Menu

A little nervous about beginning to homeschool.

leeannpal

For almost a year, I've known that I would homeschool beginning in 2012. At first, we thought we would be heading to China this July, but, for several reasons, we wn't be leaving until summer of 2013. Nevertheless, we are moving forward with our homeschool plans beginning in late June 2012 (I want to homeschool year round). It has just recently hit me that it is only about 2 months away! My daughter and I are both excited, but I'm also feeling a little overwhelmed. As a veteran homeschool parent, what advice would you give me about beginning the hmeschooling journey?:bigear:

For almost a year, I've known that I would homeschool beginning in 2012. At first, we thought we would be heading to China this July, but, for several reasons, we wn't be leaving until summer of 2013. Nevertheless, we are moving forward with our homeschool plans beginning in late June 2012 (I want to homeschool year round). It has just recently hit me that it is only about 2 months away! My daughter and I are both excited, but I'm also feeling a little overwhelmed. As a veteran homeschool parent, what advice would you give me about beginning the hmeschooling journey?:bigear:

Enjoy yourselves! Learning is supposed to be fun! And remember that a little bit, on a lot of days, adds up.

Good luck!

Well, I wouldn't call myself a veteran as my son is only 6, but I can tell you that once you start, you realize it's not so scary and that you are perfectly capable. In fact, I think it's a lot of fun. :001_smile:

Oh and it did take me about 6 months to add in all our subjects to the rotation and find my groove. Be patient and kind to yourself as you figure out what does and does not work for you guys. Like I said, it's not really all that scary once you get started.

Edited by meggie

I wouldn't consider myself a veteran, either. I just started homeschooling my 2 DC in February, but I've found that researching and planning was a LOT more overwhelming than actually doing. The hard part is deciding on how you want to do it and what resources (curricula) you want to use.

Good luck! And have fun!

We're finishing our 5th year homeschooling, and in some ways I consider myself a veteran, in other ways I still have LOTS to learn!

The biggest piece of advice is to choose your curriculum to get started, then decide how long you're going to stick with it. Evaluate as you go - what's working, what's not working, what needs to be tweaked. You are NOT a homeschooling "failure" if the fist curriculum you pick doesn't work perfectly for you, your children, or your family!

I think it's wonderful that you'll have an extra year before moving overseas, because if that gives you time to find your groove and see what works, it will be easier to make adjustments if moving overseas means paying a lot more for shipping curriculum.

You didn't mention how old your DD is, but if she's been in public or private school she may need some "deschooling" time before adjusting to the new routine at home.

Enjoy yourselves! Learning is supposed to be fun! And remember that a little bit, on a lot of days, adds up.

:iagree:

it is always 'work in progress'. There is never a perfect and/or only way. Just get started and enjoy the amazing changes that follow.

:iagree:

My advice: don't get too caught up in homeschooling theories - see this thread. Go with your instincts, and pay attention to how you feel best teaching, and how your dd feels best learning. Remember that learning is a journey, not a destination.

And start small. You can always add in more as you go and get used to it, but overwhelming yourself right off the bat can be detrimental. Start with the basics - math and language arts. Add in some good books. Then you can worry about science, history, and all the rest!

I can't believe it- we're in our 7th year of homeschooling! I truly love it Except on the bad days, then I don't love it so much.;) Basically, homeschooling like, anything else worthwhile, is a lot of work. And VERY rewarding! I think it's good that you are a little nervous. It shows how much you care to do it right. Just remember why you are doing it and to have fun!:001_smile:

Give yourself and your children a lot of grace. It is a learning experience for everyone. And remember it is not "school at home," so don't try to re-create what the public or Christian/private schools are doing. And while it's wonderful to get advice and help from others, don't COMPARE yourself or your kids to others!

I'm in my twelfth year of homeschooling. Previous posters have given advice I wholeheartedly agree with.

Enjoy this time. It is very special when you are getting started. I compare it to the first baby...... You will never have another opportunity to have that special time homeschooling your first child. It's all good, but I am just encouraging you to cherish this time and not get too caught up in planning the perfect curriculum, or schedule, or to spend a lot of time on philosophies.

Good books, lots of lap time, outdoor exploration, crafts, phonics, math, just the basics. Keep reminding yourself how much your child is learning and treasure the experience.

The most important advice that I ignored when I started was to start slowly. Start with one or two subjects and add then add others in one or two at a time. I tried to to do everything all at once, and I had planned too much (a very common occurrence). The second year, I tried staggering my start dates, and it worked so well, I did that again this year.

We live in China :001_smile:. I just want to say that it is a great idea to get a year of homeschooling under your belt before you make the move and have to deal with so many other transitions at the same time. We've seen families move here with several kids who have never homeschooled before, and its really hard to do that for the first time along with learning the language, culture, figuring out how to cook, shop, etc.

Make the most of your last year before you go!