Menu

Combining Sonlight and Biblioplan

ByGrace3

ok, I know I am crazy! :willy_nilly: but I know I have read that some (or at least 1!) do this.

What I am thinking. I like the look of Sonlight, am planning to do Core C next year. I will combine ds (K) in for read a louds, some of the missionary aspects and probably geography along with a picture book on the topic as I can get them from the library.

I like the 4 year cycle but am not overly committed to it for the grammar stage, so I am ok doing doing Core C next year, 2 years of American and then jumping back into the 4 yr cycle for logic, which is also when dd2 will join us, so a good time for that. I plan to use MOH for the 2nd cycle, probably with BP to tie everyone in.

Neither dd nor I are big fans of SOTW. My biggest complaint this year was it was too much breadth and not enough depth. I want dd to interact with the material and people more. Actually come away with something, which I don't feel like after SOTW 1 we did. We are going to reread most of the picture books this summer and I do think that will help give more of a grasp to some of it. And yes, I do understand the goal at this age is exposure.

So, if you do combine BP and SL, what do you do? Any other options than adding SL lit to BP which I originally planned . . . but don't think we will for next year anyway.

I was sort of thinking we could take the first 24 weeks of SL which covers the time period of SOTW, use CHOW but also SOTW audio as possible. I want to use the SL schedule as far as Windows to the World, geography songs and the poetry/fables/ read alouds as is. My main thought is to add in the BP readers since I am finding dd is liking reading historical fiction and seeing the connections, and she is reading well and will be able to handle more than the SL readers I think. I would use lower level BP readers to make it enjoyable I think. Also I would add the BP maps. Again, I think my goal would only be to get through the first 24 weeks with adding in extra maps, readers, and lots of hands on.

So, am I crazy? :lol: Anyone care to share their combination plans? Also if you use or have used both which approach to missionary studies do you like better? Is there much missionary study in core C? Since Windows to the World is more geographical prayer right? If SL C doesn't have missionary study, I would add that from BP as well.

recap:

What I want from SL:

Basic schedule (not day to day but order lining up Window to the World, geography songs, etc)

Reader comprehension questions

History notes

Books

Read alouds that are good literature not tying into history

The first 24 weeks of Core C :tongue_smilie:

What I want from BP:

Readers that tie into history on dd's reading level

Maps

books to use as a library list when we can get to them

Missionary focus?

OK, I "think" I understand what you're saying you want and please keep in mind that I have never used SL, only drooled over it. BP does have some missionary focus, but that is talked about/discussed more in the BP Companion. I think if I were you I would probably buy a used core c guide and get my Biblioplan guide. I would then make up a word document that lists what I want to use from both programs in it and use that as my guide. I do feel compelled to ask if you're sure you don't want to use MFW and just add the Sonlight books to that. I think that's what you'll be getting by the time you're done with all the tweaking.

OK, I "think" I understand what you're saying you want and please keep in mind that I have never used SL, only drooled over it. BP does have some missionary focus, but that is talked about/discussed more in the BP Companion. I think if I were you I would probably buy a used core c guide and get my Biblioplan guide. I would then make up a word document that lists what I want to use from both programs in it and use that as my guide. I do feel compelled to ask if you're sure you don't want to use MFW and just add the Sonlight books to that. I think that's what you'll be getting by the time you're done with all the tweaking.

I am amazed you even relatively could understand my rambling! :tongue_smilie:

I don't want to buy a used IG as I like the new ones better, nothing simple right? :lol:

As for MFW, I have looked at it so.many.times. I want to love it as the idea is exactly what I want, but every time I go and see the booklist and the samples, I am reminded that I don't think it is for me. First, K and first were not what I wanted at all. And I don't want to do American history for second grade so Adventures are out, and the CTG is over my second and kers head and I don't think it would be enough for us for 5th (though yes I could add SL books and that would help). I like what we use for Bible and science . . . further complicating it. ;) So, for now it is not an option, but I may think differently then :)

:bigear:

I could have posted this, myself, OP. Your reasons for wanting SL and BP are the same as mine!

