of ME. Some days (today) everything seems to be a constant battle-EVERYTHING! I do use consequences, but some days she has consequence after consequence. That's when I feel like going to sleep, or breaking out the dorritos. And the cookies, and the popcorn, and-well, you get the picture. I AM DRAINED.:leaving:

I'm not there today because my son who routinely gets my goat and makes me think I'm going to end up in the loony bin is sick today and when he's sick, he's quiet and causes no trouble at all! (Don't tell anyone... it's sort of a nice break!!) But I have been where you are on many many many MANY occasions so I know just how you feel! :grouphug:

Download "I Will Survive" and blast it once or twice and dance around the room like a lunatic... maybe that will lighten the mood? ;):grouphug:

YES, yes and yes!

I used to LOVE the break when my older ds would get sick (I loved the break, NOT that he was sick though). That would mean he would be quiet and calm for awhile.

Mine still have their days now and then, but I'm noticing my older ds is maturing a bit (sometimes) and it makes it nice when it can be rather calm around here. Now to only get my younger ds to mature a bit....

And please, please, don't take this wrong...

But I find that there is one particular week a month where I find my children very draining.

It was very disconcerting to find that it was me and not them. :blush:

Again, not saying this is you, but realizing that my hormones were to blame made it easier to keep things in perspective...and not hurt someone.

But I find that there is one particular week a month where I find my children very draining.

Reflecting calmly on it, yes this could be PART of the reason! But even so, she does get to me like no one else. Perhaps because she's just like me?:001_huh: And I would love to take a bath when dh gets home. The problem is, he won't be home til Wed.!!! The good news is that a friend and I have scheduled a garage sale and dinner get together Friday afternoon, so I will just focus on that. Thanks for the perspective!

she is just like that. She is chattering happily right now, but she will be the one to always go head to head with me or dh on most things, even small areas of obedience. She can be very draining and I have to sometimes work at not showing that I am out of patience with her. No advice, but lots of comisseration. :grouphug:

A couple of things, first I do beleive we are approaching a full moon. Secondly, I think you stole my child. And you can keep her. :D

Anyway, I have a child like that. She. Just. Drains. Me. She is VERY smart & alert. And sensitive. For instance, last week dd3 looked dd6 'mean' and dd6 went to pieces over it. Z looked at me mean. She doens't love me. (Never mind that I just took the toy away from her, or hit her, or insulted her....) Dh spanked her this weekend for something and you would have thought he was strangling her the way she was screaming. She didn't scream this loud over shots or eye drops. I mean, that high pitched, full vocal scream. It was an emotional, as well as, physical pain for her. (If I spank her, it's over in less than a minute--I think she is trying to manipulate him, myself).

We've started using Omega-3 oils with our dd and it has helped her be less emotional. It's been a god-send for me, since I am homeschooling and don't have Monday mornings to look forward too.

Hugs,

I pray out loud for patience. I yell at God. My exhausting DS sees my relationship with the Creator of all things up close and personal, and sees me struggling.

I think it's good for us both.

And as he's gotten older, he's gained an immense amount of self-control. And I think I may have Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, because I can react to his [now mild] outbursts by over-reacting as if he were throwing a huge fit. I need to pray for myself even now, for calm, and for emotional healing and self-control. Just because he was one way a year ago, doesn't mean he's the same kid today, he deserves to be seen for the child he is now.

Just my two pennies. Best wishes.

He can be the most snuggly, creative, enthusiastic child...and then he has one meltdown or crisis after another. He is in an all-day science camp this week, and the house is so-o-o calm. I am truly worried about next year, when his amazingly bright younger brother who has the potintial to learn to much is home to start K (he was at our church preschool, 3 mornings a week this year) and will need some time and attention from me, without constant interruption.

Blessings to you (and follow up that tea with a nice glass of wine tonight!)