Menu

The Story of King Arthur and his Knights by Howard Pyle

This is scheduled to be read for history next year (7th grade). It is 313 pages long. I suspect that there will be resistance from ds due to the length of the book. It seems to have 2 parts: The Book of King Arthur and The Book of Three Worthies.

If your student read this book, did they read it in its entirety? I see that the library has another version that is 192 pages. I presume this is just the first book.

Thanks!

Part 1 is the traditional (give or take) King Arthur story, and Part 2 focuses on the continuing stories of Merlin, Sir Pellias, and finally Sir Gawaine. Obviously Part 1 feels more like a continuing narrative and has a tight focus, and it is the traditional story that we all know and love. I had to push myself to get into Part 2, but I did very much enjoy the others' stories once I pushed ahead.

HTH!

Layla McB

King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table by Roger Lancet Green. Green writes good stuff, but besides that, he was a student of and then a peer of C. S. Lewis. That sells me anyday! :) Plus, there are some really good literatures guides out there to enhance the reading.

Maybe this would be another possibility. It is ~350 pp but will captivate the reader early on. My students who read it this past year continued to tell me well after we had moved on what a great book it was.

We read The Story of King Arthur and His Knights for Co-op last year. I was surprised at how little it actually dealt with King Arthur. As Layla mentioned, the first part is the King Arthur story and the second is about other characters. Most of my class did not finish it (we are a small co-op and last year this class was just "extra" not for grades or credit). Those of us who usually like the older language and style of writing found ourselves laboring through. The kids who were already turned off by this style of writing found it down right difficult. My dd even tried it on audio but the narrator was not very good. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. I felt that some parts of the story would just get going and then it would switch to something else or just be over. I guess it left me wanting more. More story, more detail, more something. I wish we would have chosen a different version so the kids could have gotten into the story more. We ended up focusing a lot more on heraldry (pulling it from the book) and vocabulary. We even made a coat of arms, which they did enjoy. I just had my dd go and check and our book is 308 pages.

I hope this helps somewhat. I would go with a different version, but that's just my humble (or not so) opinion. ;) Good luck!

Angel