I have used MFW 1st (for K) and Adventures (for 1st), and enjoyed both, but using their programs ahead of schedule is not going to work well for combining my dc.

Right now I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to combine SL Core B with BP Ancients and/or some combo of SOTW and MOH and SL B. :willy_nilly:

:lurk5:

I used to use SL (LOVE their literature focus SO much!), but am now a die-hard BP fan. :D What I do to help with the "loss" of SL is to schedule in ANY of the SL readers/read-alouds that I possibly can to fit with the cycle of BP we are using. We are just wrapping up BP Year 3 and I have an older copy of SL Core 3 (first half of U.S. history) that I used for the vocab. and reading comp. questions. (I currently have a thread out on the 'For Sale' board because I am searching for an older copy of Core 4!) It worked just fine. I admit to not utilizing the SL questions as much as I WANTED to, but was glad I had them - felt like a nice little safety net! ;) BP just does such a great job of keeping the history and geography focused on the classical model/cycles that I can't NOT do it!

Hope that helped the slightest bit!

I love the SL book list but I don't like SOTW. So you could just use Biblioplan Companion as your spine, add whatever hands-on, maps, etc. and the book lost from SL.

This is what I'm doing.

We just started using Biblioplan. I LOVE it though.

So, if you are crazy, at least you know you aren't alone!!

ok, I know I am crazy! :willy_nilly: but I know I have read that some (or at least 1!) do this.

What I am thinking. I like the look of Sonlight, am planning to do Core C next year. I will combine ds (K) in for read a louds, some of the missionary aspects and probably geography along with a picture book on the topic as I can get them from the library.

I like the 4 year cycle but am not overly committed to it for the grammar stage, so I am ok doing doing Core C next year, 2 years of American and then jumping back into the 4 yr cycle for logic, which is also when dd2 will join us, so a good time for that. I plan to use MOH for the 2nd cycle, probably with BP to tie everyone in.

Neither dd nor I are big fans of SOTW. My biggest complaint this year was it was too much breadth and not enough depth. I want dd to interact with the material and people more. Actually come away with something, which I don't feel like after SOTW 1 we did. We are going to reread most of the picture books this summer and I do think that will help give more of a grasp to some of it. And yes, I do understand the goal at this age is exposure.

So, if you do combine BP and SL, what do you do? Any other options than adding SL lit to BP which I originally planned . . . but don't think we will for next year anyway.

I was sort of thinking we could take the first 24 weeks of SL which covers the time period of SOTW, use CHOW but also SOTW audio as possible. I want to use the SL schedule as far as Windows to the World, geography songs and the poetry/fables/ read alouds as is. My main thought is to add in the BP readers since I am finding dd is liking reading historical fiction and seeing the connections, and she is reading well and will be able to handle more than the SL readers I think. I would use lower level BP readers to make it enjoyable I think. Also I would add the BP maps. Again, I think my goal would only be to get through the first 24 weeks with adding in extra maps, readers, and lots of hands on.

So, am I crazy? :lol: Anyone care to share their combination plans? Also if you use or have used both which approach to missionary studies do you like better? Is there much missionary study in core C? Since Windows to the World is more geographical prayer right? If SL C doesn't have missionary study, I would add that from BP as well.

recap:

What I want from SL:

Basic schedule (not day to day but order lining up Window to the World, geography songs, etc)

Reader comprehension questions

History notes

Books

Read alouds that are good literature not tying into history

The first 24 weeks of Core C :tongue_smilie:

What I want from BP:

Readers that tie into history on dd's reading level

Maps

books to use as a library list when we can get to them

Missionary focus?

I used to use SL (LOVE their literature focus SO much!), but am now a die-hard BP fan. :D What I do to help with the "loss" of SL is to schedule in ANY of the SL readers/read-alouds that I possibly can to fit with the cycle of BP we are using. We are just wrapping up BP Year 3 and I have an older copy of SL Core 3 (first half of U.S. history) that I used for the vocab. and reading comp. questions. (I currently have a thread out on the 'For Sale' board because I am searching for an older copy of Core 4!) It worked just fine. I admit to not utilizing the SL questions as much as I WANTED to, but was glad I had them - felt like a nice little safety net! ;) BP just does such a great job of keeping the history and geography focused on the classical model/cycles that I can't NOT do it!

