Menu

Good, inexpensive science?

faiths13

I cant seem to find something I like for science. We tried a traditional science text, but it seemed pretty boring. We tried reading some of the older books like Story Book of Science, which one of my sons liked, and one did not. I like it, but I worry if its enough. We have also tried reading bios on scientists, which is nice and Story of Science by Joy Hakim. Also interesting, but I just dont know if its the right thing either. Anyway, I think it would be nice to have something that is more like a traditional science book, but not texty. Something interesting and engaging for the kids. Something that does have some review questions, but not alot. Any thoughts?

Also, searching through threads for science I keep seeing TWTM science - I dont have the book atm, I have to get it from the library. What is TWTM science?

Edited by faiths13

Okay, I'll try to sum up WTM science for you, although someone else might do a better job :001_smile:. Basically you study one topic for a whole year (biology, earth science and astronomy, chemistry and physics). SWB lists different books, mainly encyclopedias but also experiment books and other resources, to help you cover each topic. So, say you are doing biology, and more specifically, animals. You'd read something about an animal from the animal encyclopedia and then have your dc narrate from the reading (tell back something that you read). You would write it down in their notebook and they could draw a picture to go with it. WTM science is definitely not a textbook and doesn't have review questions or anything like that.

However, many people who want to do science the WTM use Elemental Science, which puts it all into lesson plans for you to follow. There still aren't review questions, but there is a weekly quiz, and experiments every week.

SWB also recommends Real Science 4 Kids and Great Science Adventures in TWTM (not that you have to follow her recommendations, of course!).

I bought the Christian Kids Explore Earth Science and Astronony on amazon.com for $20.00. It is about 350 pages of lesson plans, activities, stuff to copy, etc. We are going to start it next month after Easter break and I am really excited about it!

We like Elemental Science. It's fairly inexpensive and provides a good framework for adding in other material if you're covering a topic that holds a lot of interest.

Cassy

Galore Park 'So You Really Want to Learn Science' is also good for older children http://www.galorepark.co.uk/page-home_schoolers/category-science/4/0/0/0/0/0/filter-criteria.html

Edited by Cassy

You might like Intellego unit studies. They're internet-linked PDFs. I don't feel they're "unit studies" in the traditional sense, but they are broken down into specific topics. (We're doing 3-5 Weather right now.)

We're doing 3-5 Earth Science and liking it. We love the video links.