Menu

Sports Management

Brigid in NC

My senior--who is heading to college and planning to major in chemical engineering--would love to work in the field of sports management. Where some kids dream of being rock stars -- he dreams of being a college coach. Coaching is about as realistic as winning American Idol, and he knows that. So he's trying to figure out what the possibilities are in the sports world. He knows everything about sports. He's a walking font of statistics and sports facts. He's a good soccer player--captain of his team, all tournament team selection.

Dh and I want to support him in any way we can, but we are pretty clueless about sports management and the various paths and options there. If you've had any experience in this realm and can give us any suggestions about where to go--what to consider--in order to help guide our ds, that would be much appreciated! Ds is not a gifted writer--he's my mathematician--so sports journalism would probably not be the ticket.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Not me, but a lady at church. Her son is majoring in Sports Management at Texas A&M. I found it on their website and they have a minor in coaching.

http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshmen/whyaggieland/UniquePrograms/colleges/education_human_development.aspx

I know he wasn't an "A" student at a local private school. He played basketball in high school but nothing in college. Maybe club sports. But that's really all I do know. The family can afford for him to go just about anywhere and that's where he went.

Sports Management and coaching are two different animals. Sports Management is the business end of the program: the AD, marketing, sales, finances, etc. They usually major in Sports Management (a relatively new major,) business, finance, etc.

Coaches deal with the athletes and the dynamics of training and competing. They are almost exclusively ex-players. College coaches have usually played Div I successfully, and/or professionally. Their majors run the gamut, but increasingly focus on things like physiology, biology, kinetics, etc. They often start by becoming an assistant coach at their alma mater, right after graduation.

There is, of course, some transfer between the two tracks. If the school is small enough, one person has to do everything.

He should look up some of the hundreds of college soccer coaches' bios on the Internet and see what they majored in and how they got to be where they are today. Email a few and ask about it.

I don't think it's nearly as hard as becoming a rock star.

College Confidential had a thread about Sports Management majors, with a list of schools.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/350053-sports-management-major.html

My niece was a college coach for 10 yrs. Her boyfriend of many years was a college coach. Her husband is a high school coach. None of them majored in sports mgmt. in college. They played sports in high school and college and then went on to coach that sport.

Thank you. That just further reinforces what my ds understands--so I think he is trying to find other options (other than aspiring to "coach") within the sports world where he may be able to combine his skills with his interests.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions! These are all very helpful!

Edited by Brigid in NC

I'd tell him to stick to engineering! Better pay and steadier work!

However I know two folks who do some sort of sports management sort of work.

One was a journalism major, she wrote sports pieces in the daily student paper. After college she did work in some major league front offices and now has some kind of management company that runs sporting events.

The other was an attorney. Quit, took a job that paid less to work for a NFL team. All I ever heard that he did was book and arrange accommodations for the team on the road. I'm sure there was more to this job, but I don't know what. He now works on his own and has co-written a few books with famous sports folks that have sold very well (no doubt due to famous NFL guys name on the front, hopefully the book read better with my friend's writing). I also think this person had some family connections and money to sustain in tough times.

So honestly, I'd be tempted to say do what I said first, stick with the thing that can support you but look for work that leads to sports (design shoes, etc.)

I'd tell him to stick to engineering! Better pay and steadier work!

However I know two folks who do some sort of sports management sort of work.

One was a journalism major, she wrote sports pieces in the daily student paper. After college she did work in some major league front offices and now has some kind of management company that runs sporting events.

The other was an attorney. Quit, took a job that paid less to work for a NFL team. All I ever heard that he did was book and arrange accommodations for the team on the road. I'm sure there was more to this job, but I don't know what. He now works on his own and has co-written a few books with famous sports folks that have sold very well (no doubt due to famous NFL guys name on the front, hopefully the book read better with my friend's writing). I also think this person had some family connections and money to sustain in tough times.

So honestly, I'd be tempted to say do what I said first, stick with the thing that can support you but look for work that leads to sports (design shoes, etc.)

If I had realized that I have actually met you (you lead my oldest dd's honor society), I'd have tried to put you in touch with the young man I spoke of. He was in town this weekend. But he's leaving first thing in the morning. The local private school he went to was Ravenscroft.

If I had realized that I have actually met you (you lead my oldest dd's honor society), I'd have tried to put you in touch with the young man I spoke of. He was in town this weekend. But he's leaving first thing in the morning. The local private school he went to was Ravenscroft.

How about that! Small world! :001_smile: I appreciate your note, Cheryl--and all the notes in response to my question. Thank you everybody. Very helpful advice!

...in reading this article about the very young Portland Trail Blazers interim coach and his path to this position. He's done some pretty great things already with the team which had been losing consistently. He says that his path to becoming interim head coach was through videography.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/03/kaleb_canales_takes_charge_of_trail_blazers.html

Does he golf? They have college majors in golf for teaching pros. You do have to be able to golf well enough to have a low handicap so if he hasn't golfed before it would be a stretch but if he has some golf experience, and likes golf, it may be something to look into.

Thanks so much LaJuana and Paz. Terrific thinking!

LaJuana, I shared your article with my ds and he was intrigued. He knew of the coach, but not the details of his background. It prompted a productive discussion about alternate routes.

I think that golf is not the sports arena of most interest to my ds, Paz, but I appreciate the suggestion. I know of one homeschooler who is on a golf management track, and what fun that would be if golf were your passion!

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions everybody!