Menu

Help/Suggestions with Phonics and Readers?!

Guest xap

Guest Xapis10

I'm looking to teach fairly pure phonics, and I don't want to use a "consonant-vowel" method. I really want to incorporate Bible verses or phrases into it as soon as possible. (I'm thinking basically right now, since my son already reads cvc short-vowel words) I looked at Noah Plan for this, but I'm not ready for something that seems so overwhelming and requires so much prep (especially since we're ready to take off with reading quickly here). (I also don't know if the Noah Plan philosophy is right for us, but that's probably another matter).

So here is my current idea: teach phonics rules with maybe Alpha-phonics or Eagles Wings Comp. HB of Phonics and Spelling, and then create my own Bible phrase/verse booklet, with space to add more later (like memory verses/passages etc). I still would want to have some vocabulary-controlled readers to supplement this. I love the idea of Bible stories in "Early Readers" (AO), but they seem to progress fairly fast? (not lots of words, but introducing "walk" in the second book or so?) So would "Christ Centered Phonics" readers be better? Is there a good Christian set of readers that is correct in its phonetic progression, or would I have to go with something secular like Primary Phonics Storybooks for that?

Idea number 2 would be to go with First Start Reading (MP) so that I probably wouldn't need readers (especially with making the Bible booklet). Is this a solid phonics program?

I would love to hear opinions on the phonics programs and readers I mentioned, or on others that you love, which might fit what I'm describing :001_smile:. Oh, and I'm new to all this, so if you can avoid acronyms for curricula, that would help me!

Edited by Xapis10

I still would want to have some vocabulary-controlled readers to supplement this.

I'm not familiar with the programs you have mentioned, so I can't help there. But there's boatloads of phonics readers out there... if you want something with a Christian-specific focus:

MFW 1st has a bible story reader that is a part of their phonics program. Might be worth looking into.

Rod & Staff has a set of readers in their 1st grade that are Bible based.

I have CLP (Christian Liberty Press) phonics readers (K) and while they show people going to church, etc, they are just basic readers that follow a phonics progression.

A Reason for...Reading has readers that are Bible stories.

One of the things I am planning to use with my upcoming 1st grader is the Begin-to-Read Bible (Karyn Henley)... I'm sure I'm butchering the title of the Bible and the author's name terribly, but I'm too lazy to go google right now. Anyway, it's a Bible for beginning readers, separated into daily passages. So far, from looking at it, I'm pretty pleased. We probably won't start it til mid-year, though. My DD is still reading CVC words only.

Edited by alisoncooks

My vote would be to choose a reading/phonics curriculum based on how well it teaches reading. Look for something that will work for your child's learning style and will be well laid out for you as the teacher. If you are reading and discussing Bible with him daily, it doesn't need to be in his phonics curriculum, though you can certainly add on the booklets on the side and incorporate Bible in that way. It's hard to find controlled phonics Bible readers. We had some called Rocket Readers (but there is another company that uses that name too though) that were nice, but there weren't that many of them. I've really not seen a lot out there (and as you noted, they either quickly advance or throw in lots of "sight" words early on) and I'd much rather use readers and a program that I like, and then read great Bible stuff to my kids. You'll have more options that way. It's hard to tell ANY story with controlled phonics, and it's hard to tell a Bible story in a way that you'd like with them. Get him reading and then you'll have more options.

Merry :-)

I'm with Merry. Most Bibles, even those for early readers like the NIrV (even storybooks like the Beginner's Bible) use words from all over the spectrum as far as phonetic organization goes. I was pretty much unable to find phonetically regular Bible-based materials. Oh, hmm, I did see some readers at Christianbook, but they weren't scripture, just stories - I think they are printed by AoP?

Pick a good phonics program that teaches rules followed by some sort of reader or story to practice that new rule/phonogram. Once independent reading is established then you can start having Bible as a daily reading time.

Guest Xapis10

Thanks for the thoughts so far!

