Menu

7th grader wants different history curriculum

Changed

I was getting ready to sit down and type out what I had planned for next year so you could tell me if I'm forgetting anything...and then I started a discussion with dd12! :tongue_smilie: Now everything may be changing and I need some advice.

DD12 was homeschooled in 2nd, 4th, and then we pulled her out mid-year this (6th grade) year. So she "knows" public school. We've been using HOD CtC, and I had planned on going into RtR for next year. Well, she hates it. To be honest, I love the idea of living books and a classical education, but it isn't what she's used to and she doesn't like it. It would be so much easier to just purchase HOD for next year since it incorporates bible study/devotions, art appreciation, etc, but I don't want her to be miserable. I'm going to type out snippets of what she said to me, and maybe ya'll can recommend a history book(s) for us to try:

"We were doing social studies in school and that's what I like...learning about people, like Rosa Parks...and current events and problems...pollution, population, and how we'll be over-crowded...present day "history"...world history, not ancient bible times."

Oh, and she said she wants a textbook. :blink: You know, where you read a chapter, do the review questions, take a quiz and then a test. Doesn't that go against everything?!

*sigh* I'm back to square one. Is it important for her to do some sort of 4 year rotation, or can I just start her in more modern history studies? I don't even know what she's "supposed" to know before high school, or what she's supposed to learn in high school regarding history. :001_huh:

Please help!

If she's willing at all to consider Middle Ages - maybe MOH would be more textbook-ish than HOD?

Or, if you decide to stick with more modern topics, American the Beautiful, from Notgrass is American history aimed at the middle school grades.

Both are Christian in perspective. Like you, I love living books, but like your dd, I like a streamlined approach. I could see either of these working well, with some additional reading on the side?

HTH.

If she's willing at all to consider Middle Ages - maybe MOH would be more textbook-ish than HOD?

Or, if you decide to stick with more modern topics, American the Beautiful, from Notgrass is American history aimed at the middle school grades.

Both are Christian in perspective. Like you, I love living books, but like your dd, I like a streamlined approach. I could see either of these working well, with some additional reading on the side?

HTH.

Hmmm...MOH is actually the book HOD uses for next year's history. I haven't actually seen it yet, but the ancient history book used this year is way to Bible based for my daughter. Do you know if MOH is "preachy", or does it just teach history from a Christian perspective? Does that question even make sense? :001_huh:

ETA: HOD starts with MOH volume III: The Renaissance, the Reformation, the Growth of Nations. TBH, I hear people talk about NE and YE and I have no idea what that means.

Edited by vcoots

DD12 was homeschooled in 2nd, 4th, and then we pulled her out mid-year this (6th grade) year. So she "knows" public school. We've been using HOD CtC, and I had planned on going into RtR for next year. Well, she hates it. To be honest, I love the idea of living books and a classical education, but it isn't what she's used to and she doesn't like it. It would be so much easier to just purchase HOD for next year since it incorporates bible study/devotions, art appreciation, etc, but I don't want her to be miserable. I'm going to type out snippets of what she said to me, and maybe ya'll can recommend a history book(s) for us to try:

"We were doing social studies in school and that's what I like...learning about people, like Rosa Parks...and current events and problems...pollution, population, and how we'll be over-crowded...present day "history"...world history, not ancient bible times."

Oh, and she said she wants a textbook. :blink: You know, where you read a chapter, do the review questions, take a quiz and then a test. Doesn't that go against everything?!

*sigh* I'm back to square one. Is it important for her to do some sort of 4 year rotation, or can I just start her in more modern history studies? I don't even know what she's "supposed" to know before high school, or what she's supposed to learn in high school regarding history. :001_huh:

Please help!

I suppose you need to decide how long you plan to homeschool. If you plan on sticking her back in the public school system, you can take a look at your state's Dept of Ed website and base your studies upon that. Perhaps acquire next years text and use that as a spine. Tie in map studies and bring in primary and secondary sources.

Pollution can be studied in science. Rosa Parks can be pursued during language arts.

You asked about MOH. MOH is YE. Vol 1 starts at Ancients. Many love it... I returned my copy for a refund.

Edited by Heathermomster

I suppose you need to decide how long you plan to homeschool. If you plan on sticking her back in the public school system, you can take a look at your state's Dept of Ed website and base your studies upon that. Perhaps use next years text and use that as a spine. Tie in map studies and bring in primary and secondary sources.

