Menu

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, what's it like there?

Job invitation thing, come check us out deal. I think it's the Mercedes plant, not sure. Sounds like it's right in the city though.

Checked the HS laws, it's umbrella connection via a non profit religious, no big deal.

I haven't looked at housing costs yet.

Anything I want to study up on? Crime, culture, whatever? What would be the biggest pro/cons to a move there?

Tuscaloosa is a great city to live in! I went to grad school at U of A...it's definitely a college football town. The Mercedes plant is in Vance which is outside of Tuscaloosa a few miles. Northport is another city that is right outside of T'town that has a lot of subdivisions. There is a pretty big H'schooling community in the area.

Tuscaloosa was hit hard back in April by tornadoes, so there is still a lot of rebuilding going on. Birmingham is less than an hour away, so you are surrounded by fun things to do.

If you move there, you will need to add some crimson and houndstooth to your wardrobe and get used to hearing "Roll Tide" A LOT!!!!

I'm embarrassingly in LOVE with football.

I scare the men, lol.

But it has to be COLLEGE football. I'm a huge NFL fan but don't care much for college football. I'd stick out like a sore thumb in Tuscaloosa, just like I do a couple hours west in Oxford (MS, near my hometown).

Best wishes on your decision.

My brother and his wife live in Tuscaloosa and owns one of the Chick fil A's. They like it and I like it when I visit. I like its proximity to Birmingham, Huntsville and Montgomery. It's also a very easy trip to Nashville and Atlanta.

Don't let the inexpensive housing bother you. It's always been inexpensive compared to many areas of the country. Comparatively any drops in value were tiny to the majority of the country.