Hope that helped the slightest bit!

thanks! Your comments in numerous threads have been very helpful as I plan this. I do think at one point we talked about Core D and E though, did you do those straight SL or BP with readers? My desire to to SL D and E are what led me to SL for C. Are D and E so wonderful alone that it is worth it or would adding it that to BP be just as good/better? My original plan was to do D and E with my then 3rd/4th grader and tag along 1st/2nd grader adding BP or TQ to help combine.

Also, I do think there are components of the IG that I want. I just don't think I want to do it as is. :tongue_smilie: Maybe when I get the IG or even after I spend some time with it at convention I will change my mind. I used to think I would never buy SL bc of the cost, especially if I were going to tweak. However, now I know I will tweak no matter what, only wish I could only spend that for history! :lol:

I love the SL book list but I don't like SOTW. So you could just use Biblioplan Companion as your spine, add whatever hands-on, maps, etc. and the book lost from SL.

This is what I'm doing.

yes, looking forward to next year and then when we are at this point with ds and dd2, I will put much less emphasis on the spine. Topics and lots of books, mapping and hands on are where we should be focusing. SOTW hasn't been a total bust, I just should have given myself more permission to tweak it for us, ie. grouping by cultures and not feeling the need to do every story of every chapter. This is what the first child is for right? :lol:

This is what I'm doing.

:iagree: this could definitely work.

"I do think at one point we talked about Core D and E though, did you do those straight SL or BP with readers?"

I did BP with SL readers/read alouds mixed in. While I love U.S. history and want to pass that love along to my kids, my over-arching desire is to stick to classical cycles; that is the main thing that led me to BP in the first place. I find BP to be a wonderful combination of U.S. history AND the history of "the rest of the world" and/or HOW the U.S. fits into the history of the world. Love it!

You're welcome! I'm happy to answer any questions you have. :001_smile:

"I do think at one point we talked about Core D and E though, did you do those straight SL or BP with readers?"

I did BP with SL readers/read alouds mixed in. While I love U.S. history and want to pass that love along to my kids, my over-arching desire is to stick to classical cycles; that is the main thing that led me to BP in the first place. I find BP to be a wonderful combination of U.S. history AND the history of "the rest of the world" and/or HOW the U.S. fits into the history of the world. Love it!

You're welcome! I'm happy to answer any questions you have. :001_smile:

Did you use all of the SL books or pick and choose? I am kind of thinking the D and E spines like Landmark will be far above their heads, so maybe BP with all of the SL books readers/read alouds in the BP schedule with the BP extras might work well.

I do still think I am going to do a complete mix for next year as I really feel as though rushing through SOTW trying to fit it into 36 week took the fun out of history. I think using the first 23-24 weeks of SL as a guide might be just what I need to give myself "permission" to rabbit trail. ;)

The BP year 2 will be out in 2 weeks, then I will go to convention end of May and decide on the SL IG. For now I will piece together books from SL and the promising ones from BP, focusing on the readers which I know I want to add either way.

I really want to study the classical history cycles by units, which I think is why I am drawn to SL core C somewhat. There are several weeks of knights and castles, several weeks of vikings etc. This is what I want-- spending more time on less things. Nothing out there does this for me does it? :lol: and this is why I am going to buy 2 expensive history curricula and use niether :tongue_smilie:

I really want to study the classical history cycles by units, which I think is why I am drawn to SL core C somewhat. There are several weeks of knights and castles, several weeks of vikings etc. This is what I want-- spending more time on less things. Nothing out there does this for me does it? :lol: and this is why I am going to buy 2 expensive history curricula and use niether :tongue_smilie:

Ha! Ha! I totally feel your pain. (I am a non-recovering curricula JUNKIE.)

