Menu

Painting decorating help.

This explaination could get long, so I will try to shorten it.

I have a sun porch, gets lots of sun, no heat, no a/c, we only use it in the spring and fall.

We have a wood sofa and chair with loose cushions I am recovering. ( I do ti every few years because of sun damage.)

We found a new formica table top that is very blonde in color. I don't really have chairs to match it but I am working wtih two metal banquet chairs that I thought I had 4 of but now only 2. Am on the hunt for something different.

In the mean time I need to paint the wood sofa, chair and side table . I bought some Sunbrella fabric in some coordinating rusty shades and I love them. ( I bought them thinking I had 4 chairs that matched and the fabric coordinates with them.)

We have an old base from previous table that is metal and DH is going to paint it.

Dilema. What color do I paint the sofa, chair, etc. Some shade of brown?

Do I paint the table legs a dark brown and hope that someday I find some chairs I can paint to match? Should the table legs and the sofa/chair be somewhat in teh same family and I ignore the metal chairs not matching for now? They will match the fabric on the sofa.

Would pictures help? I can take some tomorrow. It's too dark out there now.

Pictures would help a ton.

Is the Sunbrella fabric for the chairs or the sofa? What color is the back wall which I am guessing is the outside wall of your house? What is the color scheme of any adjoining rooms or any rooms which overlook the porch? What is the tone of the prints you have chosen for your fabric.

Personally, I like wood looking like wood. Is it possible to remove old paint and then stain the wood? Otherwise, I would go with an off white or beige, distress it, and then apply a darker stain over that. But it would depend on whether or not it would go with everything else in the room.

:)

Here are some pictures of the fabric draped over the couch.

the metal chair cushion is vinyl and is pretty close to the solid color fabric. The print and the solid will be throw pillows.

The room is a white metal with mostly windows. The wall attached to the house is currently white, but we will most likely paint that.

It comes off the dining room which has two tones of sage walls, lighter laminate floors, and oak dining room set.

Should I find a print for pillows with some dark brown in it? I am pretty sure they will be painted brown, and there will be no distressing. If DH gets it painted simply a solid color I will be happy. It's old hand me down stuff, and it's not worth a lot of effort at this point.

So back to my question of what color to paint the base of the table? Dark brown of some sort to "kind of " match the sofa and ignore the chairs for now? They are brown, but a lighter shade than I want to go with the sofa.

BTW..if you look closely, there is snow falling on my tulips behind the table top!

Even before I saw the pics, I was thinking how restful and cool a robin's egg blue (or a slightly darker light teal) would be with your light brown table top, giving it a farmhouse table effect. I would go a shade or two darker than the very lightest (pale) blue, to more closely match the teal blue in the cute sunbrella print on the pillows, then have a solid accent pillow or two in the same or almost the same shade. I'd also paint the outside house wall in the very lightest same-family shade, but just the wall within the sun porch. That will "cool" and "enlarge" your porch.

The table legs and the couch + armchair wood do not have to match, in fact, I would have them contrast. I would strip the old wood finish on the couch and arm-chairs(s), and then pick a shade you like in a warm medium/dark wood color and finish it with Minwax Polyshades, a combined stain and polyurethane. It is beautiful to see the lovely wood! Polyshades is easy to work: you keep adding coats until it is the shade you like, and your brushes clean up with mineral spirits. The urethane is impervious to weather and should last through several fabric changes. : ) (You can mix Polyshades colors to get exactly what you want: our favorite is 1 part maple to 2 parts pecan to give a warm medium brown.) That color would go nicely with your rust accent color, although it will not match, and it will be see-through to the grain, not opaque like your pillow fabric. It will also contrast beautifully, yet coordinate with your solid couch fabric, which I like very well.

I'd keep everything else to rust and teal/robin blue accent pieces. There are a lot of options in those color families out there right now. If you like birds, there is a lot of bird decor available now that would complete a theme, as well as a lot of rust-colored metal art, and beautiful blue rustic glassware and melamine pieces. (Target has a nice selection of summerware.)

(I can't believe I'm the one opining on this, but dd just finished redecorating her room, dragging me along on her "finding trips." It is lovely.)

Edited by Valerie(TX)

I love the pics... I'd go brown or a deep green to coordinate with the pillow. I love the fabric.

Here are some pictures of the fabric draped over the couch.

the metal chair cushion is vinyl and is pretty close to the solid color fabric. The print and the solid will be throw pillows.

The room is a white metal with mostly windows. The wall attached to the house is currently white, but we will most likely paint that.

It comes off the dining room which has two tones of sage walls, lighter laminate floors, and oak dining room set.

Should I find a print for pillows with some dark brown in it? I am pretty sure they will be painted brown, and there will be no distressing. If DH gets it painted simply a solid color I will be happy. It's old hand me down stuff, and it's not worth a lot of effort at this point.

So back to my question of what color to paint the base of the table? Dark brown of some sort to "kind of " match the sofa and ignore the chairs for now? They are brown, but a lighter shade than I want to go with the sofa.

BTW..if you look closely, there is snow falling on my tulips behind the table top!

I love color, so....

Why not go with a pretty color instead of brown? Real wood is one thing, but if the wood is the problem, grab a paint can.

My porch swing is a lovely purple call Plum by Behr paints (Home Depot) It's charming, refreshing, and pretty. You don't have to use purple...pull out a color (or three) from the fabric and paint. Deep foresty green always looks good outdoors. So does summery yellow. I think blue might be wonderful. For that matter, a creamy white is an outdoor classic color.

I've seen groupings where everything was a different bright color...rather Mexican fiesta looking. Only the cushions were coordinating to pull it all together.

Anything I paint outside gets coated with a good exterior paint--a couple of coats--with good surface prep first. It will last for three or four years before needing a touch up if it's in the sun, longer if it's in the shade.

Grab a paint brush. If you don't like the finished project, paint over it. I love paint!