Menu

Old or New SL Core C?

ByGrace3

Can someone help me determine which I would want? I don't completely understand the changes, and since this is the first time buying a core, I am not really sure what it will mean to me. We have used the readers and schedule and many books.

I am planning to buy core C with readers 4/5. I doubt I will use the LA since I will be doing this core with a 2nd grader (and we are happy with other things for LA).

I saw the list of book changes, but I haven't read them so not sure what the difference is? Are the new books a beneficial addition?

Any insight? Thanks!

Also, has anyone used an alternative spine? I don't love CHOW. If I used SOTW, I would need parts of book 2, 3,and 4 correct? Any other viable options? If not I am sure I can get over it. I would like to combine at least SOTW 2 since we might jump back into the 4 year cycle the next year, but I thought about simply listening to the audios.

Edited by ByGrace3

If you are not planning on using the SL LA, you'd be paying about $30 extra for a new core. I don't think there are major changes in the books from the old core to the new. You could always buy the old core and add in any of the new books you think you'd like - I've done this in the past even before the IGs changed. You probably won't be able to buy the old IG and additional new books from SL at the same time, though. You can always buy the new books later from SL or from another book seller.

As far as not using CHOW, that is an option for you. There are people who do not buy CHOW (it's not part of the core price, but a required resource). Some people use SOTW or MOH, and build in their own schedule.

If you do use books that are not scheduled in your older IG (like the new books or an alternative history spine), you won't have the SL notes for them. If this is a major problem for you, then it will influence your purchasing choice. For me, I don't use the notes for every book. Lots of times I never even look at the notes. I don't particularly like to use their discussion questions - I ask my dc questions that seem relevant to us, or obvious vocabulary and/or compehension questions.

One thing I try to do is pre-read each book before reading it with my dc. This will give me a better sense of any potential problems or issues than SL notes, especially because every child and family has different sensitivities.

Hope this helps a little.

We've been using Core B this year which used Child's History of the World. We also supplement with SOTW. I found this website to be massively helpful.

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/chowsotw.htm

It's the chapters of CHOW and their corresponding SOTW chapters. So if you wanted to do without CHOW, you could plug in the chapter of SOTW that goes along with it and do it that way.

We've been using Core B this year which used Child's History of the World. We also supplement with SOTW. I found this website to be massively helpful.

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/chowsotw.htm

It's the chapters of CHOW and their corresponding SOTW chapters. So if you wanted to do without CHOW, you could plug in the chapter of SOTW that goes along with it and do it that way.

Thanks. The website stops coordinating after SOTW 2, and core C goes from SoTW 2 to 4. I am sure with a little work I could coordinate it, just not sure it would be worth it.

If you are not planning on using the SL LA, you'd be paying about $30 extra for a new core. I don't think there are major changes in the books from the old core to the new. You could always buy the old core and add in any of the new books you think you'd like - I've done this in the past even before the IGs changed. You probably won't be able to buy the old IG and additional new books from SL at the same time, though. You can always buy the new books later from SL or from another book seller.

As far as not using CHOW, that is an option for you. There are people who do not buy CHOW (it's not part of the core price, but a required resource). Some people use SOTW or MOH, and build in their own schedule.

If you do use books that are not scheduled in your older IG (like the new books or an alternative history spine), you won't have the SL notes for them. If this is a major problem for you, then it will influence your purchasing choice. For me, I don't use the notes for every book. Lots of times I never even look at the notes. I don't particularly like to use their discussion questions - I ask my dc questions that seem relevant to us, or obvious vocabulary and/or compehension questions.

One thing I try to do is pre-read each book before reading it with my dc. This will give me a better sense of any potential problems or issues than SL notes, especially because every child and family has different sensitivities.

Hope this helps a little.

I think the new core has 6 new books? Seems like a substantial change...

I think the new core has 6 new books? Seems like a substantial change...

I hadn't checked the changes in this particular core, but it looks like there are 9 new books and 6 books removed from the old core. That is a bigger change than "normal," but not a big as some (e.g., core F). The only new books I've read are "Pippi Longstockings" and "Encyclopedia," which are both good. The books that are being dropped are good, too, so it's a tough decision. You may want to look at specific book descriptions to see which books you prefer.

Have you compared the old IG to the new IG samples to see if you prefer either of those?

If you aren't going to use CHOW or LA, I wouldn't even do SL. I would just use SL's historical fiction to supplement SOTW using this list: http://homescool-ed.blogspot.com/2007/04/sonlight-books-arranged-by-well-trained.html

We have done SL a few times and find SOTW with just more SL books is a better fit for our family. We do school all year, though, and only schedule one chapter of SOTW a week and one historical fiction every 2 weeks (my dd actually reads one a week because she loves reading so much!). We supplement SOTW and historical fiction with library books, mapping, SOTW test booklet, review questions (from the AG and me) and on video on the subject a week. It is so much fun! Much less stressful for us. We use the audio with SOTW and I have them read SL books that are on their level. None of us enjoyed me reading aloud (and I am too ill to do so anyway). Now I don't have to read aloud anything and the dc get tons of history.

