Menu

Handwriting instruction for lefties?

Jonibee

Here's the problem I have with every cursive writing book I've looked at:

When the child has to copy the word, the space is on the right side of the word. Thus, the child has to cover the word they are copying -- and remember the letter formations in their head -- while they try to write the word.

This is such a disadvantage to right-handers. The right-handed student can look directly at the word they are copying and move their hand while glancing back and forth from what they are writing to the word they are copying.

I am so frustrated by this! I have copied every page of the books my son is using, so that he can have the word on a separate piece of paper.

Just wanting to vent, I suppose. Child #6, my first lefty. sigh.

I understand completely! This was a challenge for my dd and a challenge for my ds now. However, I did just discover this book from EPS. Their handwriting samples are on the right of the page and the workbook is spiraled at the top.

Edited by atozmom

I understand completely! This was a challenge for my dd and a challenge for my ds now. However, I did just discover this book from EPS. Their handwriting samples are on the right of the page and the workbook is spiraled at the top.

Could you try that link again? It just pulls up my shopping cart on CBD, not a product page.

Gosh, I do understand completely. I'm left-handed and if I had one wish right now it would probably be to be right handed. :lol:

The WORST bit of being a left-hander is smudging. I am constantly smudging words because the side of my palm brushes against them, and if I don't use my palm as a guide/brace then my writing ends up even more illegible. Maybe I should of become a doctor :lol:

I hope you find a solution honey xxx

I can't seem to pull up their Web site right now, but doesn't HWT put their lines underneath the words to help lefties with that exact problem? They also use a cursive font with no slant.

The letter/s they are learning are up above, but the words they are to copy are on the left side of the page. The review and mastery pages have the examples up top, but the actual lessons for each letter are not like that. Here is a sample from HWOT. I am selling my brand new copy of Cursive Handwriting for this very reason.

Here is an example on RR in case you can't get the HWOT site to work.

THANK YOU for sharing this! My lefty 2nd grade son has struggled with the same thing the OP described, but this book looks like it could help immensely. Love this board! :D