Pollution can be studied in science. Rosa Parks can be pursued during language arts.

She's going to be homeschooled through high school. DH is finally on board completely with hs'ing and we are confident (as confident as anyone can be of the unknown) that she won't be going back to ps. But I have been wanting to know what they teach in ps, so thanks for the recommendation of checking out the Dept of Ed site; I had no clue where to search for that.

She is now telling me she wants to do a "social studies" book/class in addition to whatever history we choose. Are there actual social studies books for me to choose from?

Here is a link to Holt McDougal Social Studies texts (some of them also have online versions as well): Holt McDougal

They have world history, american history, and geography for middle school.

Another suggestion, have you considered Oak Meadow? They have curriculum that is written like a textbook. The student reads the information for whatever topic is being covered and then there are questions, activities, websites, etc to complete. The 7th grade social studies from Oak Meadow is kind of an overview of World History describing major events and different cultures around the world. It might be just what you are looking for. Then their 8th grade social studies focuses on civics, community, government, and american history. Oak Meadow has a way of interweaving topics so it has more of a holistic feel to it. I think they may be having a sale again on their curriculum soon. I will have to look it up because I know I saw it somewhere.

Oak Meadow

Just looked up the curriculum sale, and someone mentioned they would be having a 20% off sale in May. Here is a link to the yahoo group as well where people sell used OM curriculum and you can ask questions:

OM Yahoo Group

Edited by txhomemom

Here is a link to Holt McDougal Social Studies texts (some of them also have online versions as well): Holt McDougal

They have world history, american history, and geography for middle school.

Another suggestion, have you considered Oak Meadow? They have curriculum that is written like a textbook. The student reads the information for whatever topic is being covered and then there are questions, activities, websites, etc to complete. The 7th grade social studies from Oak Meadow is kind of an overview of World History describing major events and different cultures around the world. It might be just what you are looking for. Then their 8th grade social studies focuses on civics, community, government, and american history. Oak Meadow has a way of interweaving topics so it has more of a holistic feel to it. I think they may be having a sale again on their curriculum soon. I will have to look it up because I know I saw it somewhere.

Oak Meadow

Just looked up the curriculum sale, and someone mentioned they would be having a 20% off sale in May. Here is a link to the yahoo group as well where people sell used OM curriculum and you can ask questions:

OM Yahoo Group

I don't know anything about Holt or OM, so I'm off to check them out. The OM does sound like just what she's looking for. Thank you!

Both my girls wanted textbooks and workbooks about age 12 too. So, we did. They enjoyed it!

We did not do every section review or chapter review. We did not do a test every chapter. We did not fill in all the blanks. We did "some" of all those things.

We discussed almost every chapter. We did some IEW style KWO and rewrites from source material in the textbook. We checked out library books and watched documentaries. We did some outlining.

You can use a text in a very CM style. You can use a text as a spine in a WTM style.

And frankly, when "life happens".... extended illness and the like..... just reading a textbook will cover all the basics!

I would rather change "my" plans to line up with what a student "wants" to study than struggle through 180 days of a disgruntled attitude.:tongue_smilie:

Both my girls wanted textbooks and workbooks about age 12 too. So, we did. They enjoyed it!

We did not do every section review or chapter review. We did not do a test every chapter. We did not fill in all the blanks. We did "some" of all those things.

We discussed almost every chapter. We did some IEW style KWO and rewrites from source material in the textbook. We checked out library books and watched documentaries. We did some outlining.

You can use a text in a very CM style. You can use a text as a spine in a WTM style.

And frankly, when "life happens".... extended illness and the like..... just reading a textbook will cover all the basics!

I would rather change "my" plans to line up with what a student "wants" to study than struggle through 180 days of a disgruntled attitude.:tongue_smilie:

Can you share what history book you used as a spine?

I understand your daughter's desire to be taught "social studies." Growing up in public schools, my favorite classes were "social studies." Social studies includes history, physical and cultural geography, civics, and relational studies such as sociology and psychology. To me, adding culture and relational topics to history made it seem much more alive and relevant. Although not a textbook, Sonlight seems to include these topics. Perhaps, your daughter would enjoy Sonlight F. If BJU works for you, some of BJU's texts include these topics as BJU tries to build their curriculum based on state and national standards used by public schools (using a particular Christian world view). Also, cultural and relational studies are easy to include in a literature class.