Edited by lillehei

If you aren't going to use CHOW or LA, I wouldn't even do SL. I would just use SL's historical fiction to supplement SOTW using this list: http://homescool-ed.blogspot.com/2007/04/sonlight-books-arranged-by-well-trained.html

We have done SL a few times and find SOTW with just more SL books is a better fit for our family. We do school all year, though, and only schedule one chapter of SOTW a week and one historical fiction every 2 weeks (my dd actually reads one a week because she loves reading so much!). We supplement SOTW and historical fiction with library books, mapping, SOTW test booklet, review questions (from the AG and me) and on video on the subject a week. It is so much fun! Much less stressful for us. We use the audio with SOTW and I have them read SL books that are on their level. None of us enjoyed me reading aloud (and I am too ill to do so anyway). Now I don't have to read aloud anything and the dc get tons of history.

:iagree:

:iagree:

NO!!! :willy_nilly: ok, that sent me into a "am I sure about this? re reading a ton, reevaluating, etc.

ok. back to calming down. :lol:

I do think I am still leaning towards SL. No telling what I will do with it once I get into it though :tongue_smilie:

Other than the book changes and adding in LA, what are the other Core C changes?

The maps right? they are laminated? I looked at the Core D map samples, and they looked. . . busy? Will the new Core C maps look like that? I don't think I would like that. I could always laminate the old ones myself-- I do like that idea.

Any other changes? The notes are changing right? Any idea as to the kind of note changes?

Other changes I don't know about?

Thanks!

Any other changes? The notes are changing right? Any idea as to the kind of note changes?

In the old cores, the notes were separate from the schedule. So in one section, you have your schedule from week 1 to week 36. Then in another section, you have notes for each history book, then another section has notes for your read-alouds, and another section has a note for your readers. The schedule tells you what page to look for your notes. The notes have questions for each chapter usually. They will talk about the setting, learning objectives, places to mark on the map, etc.

In the new cores, the notes are right behind the schedule page, and they're all together. So for week 1, you'll have your schedule, then you'll have a page of notes for each thing being read that day. This is easier IF you follow the schedule. If you get ahead in one book and behind in another, I can see it being a problem.

So which one you would prefer just depends on how you plan to work. Are you going to finish out a week before moving on to the next week? Or are you going to just read the books start to finish and not worry about the schedule?

I personally would prefer the notes the new core way (we basically are following the schedule for the most part), but alas, I'm using an old core, and I don't really want to buy a new one right now since this one is working fine. Next year, I'll probably buy the new core IG for the next level up.

As far as the content of the notes... in the Core D sample they put up, the content looks exactly the same as the 2005 Core D notes that I have here. That's just a small sampling though, so who knows whether they made changes to the contents of the notes in other cores.

In the old cores, the notes were separate from the schedule. So in one section, you have your schedule from week 1 to week 36. Then in another section, you have notes for each history book, then another section has notes for your read-alouds, and another section has a note for your readers. The schedule tells you what page to look for your notes. The notes have questions for each chapter usually. They will talk about the setting, learning objectives, places to mark on the map, etc.

In the new cores, the notes are right behind the schedule page, and they're all together. So for week 1, you'll have your schedule, then you'll have a page of notes for each thing being read that day. This is easier IF you follow the schedule. If you get ahead in one book and behind in another, I can see it being a problem.

So which one you would prefer just depends on how you plan to work. Are you going to finish out a week before moving on to the next week? Or are you going to just read the books start to finish and not worry about the schedule?

I personally would prefer the notes the new core way (we basically are following the schedule for the most part), but alas, I'm using an old core, and I don't really want to buy a new one right now since this one is working fine. Next year, I'll probably buy the new core IG for the next level up.

As far as the content of the notes... in the Core D sample they put up, the content looks exactly the same as the 2005 Core D notes that I have here. That's just a small sampling though, so who knows whether they made changes to the contents of the notes in other cores.

Thanks, I think I will like the new format of the IG, do you know if the content of the notes are changing? Also, do the maps for core D look very different? The new sample core D maps are very ... Cluttered. But of course they might be just like the old ones :tongue_smilie:

Thanks!

I believe the laminated maps are actually the "Teacher's map" that has all the places listed that you'd be adding to the markable map as you go along in the program. So the laminated map in the guide is kind of like an answer key. Before they used to give you a paper map for each book instead. At least that's the way I'm seeing the map changes. I don't plan to use the SL markable map. I will either print a map from my Uncle Josh CD for the kids to label/color or we'll mark it on our huge school type pull down maps, actually I'll probably do both.

I believe the laminated maps are actually the "Teacher's map" that has all the places listed that you'd be adding to the markable map as you go along in the program. So the laminated map in the guide is kind of like an answer key. Before they used to give you a paper map for each book instead. At least that's the way I'm seeing the map changes. I don't plan to use the SL markable map. I will either print a map from my Uncle Josh CD for the kids to label/color or we'll mark it on our huge school type pull down maps, actually I'll probably do both.