Did you use all of the SL books or pick and choose? I am kind of thinking the D and E spines like Landmark will be far above their heads, so maybe BP with all of the SL books readers/read alouds in the BP schedule with the BP extras might work well.

I don't think I used ALL of the SL books, but MANY of them. They are just SO good. BP's book list is exhaustive (and exhausting to look at!) and they recommend many of the same books as SL, so I didn't feel any guilt for "straying" back to SL. :D

One great resource I have been using for U.S. history (that neither SL or BP recommend?!) is the DK Children's Encyclopedia of American History. It is laid out like all the other history encyclopedias, so it is "familiar" feeling and packed with great stuff. The 2-page spreads are just the right amount for my boys and they compliment our SOTW readings with a focus on the U.S. It has been good!

I don't think I used ALL of the SL books, but MANY of them. They are just SO good. BP's book list is exhaustive (and exhausting to look at!) and they recommend many of the same books as SL, so I didn't feel any guilt for "straying" back to SL. :D

One great resource I have been using for U.S. history (that neither SL or BP recommend?!) is the DK Children's Encyclopedia of American History. It is laid out like all the other history encyclopedias, so it is "familiar" feeling and packed with great stuff. The 2-page spreads are just the right amount for my boys and they compliment our SOTW readings with a focus on the U.S. It has been good!

I just love hearing how well BP is going for you, it sounds like you just really enjoy what you're doing.

" This is what the first child is for right? :lol: "

LOL

I've always said" The first child is the experiment child, the 2nd child is the practice child, by the time you get #3, you get it all right!"

Course #'s 4,5,6,and 7 killed THAT theory!

BP does have some missionary focus, but that is talked about/discussed more in the BP Companion.

just so you know this comment may have single handedly caused me to completely rethink our history plan for next year! :glare:

:lol:

No seriously, I just looked at the companion samples and there is so much good missionary/church history stuff there, how can we miss it?!? And I think the BP prices went up and I may not be able to buy all of BP and SL :glare: ok so that was a crazy plan anyway. :lol:

Rethinking.everything.

BP as a spine with SL readers and read alouds. Add in the windows to the world and geography songs as I can...??? Ugh, I really wanted the SL notes, but it seems like the BP companion might be better notes even if there are no questions?

Oh question, the age readers in BP are they meant to be read by the child? For my second grader who reads at a 4/5th grade level would I choose k-2 or 3+ readers?

And it looks like the cool history for littles includes some hands on/crafts is it enough or is the craft book much more/worth it.

I am going to try to not make any decisions until I can "see" the SL IG, I am going to go ahead and buy the BP guide when it comes out to see it at least.

.....great, something else to think about now! :)

Welcome to the dark side! :willy_nilly:

All of this and I still have no clue!

I like the church history focus in BP but when I look at the TOC it seems a lot like my issues with SOTW, very fast paced, not spending much time on any one thing. Is it like that? I know the grammar stage is for exposure, but we really didn't enjoy going this fast this year. I know SL is fast too, covering way too many topics for us in 1 year, which is why I was planning to only do 23 weeks spread over 36.

Why do I have this feeling that what we do is going to be such a combination of the 2 it will be unrecognizable. :001_huh: poor dh. :leaving: poor dc! :lol:

Maybe I will design my own plan with units through the middle ages with SL and BP books, with BP extras. What do we think? :lol: Perhaps I need to start a thread on topics and people to cover of the Middle Ages/renaissance/ reformation. oh wait, this is looking like WTM history without SOTW. :svengo:

Focus on the people of the MA with geography . . . my mind is spinning. I think it is time to go to bed. :auto:

So another thought. Please feel free to tell me I have lost it! :001_huh:

One of my hangups for SL is the 4/5 day week. What if I scheduled 24 weeks of SL over 32 weeks which would then be the 4 day schedule being only used 3 days a week. I could then add in BP books and maps, and the VP cards (which would take care of the lack of church history component in SL without needing to buy the BP companion AND SL IG, and the SOTW 2 audio as it ties in. . The read alouds and readers we would use the whole years worth and do those every day. The fifth day books which I hate the whole 1 chapter a week I could put in where they fit if they tie into the history or as we get to them if they don't.