I see some of you are using All About Reading/Spelling - feel free to tell me about that one (and maybe how it compares to Alpha-Phonics etc?). Are there stories/readers with AAS? What readers do you like? In a secular reader, I'd be looking for better pictures than Explode the Code, pictures that don't distract, and then some neutral stories that wouldn't raise eyebrows for a Christian mom, or need explanation (ghosts come to mind as an example, although I know that word wouldn't be coming up very early).

Edited by Xapis10

Guest Xapis10
We had some called Rocket Readers (but there is another company that uses that name too though) that were nice, but there weren't that many of them.

Merry :-)

Merry, were these readers by Heather Gemmen?

Guest Xapis10
I was pretty much unable to find phonetically regular Bible-based materials. Oh, hmm, I did see some readers at Christianbook, but they weren't scripture, just stories - I think they are printed by AoP?

I read that Alpha Omega has readers that the teacher is supposed to read to the student, so I assumed that these were not really phonetically progressive. Do you think you saw something different? Thanks :)

I would also rather go for a phonics program that is good rather than Bible-based (unless of course you find one that is both) The problem I found was that in order to tell a Bible story meaningfully you need a LOT of words that are much further along in the phonics progression. My DD is an advanced reader and started reading The Beginner's Bible earlier this year - having had a good foundation in Bible stories through me reading them to her she is able to read it with a bit of help. (like reading pharoah and Nebuchudnezzer - not sure how to spell that even) She started reading cvc words just over a year ago so with a good phonics program you can get your child reading more advanced Bible stories very quickly (within a couple of years) It may seem like it will take long now, but actually the time flies.

I'm looking to teach fairly pure phonics, and I don't want to use a "consonant-vowel" method. I really want to incorporate Bible verses or phrases into it as soon as possible. (I'm thinking basically right now, since my son already reads cvc short-vowel words) I looked at Noah Plan for this, but I'm not ready for something that seems so overwhelming and requires so much prep (especially since we're ready to take off with reading quickly here). (I also don't know if the Noah Plan philosophy is right for us, but that's probably another matter).

So here is my current idea: teach phonics rules with maybe Alpha-phonics or Eagles Wings Comp. HB of Phonics and Spelling, and then create my own Bible phrase/verse booklet, with space to add more later (like memory verses/passages etc). I still would want to have some vocabulary-controlled readers to supplement this. I love the idea of Bible stories in "Early Readers" (AO), but they seem to progress fairly fast? (not lots of words, but introducing "walk" in the second book or so?) So would "Christ Centered Phonics" readers be better? Is there a good Christian set of readers that is correct in its phonetic progression, or would I have to go with something secular like Primary Phonics Storybooks for that?

Idea number 2 would be to go with First Start Reading (MP) so that I probably wouldn't need readers (especially with making the Bible booklet). Is this a solid phonics program?

I would love to hear opinions on the phonics programs and readers I mentioned, or on others that you love, which might fit what I'm describing :001_smile:. Oh, and I'm new to all this, so if you can avoid acronyms for curricula, that would help me!

I am fairly new to homeschooling as well so please take my advice with that in mind.

I have a young beginning reader who can read some CVC words. We are working through Adventures in Phonics Level A from Christian Liberty Press. (I am just using the workbook). I also have the Kindergarten phonics readers that go with that. I like them very much so far but we just started. They are easy and my son likes doing them. They don't specifically mention God in the first one but show pictures of the famly going to church with Bibles, a story about helping, being helpful, etc.

The Noah Plan recommends using "A Writing Road to Reading" which is a very good resource. There is a ton of information on these boards to do this program. I am planning on using a program based off of it called "Spell to Write and Read" as this is what I have. But, it is a little too much for right now so I plan on using it in the future.

There is a beginning reader set by Apologetics Press that I like quite well and discusses how God made everything. I have Level 1 and it contains easy words. It does have some odd pictures (like big pictures of animals mixed with a cartoon picture of an animal) but my two oldest sons really like them. I wish that they could make an easy reader with lovely illustrations and that is honoring to God. Sigh...If you find something like this let me know!!!

