Menu

BIG Math dilemma....advice?

blessedx5

I feel like Math for my 13yo ds has been a disaster this year

Against my better judgement he did Saxon 87 this year...... went ok for a while and then just became too much.....bogged him down terribly and he hated it. I was also questioning if we needed to go back and review some basic math due to some of his grades.

So...... that is what we did. Dropped Saxon.... went with Math mammoth. Well by doing this it really threw us behind I guess you could say. I have felt the pressure to finish a years math program in a matter of 6 months :001_huh: DS has mentioned a couple times that MM was too easy. Today he made certain I HEARD him...Mom I already know all this stuff....it's way too easy. So I goofed with MM. Now what do I do????? I have 3 options.....

One..... could drop a math program all together and work on some "living math"...... I have Family Math middle years book that I ordered and Kitchen Table math is due in the my mail box TODAY but I am not sure if that will cover his level of math

Two...... pick back up with saxon..... and try to finish it out (he's probably 80% done with it) even though it may be a struggle.

Three..... LEAST favorite option.... go with something else but honestly it's too late in the year to start much. I had planned on doing pre-algebra with him for 9th grade so we could start early and work slow????

Thoughts, advice??

Debbie

honestly I think he could breeze through ALL the MM level I got for him....

I am considering some LOF but not sure what to do. He has been working in the fractions books but says it's too easy. Should I jump to the pre-algebra book? Before Saxon he did Singpore but finished that. He did struggle a lot with CWP books so maybe we can work on that some as well.

Before moving on, what do you mean by Saxon being "too much?" Too difficult? Lessons taking too long?

If it's the length of a lesson spread it out over two days when necessary. I don't see a problem with that. Maybe say, "we're doing math for set period of time a day," and ask for an honest effort during that period of time. Pick it up the next day where it was left and start the timer again.

I'm not a fan of skipping problems in Saxon. Those that helped develop it were clear that is was designed expecting the completion of each and every problem. Each lesson presents just a handful of problems testing knowledge of the newest material. The rest review the past ten or more lessons. That provides variety.

If you have a choice at all, I'd try to get prealgebra done before 9th, as it is not a high school course. I'd do math through the summer if necessary. If he's nearly done with 8/7, that doesn't seem unrealistic, as my vague understanding is that 8/7 should be sufficient for prealgebra.

I agree with the BCM recommendation, which I'd probably start now rather than finishing Saxon 8/7. I'd do chapter reviews except for areas where he needs more extensive work. I would make sure the prealgebra chapters at the end of the book are finished before starting algebra (in other words, if you do BCM, don't fail to finish the book).

Alternatively, I'd finish 8/7, brushing up along the way with pieces from MM (or elsewhere) only if necessary to review basics. I love MM, but if it's really too easy then it's likely that he's wasting time (have you given him any tests? how about the MM6 end of year exam? If he can do the basic arithmetic from MM6 - meaning decimals, fractions, percents, etc. - the rest overlaps with prealgebra quite a bit, such as the data and probability). I'm no Saxon fan, but if he can get a solid grounding in elementary arithmetic/prealgebra sooner by simply finishing 8/7, I'd do that, and start algebra in 9th, rather than end up doing prealgebra in 9th.

However, I'd take great care to look closely at the problems he struggles with, to figure out what concepts might not be solid for him. That's a pain for you to do with Saxon, considering how it is organized, but I think it might be more efficient than starting over with something else. I think this is key, for you to be a part of the process topic by topic and understand where the issues lie, rather than looking at a curriculum (be it Saxon or MM or something else) as a black box, where you put him in a level and see how he comes out at the other end. IMO, that is the most effective way to remediate the problem areas and keep him at grade level to start algebra in 9th, and one of the best aspects of homeschooling.

If you do continue with Saxon and if he scores above 80% of the last five or six tests he should be ready for Algebra 1.

We do a lesson a day but I'm thinking of moving toward the timed lesson mentioned earler.

I like the idea of sticking with math through the summer. If a student is struggling at the end of the year, what can we expect after a couple months away from the subject. We don't shool year round but I've always felt that it's the right approach. More week-long breaks along the way.

Which edition of Saxon 8/7 are you using?

It is my understanding that the latest version includes Pre-Algebra. So, if you're using that version and he's getting 80% or better, he would go right into Algebra I.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Which edition of Saxon 8/7 are you using?

It is my understanding that the latest version includes Pre-Algebra. So, if you're using that version and he's getting 80% or better, he would go right into Algebra I.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

As I understand it, you are correct. 8/7 and Algebra 1/2 are the prep books. 8/7 includes more review of the concept covered in prior books but get the student where they need to be to move into Algebra 1.

I'd give him the placemene test for Teaching Textbooks and put him where he places.

I feel like Math for my 13yo ds has been a disaster this year

Against my better judgement he did Saxon 87 this year...... went ok for a while and then just became too much.....bogged him down terribly and he hated it. I was also questioning if we needed to go back and review some basic math due to some of his grades.

So...... that is what we did. Dropped Saxon.... went with Math mammoth. Well by doing this it really threw us behind I guess you could say. I have felt the pressure to finish a years math program in a matter of 6 months :001_huh: DS has mentioned a couple times that MM was too easy. Today he made certain I HEARD him...Mom I already know all this stuff....it's way too easy. So I goofed with MM. Now what do I do????? I have 3 options.....

One..... could drop a math program all together and work on some "living math"...... I have Family Math middle years book that I ordered and Kitchen Table math is due in the my mail box TODAY but I am not sure if that will cover his level of math

Two...... pick back up with saxon..... and try to finish it out (he's probably 80% done with it) even though it may be a struggle.

Three..... LEAST favorite option.... go with something else but honestly it's too late in the year to start much. I had planned on doing pre-algebra with him for 9th grade so we could start early and work slow????

Thoughts, advice??

Debbie