I think I prefer the SL order/toc better than BP's . . . I think. :tongue_smilie:

though I am still going to buy the BP guide for the books and SOTW/books order.

I "think" I would still want the IG as I would be using their "lineup" if not in a M-F order, as well as the notes and questions . . . right?

ok, this is the point where you tell me I have officially lost it. :auto:

I have a quick question. I am going to be doing BP Ancients with my rising 6th grader who is a very good reader, loves to read and loves History. I really like to idea of combining BP with sonlight readers. I am not too familiar with Sonlight, but from the looks of the core packages I would choose core G. Do I just pick out the readers I want or is there a list somewhere on how and which books line up with the BP curriculum? I was planning on buying all the BP resources but I don't think it includes living books.

Thanks!

I have a quick question. I am going to be doing BP Ancients with my rising 6th grader who is a very good reader, loves to read and loves History. I really like to idea of combining BP with sonlight readers. I am not too familiar with Sonlight, but from the looks of the core packages I would choose core G. Do I just pick out the readers I want or is there a list somewhere on how and which books line up with the BP curriculum? I was planning on buying all the BP resources but I don't think it includes living books.

Thanks!

BP does not come with books, but it does have a substantial list of living books to read and a schedule for them. Many add SL books just bc they are great. I know though as I looked at the book list for BP there were quite a few SL books scheduled already. I pf you want to add more, yes core G would be where you could pull. You could just buy the reader package or pick and choose what you want to add from the history/readers/read alouds. :)

There is no list I know of lining them up, except that some are probably already scheduled in BP.

just so you know this comment may have single handedly caused me to completely rethink our history plan for next year! :glare:

:lol:

No seriously, I just looked at the companion samples and there is so much good missionary/church history stuff there, how can we miss it?!? And I think the BP prices went up and I may not be able to buy all of BP and SL :glare: ok so that was a crazy plan anyway. :lol:

Rethinking.everything.

BP as a spine with SL readers and read alouds. Add in the windows to the world and geography songs as I can...??? Ugh, I really wanted the SL notes, but it seems like the BP companion might be better notes even if there are no questions?

Oh question, the age readers in BP are they meant to be read by the child? For my second grader who reads at a 4/5th grade level would I choose k-2 or 3+ readers?

And it looks like the cool history for littles includes some hands on/crafts is it enough or is the craft book much more/worth it.

I am going to try to not make any decisions until I can "see" the SL IG, I am going to go ahead and buy the BP guide when it comes out to see it at least.

No, there are not questions in the BP companion, that's what the cool history pages are used for and from what i've seen of the companion, it does offer alot of extra information. Keep in mind that I haven't really used Sonlight.

Yes, the age readers in BP can be read by the child and I would choose the 3+ readers for a child reading at that level. You can move up and or down if you want to. Honestly, I have heard that the crafts in the guide are not as good as the ones in the SOTW guide. I was thinking of just getting the cool history pages and using the crafts from that as well.

BP does not come with books, but it does have a substantial list of living books to read and a schedule for them. Many add SL books just bc they are great. I know though as I looked at the book list for BP there were quite a few SL books scheduled already. I pf you want to add more, yes core G would be where you could pull. You could just buy the reader package or pick and choose what you want to add from the history/readers/read alouds. :)

There is no list I know of lining them up, except that some are probably already scheduled in BP.

