Menu

Saxon grammar

This is my son's second year using Saxon Grammar. Last year, we would start by going over the previous day's lesson and correcting errors. I really like how Saxon has the lesson number next to each problem. If an error was made and I felt he didn't understand it rather than it just being a careless mistake, we would go back to the lesson that was referenced and go over it to make sure he understood it for the next time. I feel this was a very important step for him.

Then, we would read through the new lesson for the day and do the example problems together. We also highlighted the main points of the lesson for easy future reference.

My son memorized everything Saxon recommended he memorize and we reviewed that once a week.

I also made sure he did grammar at least 4 days a week. There was so much new material presented last year, that if he took too much time off in between lessons, he wouldn't get enough practice on all the new concepts and he'd forget and start making lots of errors.

This year has been so much easier because the majority of what is being covered was already taught last year. He is now reading the lessons on his own and we just go over his errors each day and make corrections together. I also drill him on the memory work about once a month. Again, there wasn't nearly so much to memorize this year because he already did it last year.

Lisa

I read the lesson to my son. Then I have him try the *example* problems himself. If he's been paying attention, he can usually do these. Then I continue to sit there while he does the practice problems. Then I have him do the review set independently. Then I mark the ones he got wrong and he fixes them while I sit there. If he can't fix something, we discuss it.

This takes about 5-10 minutes for me to go over the lesson and another 5-10 minutes for me to correct his work and go over it with him. He takes 15-20 minutes to do the review set.

We do the dictation, vocabulary, and lesson/examples/practice together, out loud, discussing and making sure he understands everything. He does the exercises independently and then we correct them together out loud. We do grammar everyday because I think the built in repetition/review and daily routine help cement the information.

This is our second year using Saxon Grammar. My son likes it and he retains the material. I go over the lesson with him. As we go through the lesson, I have him do the examples, and then he does the practice and review problems on his own. When he's done I check it and we go over anything he misses.

It usually takes about 20 minutes for us to complete a lesson.

----

Kim

DS 11: Human Odyssey Vol 1, Saxon Math 8/7, Saxon Grammar 6, Vocab from Classical Roots, All About Spelling 6, Just finished CPO Earth

This program came out just when we finished FLL, and it was really a great next stage. . .

Anyway, I ditched the dictation early on and use the daily vocab words for dictation. Maybe I shouldn't have done so, but I have 2 kids in the 6th grade level right now--one dd who can do everything in her sleep, and one ds who struggles with pencil allergy. I then have them read the lesson aloud, we do the practice problems, then usually the first half of the review set verbally. The last 15 problems are done independently.