Menu

Math busywork

momma2three

How should DD work through Math Mammoth 1A?  

1. 1. How should DD work through Math Mammoth 1A?

• skip
    • meander
    • push
    • other

DD is working above grade level in math. We've been doing MEP, and though we're not very far along (Year 1) she definitely gets the math concepts that have been presented so far.

I bought Math Mammoth, and flipping through it I don't think there's anything in 1A that she can't do. 1B is mostly new to her.

She was initially excited for her new math workbook, but by about page 3 her interest was dragging. I suspect because it's easy and she's bored.

I think I know the answer, but I'm wondering what you would do.

1) let her skip 1A and move directly to 1B. Even if it means she'll miss some concepts.

2) let her meander through 1A. She is ahead in math, and there's no reason to rush things. When she's bored enough, and wants something simple to do, she'll pick it up.

3) encourage her to push through it quickly so we can get to the more interesting stuff that challenges her. I would not force her to do it, but I could strongly encourage/incentivize a quick trip through 1A in a way that would make her whine and be unhappy, but she would do it.

I would suggest you skip MM 1A. Maybe just do the word problems in it.

We were in a similar situation last year. When I presented MM, dd didn't like the busy layout. I started doing MEP Y1 with her and she enjoyed it. So we did MEP Y1, skipped MM Y1 altogether and are now in MM Y2.

Go to the concepts she has not learned, do those and move on. My son hates extra review of easy stuff. We still do it, but a few problems a day. If I want him to practice multi digit addition with regrouping we do 3-4 problems a day for a week along with new material. He has better retention that way too.

So, do the new stuff and do short reviews of topics you feel she needs more work on and move onto 1b. My son skipped all of level 1 of SM. We had never done a number bond, but he knew everything else. I taught him.number bonds in about 10 minutes and made up some problems to practice. 2 days and we were done.

I'd graze A for the concepts you think she'll need for B, and get that kid moving at an appropriate level of challenge. In my experience making them go through that much review will just put their math "fire" out.

That's exactly what I was worried about. She loves her workbooks (which is something I'll never understand, but I guess the world takes all types :tongue_smilie:) and I don't want to make her dread math.

Thanks guys, this is more or less what I was hoping the answer would be. I was just afraid that maybe if we skipped too much, somehow I was undermining the entire MM curriculum because she wouldn't get the grounding needed for later years. But I think I can spend a few days looking through the book and figure out what concepts she might not grasp as well as others.

I ended up doing much the same with 1A/1B in Singapore-my DD had done most of the concepts in PS K, since her teacher had given her Saxon math worksheets up to 2nd grade to keep her busy. We did both books in a very, very brief period of time, basically doing any pages DD thought looked "fun" and word problems, which were enough for me to check her understanding. She slowed down a little in 2a-3b, then speeded up again at 4a because a lot of the concepts started repeating and she was comfortable with them at that point.