Menu

Dr. Hive could use advice

Dd 8 is struggling with cold-induced asthma. She didn't get very sick, but developed a cough last week. The funny thing is, the cough is not in any way croupy. She has no other symptoms. This began last week after baseball practice. However, it does not seem exercise induced. It gets worse at night. She began a regimen of flovent (?) 2x a day and a rescue inhaler as needed. [for the most part 2-3x a day.] It started to get better on Monday, but today definitely seems worse.

Should I take her back and get albuterol as well? I do have a nebulizer.

What say you?

Does your Dr have an after hours line where you could speak to a live nurse? Ive done this at night time on many ocasions and they have always talked me through giving back to back breathing treatments and such. I already had the albuterol on hand, but if I didnt they would have called it in right away, knowing she has asthma already. I wouldnt hesitate; it could easily get so bad that she could end up being on oral steriods, and that does a lot of long term damage(or so her allergist says it does).

This may not be the case with your daughter but I will share our experience in case it can help.

My son had asthma (he was diagnosed 3 times in one winter by three different doctors) and that winter he had to go to the hospital repeatedly for treatments because he just couldn't breathe. I wasn't happy about the amount of steroids that he was taking so I saw a naturopath to see if there was anything that could help. We ended up taking dairy completely out of his diet and all asthma symptoms disapeared. We have had no symptoms of asthma for the past 3 years. His colds are now just colds and don't end up being major respiratory events.

It is also a general recommendation that during colds people avoid dairy as it tends to cause excess mucus.

As per your original question my philosophy would be to let her body deal with it as much as it is able. Monitor her in case the cough becomes chesty (you know the sound). If she is prone to pneumonia I would be more vigilant. You know your child best. You could also give some elderberry tincture to support her immune system (you can let the dose sit in some hot water for a few minutes to evaporate the alcohol).

I hope your daughter feels better soon.

This may not be the case with your daughter but I will share our experience in case it can help.

My son had asthma (he was diagnosed 3 times in one winter by three different doctors) and that winter he had to go to the hospital repeatedly for treatments because he just couldn't breathe. I wasn't happy about the amount of steroids that he was taking so I saw a naturopath to see if there was anything that could help. We ended up taking dairy completely out of his diet and all asthma symptoms disapeared. We have had no symptoms of asthma for the past 3 years. His colds are now just colds and don't end up being major respiratory events.

It is also a general recommendation that during colds people avoid dairy as it tends to cause excess mucus.

As per your original question my philosophy would be to let her body deal with it as much as it is able. Monitor her in case the cough becomes chesty (you know the sound). If she is prone to pneumonia I would be more vigilant. You know your child best. You could also give some elderberry tincture to support her immune system (you can let the dose sit in some hot water for a few minutes to evaporate the alcohol).

I hope your daughter feels better soon.

Ooh, elderberry syrup. I have some of that.

Hmmm, maybe I will. The thing is, this is not the typical asthma attack. It is the cough only. That is why I am hesitating.

But isn't the cough sort of the beginning of an attack? Or at least an indication that her lungs/whatever are not working properly?

My dd's very first *attack* was preceeded by a cough. I didn't recognize it as asthma.

My son has cough induced asthma. He has no symptoms of asthma when exercising.....only when he gets sick. When he does get sick and develops a cough, he must use albuterol or he will not get better. He just sounds a bit croupy, with a really bad cough that will not go away for weeks.

Before he was prescribed the albuterol, one time he developed pneumonia as a result of the cough variant asthma. The urgent care doctor was surprised by the x-ray results because when he listened to his lungs, they sounded clear. We were sent to the ER for breathing treatments. If we had had the albuterol, all of that would have likely been avoided.

I recommend calling the night nurse, or the doctor in the morning, to ask for a prescription for albuterol to be called in to your pharmacy.

My daughter also only has the cough as a sign of an asthma attack. Usually its a virus or illness that brings it on, and she just coughs and coughs. I cant hear wheezing and usually her oxygen is 100% when I end up taking her into the ER when her cough becomes out of control. My doctor advises against any cough syrups also, even though Ive thought they would help. The albutrol is what has saved the night for us, doing a treatment every four hours, and if she needs it more frequently, I do it under a nurse's care over the phone when I call the after hours nurse line. Albuterol can only help, not hurt the situation, and really the only side effect is rapid heart beat, which subsides after treatments are over. Im not a nurse by any means, Ive just had this happen to my daughter at least 5-10 times a year, if not more, and am just talking from experience. I hope she gets to feeling better:) I always feel so sorry for them when they cough like that.

Another allergy and asthma momma here...

It's hard and very tricky. I wouldn't hesitate to use the nebulizer. Using the rescue inhaler 2-3x/day is too much. I don't mean it will hurt her, but I mean it shows her asthma is poorly controlled. I would call the after hours line tonight and let them help you develop a good plan to get her some rest through the night. Then I would get her in with the asthma doctor and make a plan for future asthma attacks.

:grouphug:

My middle dd had 'Reactive Airway Disorder' (or whatever they call it nowdays) due to a bad RSV infection she had as a baby.

This is a type of NON-ALERGIC asthma.

It usually begins a few days after exposure to a virus.

An occasional cough that gets worse at night is the signal for you to step up meds BEFORE things turn out worse (usually pneumonia) and you end up in the hospital with your child.

Flovent is more of a preventative...it sounds like you have a 'break through' episode and you need support asap.

I prefer albuterol via a nebulizer as opposed to the liquid. I also like Zopenex (seems to have fewer side effects).

I suggest calling your Dr first thing in the morning.

Another allergy and asthma momma here...

It's hard and very tricky. I wouldn't hesitate to use the nebulizer. Using the rescue inhaler 2-3x/day is too much. I don't mean it will hurt her, but I mean it shows her asthma is poorly controlled. I would call the after hours line tonight and let them help you develop a good plan to get her some rest through the night. Then I would get her in with the asthma doctor and make a plan for future asthma attacks.

:grouphug:

I agree :grouphug:

I have two boys now taking singulair for their coughs. One is officially diagnose as reactive airway disorder, but the other one just got in a nasty cycle with his seasonal allergies. He stopped coughing within a day or so of starting the singulair.

My son has attacks with just a cough, it is dry and almost croupy seal sounding. A few puffs of Xopenex usually keeps it at bay, but we have used the nebulizer on him for it. Allergies are awful this year around here, and we are dealing with the asthma cough for the first time in several years. Personally, I would call the doc.