Menu

Question for photographers and videographers...

Guest videofred

Canon lagged behind Nikon throughout the 60s and 70s as far as lens quality went. Nikon Nikkor lenses were always the top-of-the-line. Olympus Zuiko lenses were the best compact lenses. (Although the camera was what was compact, the lenses were pretty much the same size)

Then came Auto focus and Nikon didn't jump on that pony as fast as Canon did. That's why, today, you see the white lenses of Canon in the hands of professional photographers at all major sports events. They beat Nikon with the best professional auto-focus lenses and since then have owned the professional market.

However, your question isn't about auto-focus lenses. It's about standard lenses. Here's the thing. If you buy the cheaper adapters you'll find there's play in the seating of your lens. That puts part of your image out of focus. There's an adapter out there from Fotodiox that sells for around $80 bucks. It's half plastic and half metal but it has great reviews on Amazon and it's made to better tolerances than the cheap stuff.

Only there's always a catch. Since it's half plastic I'd recommend getting one for every lens you buy and leaving it on there. Which also means getting a Canon back cap for each lens.

There are some lenses out there that just demand awe. And, by way of disclosure I was an Olympus guy. I have an OM4 and an OM2. I have a passel of lenses and flashes and LOVE the OM system. I was praying for a digital back or a body that I could use but they went with the stupid 4/3rds system and that smaller chip is just awful at anything above 400 ISO. I guess they're getting better now but it's too late. I bought Nikon now.

Honestly, if I were you? I'd look at some of Canon glass before I spent money on the adapters and all that pain. The Canon AE-1 and the A line had a nice run in the 70s and they put out some nice lenses. I don't think you'd notice enough difference to warrant the hassle.

All other things being about equal, do you prefer Nikon lenses or Olympus Zuiko lenses?

If it makes a difference, I am looking at vintage primes in 28mm and 50mm to use for video with a Canon T3i.

Thanks!

How do you use the lenses for video?