Menu

I need encouragement

Someone tell me I can do this. It's headed towards midnight and I'm on my last nerve learning some math stuff.

Half of me says, "To heck with this, outsource." Half of me says, "This is nothing, you can handle it."

I'm really sitting on that line tonight, someone tell me a story about marching on and getting it done.

:boxing_smiley:

I keep telling myself this will come in handy for my attempt similar to the one on perfectscore. I'd like to do that just for ME one day and see how close I can get.

That kid is about driving me up the wall with her tricky sneaky ways. I'm just going to resolve myself to being the red pen carrier if I have the answer keys. I have no idea how she's doing what she's doing; and I can learn it, just not as fast as she can is all. I have no idea how she's doing this.

For two days now she's been in "her" math land and I'm really kinda going :001_huh: - we need to get out of there and into something Mom knows for a while...but then on the other hand, she wants to work on them, so I can't exactly tell her no!no!no! this stresses your mother out, back to English, lol.

What's even more ironic, is I'm having her work for 3 benchmark tests, 2 of them which are strictly PS level survey types, the Stanford she's not done before so I figure whatever it turns out as is what it is. I could care less what the results are honestly on any of them. The only value to me is that a hardcore not-from-mom score carries a lot of weight with the Darling.

He gets frigidity and says, "Well, what if she fails the third grade?" :willy_nilly:

Go ahead, laugh. Really.

You can do it!

Or, if you can't, there are super awesome helps, videos, etc. Can you really picture me teaching R calculus? Not. Happening. But Chalkdust videos plus a good text will be my friend when we get to that point. Even Logic II, at this point I'm merely the drone reading the answer key. If the children have an issue with it, I have to hand them the answer key and have them figure out the discrepancy on their own. SAT Math? SAT Math video course, baby. Khan Academy. EPGY.

The key is, not always do you provide the instruction. Sometimes you coordinate it. Sometimes that does mean hiring an individual tutor who is expert in a specific subject (like I do with Koine Greek). But the cool thing is that ultimately you are in control.

P.S. If you come to the conclusion that you'd like one-on-one tutoring for math, I can probably give you a couple of names to investigate.

Edited by WTMCassandra

khan academy is the debbil

They make it too easy to explore math, bad khan. BAD

Watching some Chalkdust now, this is pretty good stuff, he sounds like a friendly minister.

http://www.chalkdust.com/geom.html :001_smile:

Thanks for the offer on connecting - I wouldn't even know where to look.

edit: you know, this is really weird...but there is *something* to chalkdust I love..and that's the sound of the chalkboard-the literal tapping of chalk on the board is REALLY cool! :001_wub: Go listen to one, it's pretty cool!

Edited by one*mom

Every weekend, it takes me 4 hours to re-learn that week's math and get through all the challengers. I never learned math at the AoPS level of difficulty! My focus in my previous life was statistics, so I will be glad when we get to probability. Hopefully, I will get a small break!

I figure all this study must be good for my brain. If you don't use it, you lose it.

Ruth in NZ

Oh Ruth, that's such a good point! In my former life I was an analyst and will probably be happier when we hit mutual like areas.

I never thought of that!

We sorta took the day today and did overview practice aimed at her expected age/grade fluency. At least I can flop a bunch of completed workbooks on the table as proof she's not going to held back...

:glare:

Just a bunch of feeding the machine around here. Yum Yum.

Happy now? (Sarcasm font needed)