Menu

TOG Series: Grammar Students Blog Post is Up

1bassoon

Hey everyone -

Sick of me yet???

Just finished my blog post about Grammar Students.

I post this with a little trepidation. I don't know if this will be helpful at all, since my grammar student is my youngest of 5. But maybe it will give you a little picture of how TOG "might" work for you? I tend to be a little relaxed with my youngest in terms of school, so keep that in mind as you read.

Thanks for everyone's encouragement!

Cool I look forward to reading it tomorrow as I'm strongly considering doing tog for my grammar level students. Question if you only had grammar level kiddos would you still feel that TOG is a great program? I keep hearing how great it is for D & R but hear mixed reviews about grammar

Cool I look forward to reading it tomorrow as I'm strongly considering doing tog for my grammar level students. Question if you only had grammar level kiddos would you still feel that TOG is a great program? I keep hearing how great it is for D & R but hear mixed reviews about grammar

I'll answer that here rather than on my blog:

I think TOG actually IS good for grammar students, but with a caveat. It's good, if your intention is long-term. I really wish that I had TOG when my oldest was a grammar student; I could have used the more relaxed, hands-on pace to teach her, and then educate myself with the AMAZING teacher's notes.

But.

I'll be honest. If I know someone whose oldest child is, say, K through 2nd grade? I usually steer them to Sonlight or SOTW.

On my blog, I link some free vimeo videos about teaching the grammar stage. Those might prove helpful.

Does that make sense?

Oh I couldn't wait :D

Cool. The main reason I'm drawn to it is the worldview and way it gets you talking as a family. I'm not sure how well we will do that with me not-so-eloquent and a 3rd & 4th grader next year, but we will give it a try :)

Yes Heather, that makes sense. I was going to check out the videos tomorrow. I am thinking starting now would be a good Segway into TOG considering it for the long term (providing it works for us)

I started with sonlight but dropped it after a couple of months as I bought into the trivium/4 year cycle concept and felt that Sonlight overscheduled. I also think I'm comfortable with the buffet as that is basically what we did this year.

Edited by warneral
fix spelling

I have two lg students only and we are loving it!

Heather,

I continue to enjoy and learn from your Tapestry posts. Will you be doing a post on the nuts and bolts of planning and organizing your materials? In the blog photos I see your kids sitting with bound workbooks and you also mentioned color coordinated file folders with weekly papers.

Do you buy books or use the library?

Are you a print, DE, or combo? :001_smile:

When do your children begin dialectic work?

What do you use for writing instruction with Tapestry?

Tapestry still scares me. :001_smile:

I have a LG student and one who straddles LG/UG. They both love TOG. They like the history, the literature, the family read alouds, the maps and the activities. We've talked about other options; we've done Classical Conversations and Veritas Press history, but they prefer TOG. We plan on doing this long term.

I have a LG student and one who straddles LG/UG. They both love TOG. They like the history, the literature, the family read alouds, the maps and the activities. We've talked about other options; we've done Classical Conversations and Veritas Press history, but they prefer TOG. We plan on doing this long term.

We'll be doing TOG2 next year and I'm in the midst of trying to figure it out right now. I have 2 boys who are school aged at the moment - K and 3rd this year, so 1st and 4th next year.

I'm wondering about how you are having your oldest straddle LG/UG. My oldest will turn 9 in May, and he's a good reader...but not particularly motivated, although he enjoys history. Ds6 will be LG, obviously, but I'm wondering if keeping the boys together in LG would be a help to me because then ds8/9 could help with reading to his brother (I have a precocious 3yo dd and we will have a newborn in May).

It's just hard to know without seeing the differences between the LG and UG books.

ETA: Your other curriculum choices are much the same as ours - WWE, FLL, MM...

Edited by sncstraub

We'll be doing TOG2 next year and I'm in the midst of trying to figure it out right now. I have 2 boys who are school aged at the moment - K and 3rd this year, so 1st and 4th next year.

I'm wondering about how you are having your oldest straddle LG/UG. My oldest will turn 9 in May, and he's a good reader...but not particularly motivated, although he enjoys history. Ds6 will be LG, obviously, but I'm wondering if keeping the boys together in LG would be a help to me because then ds8/9 could help with reading to his brother (I have a precocious 3yo dd and we will have a newborn in May).

It's just hard to know without seeing the differences between the LG and UG books.

You could easily do LG with him and add one or two UG level items.

Like use SOTW chapters (alt UG resource) that go with each week. Add in UG literature here and there.

Hey everyone -

Sick of me yet???

Just finished my blog post about Grammar Students.

I post this with a little trepidation. I don't know if this will be helpful at all, since my grammar student is my youngest of 5. But maybe it will give you a little picture of how TOG "might" work for you? I tend to be a little relaxed with my youngest in terms of school, so keep that in mind as you read.

Thanks for everyone's encouragement!

Thanks, Heather. Keep 'em coming.:D

Not HLDoll, but I have a LG/UG straddler. I read the LG core books with dd8 and ds6 (or assign them to dd when we get short on time). I then make a "book basket" of LG/UG books for her. From the library I get any available in depth or alternate LG/UG books and the core UG books. She reads these during quiet time. For lit, she reads the UG selections.

Could I ask what your favorite lapbook source is? Are you using the ones put out by TOG or other vendors?

:bigear:

Alright, y'all - I'm TOTALLY fried from a long day, but wanted to quick pop in and answer:

I have the Dinah Zike books, and have loved creating my own lapbooks for years. I've even taught workshops on how to design lapbooks with your kids to use with any curriculum . . . . .

So, I bought the kit from TOG. Not even the one where you print it, but the kit, mind you! I. Love. It. I cut out each mini-book, and file them with my papers for each week-plan. I love it that it's already thought out for me, the paper is printed, etc etc etc.

The only down side, is that sometimes we'll be scheduled to do a book on a topic that we didn't really read about that week - so, honestly, we do a little internet research and think of something to write. I mean, she's 7, ya know?!

Does that answer your question? :) I'm exhausted and a little loopy, so it might not make sense. . . . .

My son LOVES history and is a strong reader. He watches Teaching Company lectures and documentaries in his spare time and is constantly reenacting history scenes and battles with Playmobil, Lego and army men. He reads the LG books so that we can talk about them with his younger sister, but I assign him many of the UG books as well, because he just absorbs the information. He also enjoys the longer literature selections in UG. Maturity-wise, he's not ready for deeper discussions yet, nor for some of the more advanced activities, but he likes the books. At that age you could easily keep your son in LG for your convenience, especially if he's not particularly motivated in history.