:iagree:

Thank you. I guess somehow I missed the reading list for BP. I appreciate the feedback. I think Sonlight offers great choices so it's good to have a back-up resource. :001_smile:

Thank you. I guess somehow I missed the reading list for BP. I appreciate the feedback. I think Sonlight offers great choices so it's good to have a back-up resource. :001_smile:

Yes, hey both have great book lists which is why I cannot choose just one! SL has lots of chapter books and historical fiction, while BP has more picture books as well as historical fictions and combinations of such. I like SL core c buti would hate to do middle ages with a lower grammar student and miss the great lit that BP schedules.... So we are adding it into SL ....I think unless my craziness sets in and I once again go back to adding SL to BP :tongue_smilie:

Yes, hey both have great book lists which is why I cannot choose just one! SL has lots of chapter books and historical fiction, while BP has more picture books as well as historical fictions and combinations of such. I like SL core c buti would hate to do middle ages with a lower grammar student and miss the great lit that BP schedules.... So we are adding it into SL ....I think unless my craziness sets in and I once again go back to adhding SL to BP :tongue_smilie:

Ugh... you have me looking at biblioplan again.

Okay... these are my issues with the online samples. Does anyone have any feedback for the following?

1. The companion is only available as an ebook and doesn't seem written to young students. Is the idea that I would read it and then summarize the info for the student? Or is it to be read aloud like SOTW? I also despise the idea of reading off the computer. Any ideas on printing it off?

2. The samples seem to frequently show the same book recs for k-2 and 3-5. I have sort of a hard time believing that a k'er and 5th grader can benefit from the same book. Is this fairly common? Or do they usually have their own readers?

Okay... these are my issues with the online samples. Does anyone have any feedback for the following?

1. The companion is only available as an ebook and doesn't seem written to young students. Is the idea that I would read it and then summarize the info for the student? Or is it to be read aloud like SOTW? I also despise the idea of reading off the computer. Any ideas on printing it off?

2. The samples seem to frequently show the same book recs for k-2 and 3-5. I have sort of a hard time believing that a k'er and 5th grader can benefit from the same book. Is this fairly common? Or do they usually have their own readers?

The companion can be printed off of your computer OR you can buy the printed version that BP sells. It's not written to the student, but the sections are color coded for each grade level and those are the sections that you are to read to your student. A highschooler would read the complete companion.

2. No, that is not common, they usually have their own readers

The companion can be printed off of your computer OR you can buy the printed version that BP sells. It's not written to the student, but the sections are color coded for each grade level and those are the sections that you are to read to your student. A highschooler would read the complete companion.

Okay... I see the hardcopy now on the other years... just not year 2. Anyone know if that will also be available this summer?

And if you are using it for levels other than high school (who will read the whole thing), I would recommend buying the hard copy rather than printing it yourself, even if you have a color printer. The color-coded sections do not appear distinguishable in black/white, and Year 1 Ancients Companion is 300 pages long, so it would not be cost effective at all to print it in color yourself.

Thanks!

Yes, you would choose Core G, but remember that Sonlight Core G covers the time span that Biblioplan covers in Years 1 and 2, so you would slow it way down.

HERE and HERE are lists of Sonlight books arranged by the WTM 4-year history cycle.

You are correct; BP does not include books. It has things that Sonlight does not have, including worksheets, real maps, a comprehensive Companion, and hands-on activities, and does not tell you exactly what to read each day which is a relief for our family!

Thanks!

Michele,

Keep in mind that Core G from SL is the first HALF of world history, so it covers more than just the ancients. There are SOME books from ancients, but not a ton because it moves at a faster pace than BP, which spends the entire year on ancients only. There is an exhaustive book list that comes with the BP Family (teacher) Guide, so there is PLENTY to choose from and there are tons of living books. :001_smile:

ETA: sorry for giving "repeat" advice . . . I should have read all of the other responses first! : )

Edited by CarrieF

And if you are using it for levels other than high school (who will read the whole thing), I would recommend buying the hard copy rather than printing it yourself, even if you have a color printer. The color-coded sections do not appear distinguishable in black/white, and Year 1 Ancients Companion is 300 pages long, so it would not be cost effective at all to print it in color yourself.

:iagree:

:tongue_smilie: I hear ya. :lol: I am pretty settled on SL for next year, but adding in BP books. I really like the looks of core D and E and think adding TQ books for ds will tie him in well. I think we will jump back into the 4 yr cycle with BP after that.

