Menu

Planning for 9th - more questions/need help with ICP

Well, I think I've read every thread about Integrated Chemistry and Physics (ICP) and am still not sure about what to do for next year's 9th grade science. DIVE ICP or DIVE Biology (already have CLP Biology to use with this)?

I've emailed DIVE, talked with Home Training Tools, my local umbrella school, etc.

As a background, this is only my 2nd child to go through highschool even though we've been homeschooling forever....yes, HUGE gap. He is currently finishing up Physical Science in 8th and I had planned to move to Biology next year. ICP was not on my radar at all. I had never even heard it brought up among my homeschooling friends. My umbrella school seems to think I should move on to Biology. Apologia doesn't seem to regard ICP as something to be concerned with. DIVE obviously recommends ICP even after Apologia Physical Science based on their text being considered more of an "Earth Science"; at least half of the concepts would be repeated in ICP. I'm leaning toward Biology, yet I still have this nagging concern that perhaps this is something I need a better explanation for. I mean, who wants to short change their child's future educational endeavors? I'm just trying to judge the benefit vs. the time that would be lost for an entire year of highschool science. Even when I google about ICP as a new college recommendation I'm not finding much info. So, if there is such a big concern with students not being better prepared for Biology and the chemical processes involved, why is there not more of a concensus on ICP?

If you've done ICP are you glad you did it? Had you previously done Apologia physical science only to do ICP the following year?

I'm open to any experiences you have had or any input you may have about this.

Thanks in advance!

Blessings,

Penny

If I had it to do over, we would not have done DIVE ICP. I would have gone straight into biology. That's what I plan to do with the next dc. I won't be using DIVE again, as the instructor's voice puts us all to sleep. We'll probably use the redwagontutorials DVD instead.

the instructor's voice puts us all to sleep.

:lol::lol:

We have this issue too, but I'm trying it with another student anyway.

No, I wouldn't do ICP with a student that has already done Apologia Physical. It is far more rigorous and does have lots of new material, but it is unnecessary. Go on to Biology and enjoy.

We don't use Apologia and we do ICP (mostly without DIVE) in 8th grade. The only reason I would do both is if your child is seriously behind in math and needs to stall science for some catch up time.

I'm glad dd did ICP, but she had not done Physical in 8th grade. She used BJU's middle school Life Science course. Apologia's Physical science has some earth science while ICP is a semester of chemistry and a semester of physics. I feel that it has been a very good introduction to both courses. Dd is in 9th and our state requires 4 sciences. She will do Biology in 10th and Chemistry in 11th. She's unsure about what she wants to do for her 4th science (possibly A&P or physics). If she chooses to do A&P, then I'm glad she's at least had this semester of physics.

I do not know if we are using Dive next year or not because dd might be doing Biology labs in a group that is using Apologia, so she'll need to follow their schedule.

Mine used Apologia Physical Science in a local class this year, so I'm having him finish that up, and then I'm adding a bit more chemistry to turn it into ICP. I'm using the Instructional Fair Physical Science book to get chemistry worksheets and we'll some chemistry experiments from various books I have. I taught a local grade school chemistry class six years ago, so I have everything I need already. My middle school student loves chemistry too, so that is our summer science focus.

Just an idea. I wouldn't do ICP after physical science. Obviously I disagree with DIVE on that.