Menu

What booklists do you use as a guide for your own reading material?

My new favorite list is the one in Drew's/Plaid Dad's new book (LCC2). He has a great chapter on self-education and breaks a plan down into several component parts (classical languages, foundations, etc). Really good stuff.

My previous favorite was Christine Miller's 100 Great Books list at http://www.classical-homeschooling.org--but it can be a bit overwhelming. :tongue_smilie:

Layla McB

though obviously the idea is that that is where your self education is leading you, KWIM? So for example he even suggests getting back to the basics by beefing up those study skills with Adler/Van Doren's How to Read a Book (which, until last week, I must admit I never got around to reading). He also has art and music and math and science and Great Books "brush up" suggestions.

But of most value to me are his "classical ed 101," foundations, and classical languages suggestions, and, pulling from another part of LCC2, his high school-level reading lists in church history. Wow--I SO never read any of that stuff.

Layla McB

Guest ascamom

Believe it or not, the author of "Honey for a Child's Heart", Gladys Hunt, also has a book out titled "Honey for a Woman's Heart". It has chapters for different genres of literature with her own suggestions as well as suggestions from other well-known people. I like it to give me ideas for something different to read.

I love Honey for a Child's Heart, but for some reason the Honey for a Woman's Heart never interested me until a friend highly recommended it. I read it and loved it! I felt as if I was part of a book club made up of incredible women when I was reading. The book recommendations are woven into the book more than in Child's Heart, and I loved the conversational tone of Woman's Heart. Excellent recommendations spanning many genres. Definitely varied. Honey for a Woman's Heart is now one of my favorite recommendations. :)

Is there a Honey For An Adult's Heart - LOL? I have lists galore for the kids and get 50 books a week for them, but what about me?

Yes! Honey for a Womans Heart!

I need to pull it out again.

I also use Book Lust for ideas and homeschool boards are usually where I get the best recommendations.

and whatever looks good when I go to the library (which is often).

Does anyone else browse the "to be shelved" racks/ carts??? For some reason I always think "It must be good if someone checked it out recently!" I have only been disappointed twice.

Is there a Honey For An Adult's Heart - LOL? I have lists galore for the kids and get 50 books a week for them, but what about me?

I read articles and book reviews in The Economist and National Review and get a lot of those from the library. I found Thomas Sowell this way and have been enjoying his books like Basic Economics, The Vision of the Annointed and Inside Education. I also found Last Child in the Woods by Louv and The Wonder of Boys by Michael Gurian this way.

I will often go right from reading an article or book review to either reserving the book or putting it into a wish list on my library account.

Generally, I read from these categories: books I think I might want the kids to read someday, books for entertainment purposes, and books bloggers with similar interests recommend.

For entertainment reading, I like the recommendations in the Chinaberry catalog. I haven't picked up any this year yet. Instead I'm working through my fourth book in a row that a close friend, or business acquaintance, has written. I would never, ever pick up books like this, except that my friends wrote them. It's been broadening. I think I might start using a more random method than the Chinaberry catalog because I've been enjoying these explorations into the unfamiliar.