Menu

THoughts on Writing Strands- Any users?

titianmom

Hi all,

I'll be using WS for the first time this year. We're starting at level 4. I considered 3, but she writes pretty well, already. Does it really matter?

PS: Gotta come up with new threads, I need 50 posts so that I can sell some history curriculum, LOL. I think the 50 post limit is a bit silly, but rules are rules, I suppose.

(The question on WS is legit, don't worry ;)

Kim

We tried it, using the early levels (began at 2, I think). Perhaps it was just too simplistic for my ds at the time (describe a pencil - it is yellow, it is long). I don't want to slam a curriculum, but it just did not work for us. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, but there are just as many people who LOVE it. Hopefully, they will post here for you so you can get some other feedback.

Diane

I used Writing Strands for a very short period of time with my boys before I switched to Imitations in Writing. Once the workbook and IG came out for CW, I moved to that program, and I plan to stay there until we finish the series.

I was not impressed with Writing Strands. The assignments were arbitrary; the one I distinctly remember and despise was the assignment instructing the child to describe a pencil. It taught a little arrangement and style, but no process was given for invention. It definitely uses the modern writing approach.

What I really like about CW is that their approach uses the classical Greek progymnasmata (preliminary rhetorical exercises). Classical rhetoric is divided into 5 parts: invention, arrangement, style, memory, and delivery. The progynmasmata exercises familiarize the students with these elements of rhetoric. CW teaches these exercises through theory, analysis & imitation, and practice. There is just so much more depth in the writing instruction through CW in my opinion.

Based on SWB's recommendation I've tried Writing Strands two or three different times. Each time I've hated it. I don't feel it gives nearly enough instruction, at least in levels 3 and 4. If you're inclined to write, I think it would be a fine program. But for the child who struggles, or dislikes writing, or for the parent who is not confident in teaching writing, I don't think it offers enough concrete guidance. At least, it did not for us.

CW Aesop A drop-out here. I loved the concept of CW, still do, but the implementation was terrible. My son hated the rewriting of stories - it was like pulling teeth to get him to write. He hates writing now, and he liked it before.

I'm probably the only one here who read all the negative reviews of Writing Strands and still bought it. We're starting with level 3 with both boys only because we have taken a year off to recover from CW.

Hopefully, we'll be one of the few who succeed with WS. I just want mine writing.... something. I can tweek style and content as we go.

Good luck,

~Lisa

We really did not like Writing Strands at the level 3. I know SWB used it at higher levels and liked it so it might get better. But we really did not like Level 3. It was very brusk in its presentation and "spoke" in a way we would consider rude in our home.

We used the upper levels with our eldest (now 18) and she liked the exercises on voice and such. It is hard to remember now! We never used it as directed in the text, we always did 1 week as a lesson or perhaps 2 for an involved lesson. We also changed things and tied it into our other work. My 11 year old does not like it. Both girls like writing, but somehow my eldest got something very different out of WS. Looking for other options for the 11 y.o. I think the older one basically had the structure of writing down and so used WS as small hints or suggestions to tweak what she had in various areas, where as my younger one needs a more definite plan and needs to see how it links together...

TFJ

I used Writing Strands with my older son. We started with level 3 and went through both 3 and 4 the first year, then moved on to one level a year until we'd finished the whole series. I have level 3 to use with my younger son, too, perhaps beginning in fifth next year.

I can't tell you if it will matter. I guess I can only suggest that if you start with level 4 and it seems too difficult, then maybe you backtrack to level 3.

We have used 2 and 3, and will be using 4 next year for 5th grade. My dd is a little "too" creative, so it was very helpful to have her options limited a little bit. She can write whatever she likes at other times (currently hiding out in her room writing a play), but she also has needed guidance in following directions. Unlike some other posters, I liked the voice - talking to the child as if having a conversation with someone on the same level, not talking down as a master to a student. I loved the beginning of book 3 that asks her to start following directions, on her own, and come to her teacher when she is finished.

The other thing I like about it is that it goes really nicely with a schedule much like K12, in which they do 3 weeks or so of vocabulary and grammar, then a week of writing. The lessons are broken down into about 5 days of work, then you give them a week or more to let it "sink in." I noticed that dd's writing in the in between weeks (say, with SOTW outlines or paragraphs) did indeed improve.

Thanks to all for your input. Hmmm....well, we read the first few pages and like what we saw. Only time will tell, I guess.

She especially liked his comment that he named his dog ,"Dog". She laughed and laughed over that one. She's 11, :) She went around the house calling, "Here, dog! Here, dog!" Sheesh.

Kim