However, if we liked SOTW, or I was committed to the 4 yr cycle for grammar stage, I would totally use BP. It seems like a great program. I know you were looking at TOG, and just imho TOG was way too much for us. My sister uses it and it is wonderful, but not what I want or need. $300 for what for me would basically be a booklist I have to schedule and some worksheets. The great stuff about TOG-- lit analysis, deep discussions, worldview, etc... won't apply this time around, which is why pp say only to get it if you will use it later as well. I can barely decide on history THIS year, how in the world can I make such huge financial commitment to something I MIGHT use in 4+ years... those are just my thoughts on it. I think BP would be a great option. ;)

but what do I know, I only think I have decided myself! :lol:

:tongue_smilie: I hear ya. :lol: I am pretty settled on SL for next year, but adding in BP books. I really like the looks of core D and E and think adding TQ books for ds will tie him in well. I think we will jump back into the 4 yr cycle with BP after that.

However, if we liked SOTW, or I was committed to the 4 yr cycle for grammar stage, I would totally use BP. It seems like a great program. I know you were looking at TOG, and just imho TOG was way too much for us. My sister uses it and it is wonderful, but not what I want or need. $300 for what for me would basically be a booklist I have to schedule and some worksheets. The great stuff about TOG-- lit analysis, deep discussions, worldview, etc... won't apply this time around, which is why pp say only to get it if you will use it later as well. I can barely decide on history THIS year, how in the world can I make such huge financial commitment to something I MIGHT use in 4+ years... those are just my thoughts on it. I think BP would be a great option. ;)

but what do I know, I only think I have decided myself! :lol:

Yeah... I agree about TOG. However, after I spend hours looking at other curriculum, I start thinking that $300 for a booklist isn't so bad!

Yeah... I agree about TOG. However, after I spend hours looking at other curriculum, I start thinking that $300 for a booklist isn't so bad!

Have you seen the BP lst? The book list is great. My sister and I just compared lists for next year, so we don't double buy, and between SL core C and the books from BP, there is substantial overlap with the TOG books. I felt the BP list was a really good mix of TOG, VP, and SL books. Adding some extra SL books makes it an amazing line up.

I have several main reasons for leaning more towards SL, but with a different child I could have easily gone with BP. Our reasons for SL spine with BP books added:

--We are not SOTW fans

--dd likes variety-- things like Window to the World, geography songs will be good for her

--We all really love SL lit. and at my kids ages I am seeing the priority for really good lit even outside of the history cycle. I don't want to neglect history, but neither do I want to not have time to read Charlotte's Web, or Because of Winn Dixie. I like the variety. Having peoms, Aesops fables, history, lit, songs. dd will appreciate that.

--I like that SL spends several weeks on certain topics (Vikings/castles). I don't like that the Reformation is covered in 1 week, I will tweak that. Many of the BP titles I am adding in have to do with church history. I don't want to miss that. We will use the VP cards as well-- good church history, and great for review.

ok, so I was hoping writing this out would convince me! :lol: Right now my biggest hang up is too much breadth vs depth. I want less topics. SOTW 2 is too all over the place for me. I don't think SL as is would work either bc it spans too many years, which is why I think my best option is to take 24 weeks of SL and expand on them... this could be an interesting year. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, I plan to buy the BP guide and the SL IG and mesh to my hearts content :)

Yes, you would choose Core G, but remember that Sonlight Core G covers the time span that Biblioplan covers in Years 1 and 2, so you would slow it way down.

HERE and HERE are lists of Sonlight books arranged by the WTM 4-year history cycle.

You are correct; BP does not include books. It has things that Sonlight does not have, including worksheets, real maps, a comprehensive Companion, and hands-on activities, and does not tell you exactly what to read each day which is a relief for our family!

Thank you. I will have to look at BP again and get familiar with it now I am closer to ordering it.