:lol: this makes so much sense, thank you! I always wondered what I was missing about the IG maps. We use a laminated map to mark the readers (that is the only SL we have used so far) is that all the mark able map is? I wouldn't need it if we already have colored laminated maps on the wall right? Or is there more to it?

:lol: this makes so much sense, thank you! I always wondered what I was missing about the IG maps. We use a laminated map to mark the readers (that is the only SL we have used so far) is that all the mark able map is? I wouldn't need it if we already have colored laminated maps on the wall right? Or is there more to it?

The markable map is just a large laminated, foldable blank map. I have huge pull down maps like they have in school that we much prefer. Sure the kids are specifically writing in the labels, but that's when I print out a blank one for them and they label their own, but we mark our large pull down as well so they can see where all the stuff would be, where as each book would get it's own print out .

Okay, you wouldn't need the children's markable map if you already have maps that you can mark up.

I believe there is also a change in the notes themselves, not just where they are. In my old Core B (which I am using now) and Core C IG (which I returned in favor of the new), in the history section, the notes are a lot like statements, just a recap of what we read. I hated them, and I didn't know what to do with it. I asked this question at SL, and they answered that they new notes aren't going to be statements, but discussion questions that will pull out the important material. I love this change. An example of the old way is (from Core B 2011 notes Tut's Mummy) "It takes months to clear the first room. Tut's body is stored in a coffin, which is one of the three coffins nested together inside of a box." It's just statements, and the new notes will be more questions and ways to move the information read into a discussion with your children. Does that make sense? :001_huh: In my 2011 IGs for Core B and C, the read aloud discussion questions were more to my liking, in question format. It was a springboard for us, where as the statements were something I didn't want to read, as we just read about it in a book.

I sent back my Core C IG I just bought in favor of the new because I liked the new books, wanted the Bible discussion questions (otherwise the Bible reading was bare bones, and again I needed more direction), and I hope that the notes and maps will get used more often in our homeschool since they will be readily available and easier for me to use and actually implement. I may ax a few of the new books, including Pippi (we just read this and loved it), Captain Nobody (not interested), and Encyclopedia Brown (I know, I know, I should read it) in favor of A Little Princess.

Another thing to note is a few of the new books follow the history of Core C better. Sticks Across the Chimney is about Vikings, Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! about the medieval times, Philomena is around WW1 in Czechoslovakia, The Adventures of Sir Lancelot obviously is a knight book, Hidden Tales From Eastern Europe are short stories from after "the walls crumbled" (the Berlin Wall?). They all fit so nicely into history now!

Okay, you wouldn't need the children's markable map if you already have maps that you can mark up.

I believe there is also a change in the notes themselves, not just where they are. In my old Core B (which I am using now) and Core C IG (which I returned in favor of the new), in the history section, the notes are a lot like statements, just a recap of what we read. I hated them, and I didn't know what to do with it. I asked this question at SL, and they answered that they new notes aren't going to be statements, but discussion questions that will pull out the important material. I love this change. An example of the old way is (from Core B 2011 notes Tut's Mummy) "It takes months to clear the first room. Tut's body is stored in a coffin, which is one of the three coffins nested together inside of a box." It's just statements, and the new notes will be more questions and ways to move the information read into a discussion with your children. Does that make sense? :001_huh: In my 2011 IGs for Core B and C, the read aloud discussion questions were more to my liking, in question format. It was a springboard for us, where as the statements were something I didn't want to read, as we just read about it in a book.

I sent back my Core C IG I just bought in favor of the new because I liked the new books, wanted the Bible discussion questions (otherwise the Bible reading was bare bones, and again I needed more direction), and I hope that the notes and maps will get used more often in our homeschool since they will be readily available and easier for me to use and actually implement. I may ax a few of the new books, including Pippi (we just read this and loved it), Captain Nobody (not interested), and Encyclopedia Brown (I know, I know, I should read it) in favor of A Little Princess.

Another thing to note is a few of the new books follow the history of Core C better. Sticks Across the Chimney is about Vikings, Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! about the medieval times, Philomena is around WW1 in Czechoslovakia, The Adventures of Sir Lancelot obviously is a knight book, Hidden Tales From Eastern Europe are short stories from after "the walls crumbled" (the Berlin Wall?). They all fit so nicely into history now!

Not sure why I didn't see this before, but thank you! This was really helpful. I have decided to go with the new IG. I did calculate cost with not using the LA and already having a few books on hand and it was way more cost effective to piece it together. Not quite as fun as ordering a core though! :tongue_smilie:

I have looked at SL every year and always choose something else. I am so very excited to be using it next year!!!

Does anyone know of any great blogs or websites for supplemental materials for Core C? Specifically hands on/crafts (I plan to buy handle on the arts, is it worth it?) and/or books to supplement for a younger tag along (ds will be K)?

I put together 5 pages of links for supplements the other day so I probably have enough, but don't want to miss anything! :lol:

I have always resisted SL because I thought if you pay that much you shouldn't have to tweak, well several years into homeschooling, I am over it! :lol: Sl looks like a great springboard for us, and I am excited to use it this way.

Thanks everyone!!!