Menu

William & Mary LA

I used the "Beyond Words" language arts written for 1st-2nd. I thought it gave my ds (2nd grade) a good challenge and really stretched him. It was mostly about metaphor/comparisons/change.

I did feel it was pretty expensive for how long it lasted. I was expecting more of a full-year curriculum, but it is only 20 lessons. Some lessons were more than one day, but still. Over $100 for about 6 weeks of instruction is pretty steep! I will use it again with dd in a couple years, though.

I am trying to decide if we will get another one next year. The price is definitely what is holding me back. I do think it was worth the time and effort for what ds got out of it.

We're afterschoolers and I'm a public educator. I saw another school library had the units and recently had them send it to me on the pony. It's full of direct teaching, strategies, organizers, and thorough lesson plans. If I get a chance I'll take a few pics and post. I actually think it would be appropriate for above mid to upper elementary if you substituted the reading examples for more challenging ones. The concepts taught though are still appropriate.

If your district has a Parent Resource Center they may let you check it out to look at.

Here's the lesson outline of topics:

Introduction & Preassessment

The Concept of Change

Language and Change

Adjectives

Similes & Metaphors

More about Metaphors

Creating Imagery

Using Context Clues

Owl Moon

Persuasive Writing

Analogies

Understanding Words in Context

Haiku & the Seasons

Personification

Symbols

Wordless Books

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick

Pictures Made of Words

Project Presentations

Unit Wrap-Up Post Assessment

AW

• 3 months later...

Here's the lesson outline of topics:

Introduction & Preassessment

The Concept of Change

Language and Change

Adjectives

Similes & Metaphors

More about Metaphors

Creating Imagery

Using Context Clues

Owl Moon

Persuasive Writing

Analogies

Understanding Words in Context

Haiku & the Seasons

Personification

Symbols

Wordless Books

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick

Pictures Made of Words

Project Presentations

Unit Wrap-Up Post Assessment

AW

Dredging up an old thread to ask: which unit is this? I have lesson plans on these exact books that I have similarly devised myself and it may save me time if I could just get the unit. Love, love the Harris Burdick book. Thanks!

(I'm editing this add a header with a link to the thread I started RE the Beyond Words unit; there is some discussion about Jr. Great Books there, and descriptions of a few lessons in more detail.)

I used the "Beyond Words" language arts written for 1st-2nd. I thought it gave my ds (2nd grade) a good challenge and really stretched him. It was mostly about metaphor/comparisons/change.

I did feel it was pretty expensive for how long it lasted. I was expecting more of a full-year curriculum, but it is only 20 lessons. Some lessons were more than one day, but still. Over $100 for about 6 weeks of instruction is pretty steep! I will use it again with dd in a couple years, though.

I am trying to decide if we will get another one next year. The price is definitely what is holding me back. I do think it was worth the time and effort for what ds got out of it.

It is 20 lessons, but is meant to span a semester of work. It would be supplemented with, for example, MCT vocab/grammar; Wordly Wise; and Junior Great Books (these suggestions are from the advice for using this unit with "self-contained gifted classes). For a homeschooler this is a pricey option; I hope to have a better idea as to its value after I use it!!!

Dredging up an old thread to ask: which unit is this? I have lesson plans on these exact books that I have similarly devised myself and it may save me time if I could just get the unit. Love, love the Harris Burdick book. Thanks!

... it looks like you found this already, but that's the list for Beyond Words (grades 1-2). :)

Edited by serendipitous journey