Menu

Squeaky Clean Spy/Thriller Novel?

Ds (19) was just asking me to recommend a spy novel/thriller. He has no tolerance for racy bits! I was sort of stumped. I read a bunch of the genre in my 20's but don't remember clearly enough at all. Seems to me they all had "tea" scenes.

Hopefully the hive knows ... (insert appropriately spooky laugh here)

Bear in mind that I haven't read any of these with a 19 year old in mind, but Harlen Coben writes really action-packed mystery-type novels that strike me as very clean. Maybe a smattering of bad words but usually few to none.

I think one (Gone for Good) had one scene of a teenage boy on a couch with the girlfriend, but even that was not described at all. And I can't think of anything in any of the other four I've read by him.

Maybe his stuff would work? It's definitely edge of your seat for me and for my hubby (who introduced me to his stuff).

HTH,

Christina

Check out the Mrs. Pollifax books by Dorothy Gilman. They're set during the Cold War. The protagonist is a retired widow who, through a various set of circumstances, ends up as a volunteer with the CIA. They're exciting, fun and all of us have enjoyed them (including my husband, who is a big fan of McLean, and my then 9 yo).