Menu

AAS without the writing component

CrunchyGirl

DS learned to read on his own about a 18 months ago on his own (no phonics). He's a pretty good reader and reads on almost a 3rd grade level. We just started AAS1. He thinks it's fun. He learned the phonograms within a few days and today we got out the tiles and did part of lesson 3. He's doing really well, better than I expected. We stopped as soon as his attention span ran dry. No pushing or anything.

Here's the thing--he can't write--not even a single letter. I doubt we'll get writing down for at least 6 more months and maybe longer (he's not quite 5 y. yet).

Are we missing a critical component skipping the writing and dictation parts? I'd really like him to learn the phonograms even at this stage because he really wants to read bigger/more advanced books and it would really help. If anyone has a moment to ease my mind I'd appreciate it :001_smile:

If he is willing to do the lessons, I say go for it. Just have him do the work with the tiles. You can slowly add in the writing when his motor skills are up for it. (Skip the sentences. You can just add in dictation when he's ready for it. You will have much more flexibility then for quality sentences since he will be able to spell more words!)

I think the writing helps cement the rules they are learning -- and builds up their familiarization. However, if your son isn't up for it yet I wouldn't necessarily drop the program. I can see how it can still be utilized and he will still learn a lot. I would just recommend that when he is comfortable writing you can go back through the beginning and review all the material he's learned. It'll serve as a good refresher for him anyway depending on how far along he gets in AAS by that time.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the use for spelling if your child cannot write. Isn't that the point? Spelling and reading are different skills, so starting a spelling curriculum isn't necessary for teaching reading. If your child can read, let him read and read. Then you can spend your time teaching him how to form letters. Once mastered, then copywork and a spelling program would become useful.

My two oldest read early and were gobbling down chapter books by the time we started spelling in first grade. My daughter (just turned 5) can read CVC words well and practices writing her letters and copying simple words daily, but won't start spelling until she can write letters easily, probably about 1st grade too.

I didn't intend to sound harsh (in case I do), I just wanted to share my experience.

Edited to add: We use AAS too, and my son is in Level 5 and is just finishing up learning the hardest phonograms. So if you're using it to learn the phonograms, you'd probably be better off with a reading program like Phonics Pathways...or just have him ask you when he can't read something by himself.

Best of luck!

Edited by sleeplessnights

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the use for spelling if your child cannot write. Isn't that the point? Spelling and reading are different skills, so starting a spelling curriculum isn't necessary for teaching reading. If your child can read, let him read and read. Then you can spend your time teaching him how to form letters. Once mastered, then copywork and a spelling program would become useful.

:iagree:OG programs are structured with a purpose and I really think a lot is lost by not doing the writing in this particular program. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but definitely our experience. We started AAS 1, realized how much we were missing by not being able to write, and put it back on the shelf for another year. A year later ds was more than ready and it has gone swimmingly since then.

Your DS sounds similar to my DD. I have started to teach her letters for handwriting and we do write words, but it will be a while before she can write much. However she has needed to learn some spelling and that is because she types to her father on skype during the day - we made the font really big so she could read what he typed to her and of course she wants to reply so has learnt some basic spelling that way. I will not start a spelling programme til she is writing better, but if she continues the way she is on skype then she may not need a spelling programme by the time she is writing well.

Maybe you could teach him to type words if he is keen on learning spelling and do the handwriting separately?

I would not however use AAS to help with the reading as it seems it would take a while for him to get to the level he is already reading at - rather use another phonics programme or help him with the words he gets stuck on and point out any rules in context since he seems to learn reading naturally anyway.

You could have him use the letter tiles to do the dictation sentences but he'll find that very cumbersome after a while.

And I agree, the writing part helps cement those skills once they've learned to spell the words. It would be pointless to skip the dictation ( which is started in step 11), and sentences (which aren't started until the very end of Level 1 anyways) because they review old and new words to learn to spell.

I would stop the AAS and teach him to write his letters first. Then go back to it. If he's a quick learner then it shouldn't take you long to teach him to learn to write his alphabet.

I wouldn't be using the AAS with my 5yr old if she didn't know how to write her letters because the program wouldn't be as effective as it is now with her writing.

You could have him use the letter tiles to do the dictation sentences but he'll find that very cumbersome after a while.

You can't actually because there just aren't enough tiles. We did them orally at first and then switched to typing them on the computer. Ds had been picking letters out on the keyboard anyway so this was just a natural progression for us.

I do have to disagree with everyone that's saying that a child won't be able to utilize this program if s/he can't write. My ds is doing really well with it. His inability to use a pencil to write the phrases and sentences isn't affecting his ability to use and learn from the program. That's just our experience. I know different things work for different children/teachers.

Thank you everyone for the advice! My motivation isn't really spelling (although that's a nice bonus) but to help him with his phonics. He really wants to read more advanced books but because he taught himself to read by sight, he's pretty limited. Typing is a good idea though--I think he'd like that.

A complicating factor is that he has a mild neurological imbalance so he's academically advanced for his age (and picks up new material quickly) but some practical skills (like dressing himself) and some fine motor skills aren't quite there yet. He's being treated for it though and he's making progress. I just don't have a lot of faith he's going to learn to write anytime soon and I don't want to push it. But who knows, he surprises us everyday.

I will take a look at the other phonic programs mentioned. Maybe those would be better for now.

You could just focus on teaching him the remaining phonograms. It's only a piece of the puzzle but it might help him in jumping his reading level. Of course, he will need to be taught that words can be segmented into sounds if he has not made that discovery yet or the phonograms may not do him much good.

You could just focus on teaching him the remaining phonograms. It's only a piece of the puzzle but it might help him in jumping his reading level. Of course, he will need to be taught that words can be segmented into sounds if he has not made that discovery yet or the phonograms may not do him much good.

That's a good thought. I was surprised to find the other day that segmenting words is terribly easy for him. I am so puzzled how he never learned phonics but seems to have an intrinsic understanding of how they work.

IF you teach it as a reading program, then later go back as a spelling program then I think it can work. We're using it with the readers and it's working well.

Yes, if your purpose for now is to reinforce reading, you can use it for that. Teach the concept, and focus on reading the words and dictations. You can go through it pretty quickly that way.

You can go back through for spelling purposes later, when he would write the words and dictations.

Merry :-)