Menu

Thoughts on Mr. Q's science

I am looking at this for my rising 7th grader. We are finishing up BJU Life science this year. Mr. Q's looks good, but I am wondering if maybe too light? What if we double timed it and did Elem. Chem and Physics in one year? How does it compare with Rainbow? Which would get him ready for Conceptual Physics, CPO, or another strong Physical science in 8th?

Waaay too light for a 7th grader. I'd say best grades for Mr. Q is 2nd-4th. It's a bit light even for 5th, imho.

:iagree:

My younger student is using Mr. Q as his "spine" this year (Biology) and next (Earth & Space). My older student is using Prentice-Hall Science Explorer. She listens in to Mr. Q as she likes the humor in it, but it is definitely a grammar stage program.

Unsupplemented and one book a year, it will not prepare a student for a selective 4 year college. BUT, there are a LOT of families with a 7th grader who might find Mr. Q to be a great resource. Not all 7th graders are the same and not everyone USES Mr. Q the same way.

The strengths of Mr. Q that always drive me back to using it, for a variety of age levels, is the pacing of topics and the ESP labs.

In GENERAL and for many 1st generation homeschool families, I personally think the default high school science scope and sequence takes too much time and money to implement and ultimately takes away from time and money spent on language art and math skills and even scientific literacy, which results in poorer performance in science at the college level, and in daily life. But that is MY philosophy on science education :-)

Some suggested reading

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Matters-Achieving-Scientific-Literacy/dp/0307454584/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

Dr Robinson is very controversial, but I believe that SOME of what he has to say about science is worth reading http://www.robinsoncurriculum.com/view/rc/s31p1015.htm

The BFSU books were written by a junior college professor and contain all the knowledge necessary to be fully prepared for one of his environmental science courses, despite being labeled grades k-8. Non printable pdfs are available for $5.00 on his website.

In GENERAL and for many 1st generation homeschool families, I personally think the default high school science scope and sequence takes too much time and money to implement and ultimately takes away from time and money spent on language art and math skills and even scientific literacy, which results in poorer performance in science at the college level, and in daily life. But that is MY philosophy on science education :-)

Different strokes for different folks, of course, but if I were to adopt that sort of attitude, my DH would have the kids in PS so fast that it would make my head spin. I personally am HS to give my kids a BETTER education than what our local PS offers, not one that is significantly worse.

I looked at the Advanced Chem and it looks great! But, ds wants to "blow things up, not cook" for experiments. I've looked At Rainbow, as well, but hesitate b/c of the $$ and not being able to see it before I buy it. BJU is too dry and intense for us next year ( and I can't take a full year of earth and space).

Different strokes for different folks, of course, but if I were to adopt that sort of attitude, my DH would have the kids in PS so fast that it would make my head spin. I personally am HS to give my kids a BETTER education than what our local PS offers, not one that is significantly worse.

There are SO many reasons families homeschool. Not all of them are academic reasons. And even those that homeschool for academic reasons sometimes have different PRIORITIES and METHODS. Trying to outdo the PS, using THEIR methods isn't EVERYONE'S idea of a "better" education.

Middle school science isn't always about long hours spent completing a rigorous textbook written specifically for selective 4 year college bound students.

I am looking for a chemistry curriculum for a co-op for 4-6th graders. I picked Mr. Q because (elementary level) because the middle school level said that it required pre-algebra, which most of these kids aren't doing. I am planning on putting together something from Ellen McHenry's the Elements, too. Has anyone used the jr. High level chemistry? I worry I have chosen wrong.