Menu

great movies

My kids attend a hybrid school which has May off. We will do literature, history and math to fulfill our mandatory school days. But I thought it would be fun to watch great movies with them. I have a really bad foot and can't hike or walk right now (or ever) and would love to create a special memory for our movies in May with my kids before they are grown and gone.

They are 15, 13 (will be) and 10. The 10 year old actually loves scary suspense movies more than the 15. I don't have netflix mailed to me, but might get it for May.

Or any tv series on Netflix recommended?

My husband is quite a film buff, and we have been going through this list. Some of the movies should definitely be pre-screened by adults first, but we haven't been disappointed by a movie on it yet.

The British Film Institute provides only an alphabetical listing of the top ten recommended movies.[1] They are:

Bicycle Thieves (1948)

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Kes (1969)

The Night of the Hunter (1955)

The 400 Blows (1959)

Show Me Love (1998)

Spirited Away (2001)

Toy Story (1995)

Where is the Friend's Home? (1987)

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

[edit]The following 40 in alphabetical order

A Day at the Races (1937)

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

Au revoir les enfants (1987)

Back to the Future (1985)

Beauty and the Beast (1946)

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Billy Elliot (2000)

Edward Scissorhands (1990)

Finding Nemo (2003)

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

Jason and the Argonauts (1963)

The Kid (1921)

King Kong (1933)

Kirikou and the Sorceress (1998)

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (1953)

My Life as a Dog (1985)

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

Oliver Twist (1948)

The Outsiders (1983)

Pather Panchali (1955)

Play Time (1967)

The Princess Bride (1987)

Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

The Railway Children (1970)

The Red Balloon (1956)

Romeo + Juliet (1996)

The Secret Garden (1993)

Singin' in the Rain (1952)

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

Some Like It Hot (1959)

The Spirit of the Beehive (1973)

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)

To Be and to Have (2002)

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

A Trip to the Moon (1902)

Walkabout (1971)

Whale Rider (2002)

Whistle Down the Wind (1961)

The White Balloon (1995)

Gifted Hands (NR - I would think PG)

Oscar winner Cuba Gooding Jr. stars as pediatric neurosurgeon Ben Carson (portrayed as a child by Jaishon Fisher and as a teen by Gus Hoffman), who overcomes enormous obstacles to study medicine and save lives at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Kimberly Elise plays Carson's hardworking single mother, Sonya, who faces her own hurdles on the road to helping her son succeed in this made-for-cable drama based on Carson's memoirs

End of the Spear (PG-13 - natives spearing people & loin cloths!)

Many years after his missionary father was speared to death at the hands of Waodani tribesmen, a young man (Chad Allen) returns to the Ecuadorian jungle to meet the native (Louie Leonardo) who murdered his father and learn the truth about his family's legacy. The result, in this film based on a true story, is a life-altering experience that brings him closer to the kin of his father's killer and impacts both of their lives forever.

Beyond the Gates of Splendor (PG-13)

This documentary tells the extraordinary story of five American missionaries who, in 1956, traveled to the Amazon basin of Ecuador, where they were killed by the Waodani, an intensely violent tribe of indigenous people. Upon learning of the murders, family members of the slain men took up the missionaries' work with the Waodani, ultimately bringing peace to the savage culture through their teachings of love and forgiveness.

The Inn of Sixth Happiness (1958) with Ingrid Bergman

All her life Englishwoman Gladys Aylward knew that China was the place where she belonged. Not qualified to be sent there as a missionary, Gladys works as a domestic to earn the money to send herself to a poor, remote village. There she eventually lives a full and happy life: running the inn, acting as "foot inspector", advising the local Mandarin and even winning the heart of mixed race Captain Lin Nan. But Gladys discovers her real destiny when the country is invaded by Japan and the Chinese children need her to save their lives. Based on a true story

One avenue to try (alternative to Netflix) is renting/streaming from Amazon. If you are a Prime member, many of the movies are FREE.

Our local library has quite a few DVD's to rent as well. You can even go on line to reserve your copy if you don't want to rummage thru the shelves.

Here are some other links....

At Teaching with Movies, you can find lists of movies for certain time periods (go to "Top 10" tab, then choose which category you are interested in)...you an also purchase resources from them if you really want to 'teach with movies'. (I have not used their resources, so I cannot lend advice to the quality or content of the lesson plans).

Visit the blog "Teacups in the Garden" for another list.

Paula's Archives has an extensive list too.

I'll add others as I remember them....http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/images/smilies/lurk5.gif