Menu

Need Curriculum Ideas......PLEASE

JackiB

Hi friends. I'm in need of some help here. :confused: I am having trouble trying to figure out what to do for my 5th grade DS and my 2nd grade DS for the 2012-2013 school term (I use that loosely). My 5th grader is a fantastic reader while my 2nd grader struggles. We used SL readers this year. My older son would finish the books in one sitting. They love Science but the gap in their ages is not making it easy to combine. We used Beautiful Feet for History which was fun, but I'm not feeling it for this year. I'm so lost in all areas and just can't find the right path to even begin. This is our third year homeschooling but I feel more lost than I did year one. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. :bigear:

Have you read the Well-Trained Mind? You can probably find it at the library. Even if you don't end up wanting to homeschool classically, I think it is invaluable in helping to see the big picture, and it has suggestions for every subject, for every age range. That is where I would start (full disclosure - it is where I did start! ;) and though I don't follow it in everything, it was the best possible starting point for me.)

Seconding WTM for suggestions. If you are young earth, you could combine them in Apologia Science.

Or, just get some kits and do a nature study journal with both, and read library books to round out science.

You could definitely combine for this year in History with SOTW. Have your older one add in reading and little, one page research papers from time to time on topics that he wants to go deeper into. You can use the Activity Guide.

Seconding WTM for suggestions. If you are young earth, you could combine them in Apologia Science.

Or, just get some kits and do a nature study journal with both, and read library books to round out science.

You could definitely combine for this year in History with SOTW. Have your older one add in reading and little, one page research papers from time to time on topics that he wants to go deeper into. You can use the Activity Guide.

:iagree: I was going to say that it's very hard to combine with a three year difference, but Chris in VA's advice would work. Also, you mentioned SL and Beatiful Feet - what time periods have you covered? This might be a good time to go back and start with Ancients with SOTW 1. Give your older one extra reading and writing, etc. I think it's very normal for one dc to be a strong reader and another to be stronger in some other way. So far only one of mine goes around with his nose in a book 24/7. As Chris said, the Activity Guide would give you reading suggestions beginners and for olders.

Language Arts: CLE, Rod and Staff, Writing with Ease, Queen's Language Lessons, The Sentence Family

Math: Math Mammoth, Singapore, CLE

Science: Let's Read and Find Out books for your younger, Apologia for your older

History: A Child's History of the World

Complete packaged curriculum: Heart of Dakota (lit-based/Charlotte Mason), Memoria Press (Classical), Timberdoodle (Mixed).

For Mom I recommend Ruth Beechick's books and Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss.