Menu

Craft idea needed for K-2nd, help please!

It's my turn to do the craft for our monthly group. They're ages K-2nd. We'll have about an hour. It's the last meeting for the year. It's gotta be inexpensive as the budget its my wallet.

I've though of making pinwheels.

But it just doesn't seem like it would take an hour.

My problem is that in the past I've done something that's too hard & takes too long (no sew fleece scarves) or something they whiz through and sit for the rest of the 45 minutes complaining (painting by blowing through straws).

I'm at a loss.

As it's the last meet up of the year, what if you did something to make a memory of the year... my first thought was maybe make little books and then they could all sign each other's and draw a little doodle, like a yearbook.

:iagree: My dd's ECFE class did something similar last year. Each person brought in pictures and decorated everything with paint, stickers, etc., and then the pages were laminated and "bound" with a metal ring. It was a lot of fun.

We made these brown paper bags scrapbooks with our girls scouts when they were young:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/405230@N20/

Just saw that you only have an hour. This might work if you make the scrapbooks and let them deorate with simple plain color scrap paper and stickers and then just let them start signing. =)

Edited by mom2denj

It's my turn to do the craft for our monthly group. They're ages K-2nd. We'll have about an hour. It's the last meeting for the year. It's gotta be inexpensive as the budget its my wallet.

I've though of making pinwheels.

But it just doesn't seem like it would take an hour.

My problem is that in the past I've done something that's too hard & takes too long (no sew fleece scarves) or something they whiz through and sit for the rest of the 45 minutes complaining (painting by blowing through straws).

I'm at a loss.

I like the pinwheel idea!

To make it take longer the kids could decorate the paper first (I think if front and back are different then both patterns show, kwim?) You could have the paper prepped with dots to color in on one side and stripes to color in on the other. Part of this could be a lesson on warm (red, orange, yellow) and cool colors (blue green purple)...I think it would look neat if one side was warm colors and the other was cool.

If needed you could have supplies on hand for each kid to make a second pinwheel.

Also, you could have some simple origami projects ready, just in case. "Hey since we have time let me show you how to make something else by folding paper".

hth