Menu

Greek instead of Latin?

lmrich

My oldest two attend a hybrid school two days a week with the most amazing Latin teacher in the world. My kids love Latin; they love her; they are learning. I have finished Latina Christiana with my youngest. She will eventually have this amazing Latin teacher in two years.

So the question is should I continue with Latin? I am not nearly as skilled as this amazing teacher (and no she won't tutor my dd; she is too busy) and she will have her four years. Should I do two years of Greek with my dd? I figure I can learn it with her. What do you recommend for Greek? I know nothing about it, but I did not know Latin either and muddled through it.

Greek now; Latin later? or Latin for 7 years?

Hmm. So she would be starting from scratch with the Latin teacher?

You could do Greek - i don't see that it would be a disaster. It is inflected like Latin is, but more difficult - it is much more irregular and many people find the constructions tend to be more difficult. Many find it easier to start after they have some Latin as it really helps with many of the concepts.

If it were me, i would wait and introduce Greek a year or two after having the great Latin teacher, so my child could use that instruction to aid Greek. In the meantime I would learn a modern language.

A little more background to clarify... She did Song School Latin (loved it and retained everything). Then we completed Latina Christiana over the last year and half. She could do level two over the next two years and then have the amazing teacher for Latin I (High School credit).

Thanks!

I too have had a struggle with Latin and Greek. After asking Andrew Kern, and thinking about his response: We are going to try Henle Latin, Wheelock, and then Bluedorn's Greek. ( He did not endorse any certain book) and just to clarify, he would like for every child to learn Latin and Greek, but if a choice had to be made, it would be better to go deeper in to Latin and learn to love it. We have only used Prima Latina and Latina Christiana I.

I asked him to post a thread on this rather than a personal response, but I guess he would rather take the time to respond to the individual.

:001_smile:

I wonder what he would think of my interesting situation. I know she will receive great Latin instruction. She will not have the chance to take Greek there. She could take French or Spanish. Personally, I want my kids to take Italian; we have friends who live in Italy, and they could spend a summer there practicing.

Well, I don't think I can answer your original question; I have one dd who became suddenyl interested in Latin, took two years of online Latin and loved it, and another dd who wants to be a linguist but has no interest in Latin. She is happily working through Memoria Press Book of Roots (it covers Latin roots only) with me but I think that's as close as she'll come to Latin under my roof. She is, however, fascinated by Greek. For that, she has been using Elementary Greek and doing very well. So, I can recommend that! ;)

Greek now; Latin later? or Latin for 7 years?

I think the Latin for 7 years and add Greek if you want to and have the time for it. I don't know why you would want to stop doing a language they like to do another or how helpful it would be to have just gotten started in two languages as opposed to a good long study in one. A few years of each would mean you'd never get to the good stuff in either, no?

Rosie