Michele,

Keep in mind that Core G from SL is the first HALF of world history, so it covers more than just the ancients. There are SOME books from ancients, but not a ton because it moves at a faster pace than BP, which spends the entire year on ancients only. There is an exhaustive book list that comes with the BP Family (teacher) Guide, so there is PLENTY to choose from and there are tons of living books. :001_smile:

ETA: sorry for giving "repeat" advice . . . I should have read all of the other responses first! : )

No worries! Sometimes, I need to be told twice for it to sink in:D

I appreciate all the feedback! (sorry to hijack)

I'm in the exact same debate and would appreciate any feedback

I have three boys:

-rising 8th grader (strong vocab skills but weak writing skills and weak fine motor - Aspergers)

-rising 5th grader (average reader, weak writing/fine motor, dyslexia possible visual processing issues)

-and a rising 1st grader (developmentally delayed not reading much yet, ok on the fine motor stuff)

I'm looking for a history/literature program that includes mapping, read aloud commentary for the history, fiction book suggestions for all three reading levels, possibly work sheets, writing prompts...

I've tried ToG for one semester- it was too much everything - I couldn't keep it straight and felt overwhelmed.

I've tried Sonlight and felt over structured. Reading aloud five different books at one time wasn't good for us, the kids like to read one fiction book aloud at a time and can tolerate the history fact reading plus maybe one other thing - attention deficit is a major issue around here.

What has worked ok for us have been History Odyssey with Famous Men series books for my oldest... but my oldest son asked that we do less history because he just didn't find it that interesting (/sigh), and the writing/outlining was a pain.

This year I've mainly done SotW with the maps, none of the kids (including the youngest) like to color mainly due to fine motor, or maybe just personality.

I like Sonlights reading lists and questions....and I love history myself.

I am considering trying Biblioplan Bundle for the Family for Early Modern...we finished up Medieval around Christmas and I've been reading a chapter or two of SotW 3 every week but feel like we are getting no depth. I really want to focus on American History and general World History during that time frame for the next school year (or two if needed).

Cost is an issue - or else I would just order SL, BP and others then make my own from those.

Thoughts or suggestions? I'm trying to find that compromise of what our main focus should be, but regardless of my oldest's complaints I feel that understanding our history as a world, culture and as a nation is really key to understanding what is happening in our every day life.

Thanks!!

I'm in the exact same debate and would appreciate any feedback

I have three boys:

-rising 8th grader (strong vocab skills but weak writing skills and weak fine motor - Aspergers)

-rising 5th grader (average reader, weak writing/fine motor, dyslexia possible visual processing issues)

-and a rising 1st grader (developmentally delayed not reading much yet, ok on the fine motor stuff)

I'm looking for a history/literature program that includes mapping, read aloud commentary for the history, fiction book suggestions for all three reading levels, possibly work sheets, writing prompts...

I've tried ToG for one semester- it was too much everything - I couldn't keep it straight and felt overwhelmed.

I've tried Sonlight and felt over structured. Reading aloud five different books at one time wasn't good for us, the kids like to read one fiction book aloud at a time and can tolerate the history fact reading plus maybe one other thing - attention deficit is a major issue around here.

What has worked ok for us have been History Odyssey with Famous Men series books for my oldest... but my oldest son asked that we do less history because he just didn't find it that interesting (/sigh), and the writing/outlining was a pain.

This year I've mainly done SotW with the maps, none of the kids (including the youngest) like to color mainly due to fine motor, or maybe just personality.

I like Sonlights reading lists and questions....and I love history myself.

I am considering trying Biblioplan Bundle for the Family for Early Modern...we finished up Medieval around Christmas and I've been reading a chapter or two of SotW 3 every week but feel like we are getting no depth. I really want to focus on American History and general World History during that time frame for the next school year (or two if needed).

Cost is an issue - or else I would just order SL, BP and others then make my own from those.

Thoughts or suggestions? I'm trying to find that compromise of what our main focus should be, but regardless of my oldest's complaints I feel that understanding our history as a world, culture and as a nation is really key to understanding what is happening in our every day life.

Thanks!!

I think if I were in your situation I would use BP or MFW.