I too desire for my sons to be able to read a Bible or verses. What I do is read a verse or section from a Bible story book to him and have him read the words that he can. He gets the practice and learns to "hide God's Word in his heart"!

For memory verses work, right now we are using the ABC Memory Book by Scripture Memory Fellowship. I also tape memory verses up in their room and we go over them every night. This has worked very well in our family. I really like it a lot and my two year old son has even memorized some from the ABC book. We also use My First Book of Questions and Answers by Carine Mackenzie.

I don't know if this helps but we are liking using these programs now.

Guest Xapis10
Webster's contains Bible verses and such, doesn't it?

Rosie

Just started diving into Webster's tonight, and I did find some! (thanks!) Also liking some of the reviews etc. for it. I'm hopeful about it, although I'm wondering how it will go with my wiggly 5 yr. old son. I'm still wondering about First Start Reading....

Just started diving into Webster's tonight, and I did find some! (thanks!) Also liking some of the reviews etc. for it. I'm hopeful about it, although I'm wondering how it will go with my wiggly 5 yr. old son.

In small doses? ;)

Have a look at ElizabethB's phonics page and this thread if you haven't already. She's teaching her wiggly boy to read too.

:)

Rosie

Thanks for the thoughts so far!

I see some of you are using All About Reading/Spelling - feel free to tell me about that one (and maybe how it compares to Alpha-Phonics etc?). Are there stories/readers with AAS? What readers do you like? In a secular reader, I'd be looking for better pictures than Explode the Code, pictures that don't distract, and then some neutral stories that wouldn't raise eyebrows for a Christian mom, or need explanation (ghosts come to mind as an example, although I know that word wouldn't be coming up very early).

AAS/AAR have great illustrations (though not colorful) they are subdued, line drawings, professional quality - very nice.

No controversial content at all - sweet straight forward stories in their readers. But the readers are part of AAR not AAS per say (though they do coordinate as well.

I read that Alpha Omega has readers that the teacher is supposed to read to the student, so I assumed that these were not really phonetically progressive. Do you think you saw something different? Thanks :)

Well, I don't know how AOP says you are supposed to use these, but they LOOK phonetically progressive to me. There are 3 sets that increase in difficulty.

Here is the first set, but it links to the next two sets as well.

These are really the only Bible story-based phonetically progressive readers I've ever seen. I don't own them though, so if others have, please chime in!

Guest Xapis10

I have a young beginning reader who can read some CVC words. We are working through Adventures in Phonics Level A from Christian Liberty Press. (I am just using the workbook). I also have the Kindergarten phonics readers that go with that. I like them very much so far but we just started. They are easy and my son likes doing them. They don't specifically mention God in the first one but show pictures of the famly going to church with Bibles, a story about helping, being helpful, etc.

The Noah Plan recommends using "A Writing Road to Reading" which is a very good resource. There is a ton of information on these boards to do this program. I am planning on using a program based off of it called "Spell to Write and Read" as this is what I have. But, it is a little too much for right now so I plan on using it in the future.

There is a beginning reader set by Apologetics Press that I like quite well and discusses how God made everything. I have Level 1 and it contains easy words. It does have some odd pictures (like big pictures of animals mixed with a cartoon picture of an animal) but my two oldest sons really like them. I wish that they could make an easy reader with lovely illustrations and that is honoring to God. Sigh...If you find something like this let me know!!!

I too desire for my sons to be able to read a Bible or verses. What I do is read a verse or section from a Bible story book to him and have him read the words that he can. He gets the practice and learns to "hide God's Word in his heart"!

For memory verses work, right now we are using the ABC Memory Book by Scripture Memory Fellowship. I also tape memory verses up in their room and we go over them every night. This has worked very well in our family. I really like it a lot and my two year old son has even memorized some from the ABC book. We also use My First Book of Questions and Answers by Carine Mackenzie.

I don't know if this helps but we are liking using these programs now.

Thanks for your input! Are the Apologetics Press Readers starting out very simple (like CVC words)? Or are they including sight words?

Thanks again everyone!!