Menu

Saxon alg. 1/2 or alg. 1

My 13 yo ds just finished saxon 8/7 . I questioned which to put him in next, alg.1/2 or just alg. 1. The saxon person I communicate with when I have any questions about content etc gave me the impression that you certainly could go right into alg. 1 but he would recc. alg.1/2 first. Looked over the lessons last night and it just seems like a lot of repeat of what he just had. I am totally all about repitition in math however (and I guess since its midyear that we're moving on) it just seems a shame to go from the concepts he was learning at the end of 8/7 to many, many, many lessons of "busy work." Plus saxon seems to repeat so many previous concepts in continuing lessons that one does get to practice what hasn't been taught/thought about it in a period of time. I suggested to my saxon contact that I handpick certain problems from each lesson (although they explicitly frown upon this in other literature about saxon math) that I feel would give him adequate review and for me to be sure he is ready to move. However, he didn't agree with this and felt that nothing should be skipped in alg. 1/2. Anyone have any experience with this? Would really appreciate your thoughts.

Sharon

How has the student been performing on the 87 tests? My understanding is that if the student did well in Math 87, especially if it is a newer edition, as in getting 85% or better on the last 5 tests in the book with no partial credit, that they could go right into Algebra 1. If they struggled in Math 87 then Algebra 1/2 is recommended.

As for handpicking problems...I'm not sure that's a good idea with Saxon. If you are afraid the student is weak in some content areas, I would use something like Key to Algebra in the areas the student needs help in, or just go into Algebra 1/2.

Hi Amy,

Thanks so much for your response. He scored one 80, two 85s , and two 90s. Our tests aren't always given under the usual testing circumstances one may find in a traditional school (phone rings, dog barks, etc.) however those are the scores. Upon correction , he got them all right next time around and some were just silly mistakes.

As far as hand picking , I meant not for weak areas but for areas where I feel he is super fluent (which looks like a lot from a quick glance) and just to be sure myself in his fluency. 30 questions on areas where he is more than solid seems overkill although I am a big supporter of practice, practice, practice with math.

I'll have to look at alg 1/2 a little more closely to see if I still feel the same way now after the feedback I've received. However, any more input is 100% welcome.

Thanks so much!!

Sharon

married to dh 21 years

ds18 Williams College

dd 16 soph performing arts high school

ds 13 hs 7th grade

A lot of people, if they want to skip part of a Saxon book, just give the tests & skip the lessons until the student starts having scores below 80%. So that might be an option for you too, just give the tests in Algebra 1/2 until you get up into material that he doesn't know. Then start the regular lessons with the material directly before that failing test. The testing schedule in your test packet should tell you what lessons are covered up to which test. So if he gets 90% on a test that covers up to lesson 35 and 70% on a test that covers up to lesson 40, then you know to start with lesson 36.

I know a lot of people say not to skip any Saxon lessons, but I think up until Algebra I a lot of mathy kids can handle skipping a bit. My DD certainly didn't have any trouble with it. Once you hit Algebra I I wouldn't recommend it, though, the problems start to 'morph' in difficulty even when they are covering the same numbered lesson. There were several times, working through Algebra I on my own, that I'd realize that the lesson I was studying that day was in fact something I already knew how to do because it related to an earlier concept that had been gradually made more difficult through the homework problems. The homework problems slowly lead you by the hand through increasingly difficult variations, and it's not really obvious that's happening unless you actually do every single problem.

Personally, since there are just a couple months left in the school year, I'd skip ahead in Alg 1/2 using the tests to find a good starting point, and practice from there. I wouldn't want to start Algebra I and then interrupt it for summer break, the student would most likely forget too much. Of course if you school year round then never mind this whole last paragraph! :) Hope that helps!!

This really makes a lot of sense to me especially your point about starting alg.1 with only a few months left to the school year. He also enjoys doing the SAT question of the day and I could probably find other supplemental math for him to do in the interim.

Even though we do not school during the summer he has mentioned continuing with math throughout the summer so he can get to higher levels. Maybe we'll consider that if we run out of alg 1/2, supplemental options and he just wants more. Although he says that now and then summer seems to take on a whole other direction and doing math daily may not appeal much once the lazy, hazy days hit:001_smile:

Thanks,

Sharon

Sharon, the 8/7 Saxon book is my favorite text of theirs. With my youngest child, we moved straight from 8/7 to Algebra with no problems. I had used Algebra 1/2 as a transition point for my older son who had a a ps background in math and needed the extra work. Algebra 1/2 would have been tedious for the younger brother.

I should add that I use Foerster Algebra 1 for the youngest. We use the Saxon Algebra 1 for geometry problems and some review work. His transition to Foerster from Saxon 8/7 was seamless.

I guess this is my long way of saying that you can skip 1/2 with a clean conscience should you choose to do so.:D

According to Art Reed, who worked with John Saxon and taught students using Saxon, "Students who struggle through the last five or six tests in Math 8/7, receiving test scores below seventy-five, should proceed to Algebra 1/2 rather than attempting Algebra 1."

It sounds as though you'll skip Algebra 1/2 and go directly to Algebra 1.

According to Art Reed, who worked with John Saxon and taught students using Saxon, "Students who struggle through the last five or six tests in Math 8/7, receiving test scores below seventy-five, should proceed to Algebra 1/2 rather than attempting Algebra 1."

It sounds as though you'll skip Algebra 1/2 and go directly to Algebra 1.

This makes perfect sense. I also remember reading on the Saxon website awhile back that Algebra 1/2 was designed and intended to be used after the previous, older edition of Math 8/7. With the release of the newer edition of 8/7, most students completing it should then be ready to move straight on to Algebra 1.

Blessings,

Lucinda

My 13 yo ds just finished saxon 8/7 . I questioned which to put him in next, alg.1/2 or just alg. 1. The saxon person I communicate with when I have any questions about content etc gave me the impression that you certainly could go right into alg. 1 but he would recc. alg.1/2 first. Looked over the lessons last night and it just seems like a lot of repeat of what he just had. I am totally all about repitition in math however (and I guess since its midyear that we're moving on) it just seems a shame to go from the concepts he was learning at the end of 8/7 to many, many, many lessons of "busy work." Plus saxon seems to repeat so many previous concepts in continuing lessons that one does get to practice what hasn't been taught/thought about it in a period of time. I suggested to my saxon contact that I handpick certain problems from each lesson (although they explicitly frown upon this in other literature about saxon math) that I feel would give him adequate review and for me to be sure he is ready to move. However, he didn't agree with this and felt that nothing should be skipped in alg. 1/2. Anyone have any experience with this? Would really appreciate your thoughts.

Sharon

You could have him take the Saxon Algebra I placement test.

http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/HA/correlations/pdf/h/hs_a1_placement.pdf

Edited by fractalgal

You could have him take the Saxon Algebra I placement test.

http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/HA/correlations/pdf/h/hs_a1_placement.pdf

Be careful doing this. I've read, and maybe I'm wrong, but the placement tests are geared toward those that have not been using Saxon. A Saxon student might know enough of the method and with a bit of a stretch answer questions correctly but not understand the why part. I believe that was in Art Reed's book.

Of course, I don't believe in skipping lessons. If a program is well designed every lesson and every exercise is inserted on the pages for a reason. We don't do selected problems here. 30 a day seems reasonable, especially since they review a number of lessons and are not variations of the same problem. The latter is drill and kill. Why it's often said I don't believe Saxon is drill and kill.

A bit off subject but that's touchy for me.

Edited by Jim